camper for F250

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just my 2 cents on Alaskan Campers. Hard sided it takes about 15 or so pumps to get the top all the way up , I need the low height when down here in the city, parts are hard to find and it really forces you to be sparse and organized. I have the 8 ft cabover its a 76 the prices vary but I like mine.

wagoneer said:
Just my 2 cents on Alaskan Campers...

Thanks wagoneer,

I like Alaskans. I think I'll just get a topper for now. Money is too tight atm. Kids and grandkids birthdays coming up. A daughter has a baby due in a couple weeks and she'll need help (6 hours away). Then Thanksgiving and Christmas. Best I can hope for in the short run is RTR in a tent and topper; then start looking again in the spring.

However, I will have questions about my truck soon. Still no check today from SS. *sigh*

I might have to sell my house, if I want a new-ish camper. I don't even want to think about that right now.

I just missed out on a Northstar popup in northern Minnesota for $500. That one went in a day;)

I can't buy a $2k - $3k camper until spring (I'll get my second early release of funds from SS then). But thank you! I'm gonna shoot for RTR after I make it through the holidays.

I haven't even figured out how much gas will cost in my 3/4 ton. Google says it is almost 1,800 miles to Quartzsite from my house. I Googled MPG: "Up to 14 city / 18 highway"

Sooo... at 16 MPG (average) and $2.85 per gallon that is $320.00 one way?! OMG. No wonder so many stay there all winter. I might be circling Illinois for a year or so;)

Got my truck today. The salesman said the brakes are supposed to be squishy. I told him I can hear air every time I press them... he said it is normal.

And, I told him that I was told that they can't sell vehicles with bad brakes. He said that is false... they can sell anything as long as it is disclosed. And they only have to check for safety. In my case, the mechanic gave it the OK. Plus, the salesman said he drives a PU and my brakes are normal.

Anyway, I bought it "as is." I just hope it doesn't cost me much in repairs. Some things I missed:

The panel is very loose on the drivers side door. So loose I have to shut the door by grabbing the corner window frame. Also, no blinkers work. The emergency flashers work, but no blinkers (turn signals).

And, the drivers side window doesn't always go up (power windows). The motor seems fine but it slips and I have to pull it up.

Other than that, I love it!

boy, that vehicle would never have cleared inspection for the used car dealers I used to do work for. we would have fixed ALL the issues you pointed out.

so there is a sucking of air noise when you push on the brakes? if so that is true it's probably not a safety issue. there is a foam filter on the brake booster that sits inside the firewall in the passenger compartment. when this filter fails you can here the air being sucked into the booster. however they hardly ever fail unless the booster is very, very old.

lube the window that gets hung up. why do you say it slips? can you hear the motor still running when the window stops?

I can't believe they sold you a vehicle without working turn signals. that would never fly here in CA. that is a safety issue.

highdesertranger

I clicked the link in the post  ( TexasSturgis) for Bel Air Camper Shell the look great and would be pretty easy to set up a nice lightweight Travel Home if I didn't have the Suburban Build going on I would consider.
Peace & Blessings
MikesGonenoMAD

Carla618
If your receiving USA Social Security Disability I believe you can earn $1000-$1200 a month before they subtract any money, of course, if you're getting any other type of assistance like Food Stamps-Health Care you may lose some and possibly pay more for other. My advice is to really get the facts for sure before changing your plans. My area has a group called SHINE its volunteers with expertise in theses matter that assist Seniors and folks with Disabilities they were a big help for me to secure a Special Medication with a $45,000 yearly cost for Zero Co-Pay!

I know a family member who lost 10 years of Social Security because she thought Her Deceased Husband didn't pay in enough:) I nagged her for years to apply it turns out that he had paid taxes for 25 years before they married:) she lost out on over $100,000 in widow benefits that would have changed her life! But on a side note that Lady worked 3 Jobs 6 Days a week saved her home worked till she was 76 (company closed) all the while living with pain from 2 Chronic Illnesses!

I sometimes get that feeling that many of have about surviving as a Nomad. I believe every one of us has the instinct to survive it is in our DNA I believe if your mentally & physically capable all of us can survive on the road with proper planning. I remember reading Bob's Blogs about so many who lost there Jobs & Homes and were forced to live a Nomad Life if they can do it those of us who plan ahead should have no problem living a life of Freedom & Independence!

Sorry for the Rant! I feel like the Horse in the pen waiting for the race to begin!
Peace & Blessings!
MikesGonenoMAD

highdesertranger said:
boy,  that vehicle would never have cleared inspection for the used car dealers I used to do work for.  we would have fixed ALL the issues you pointed out.

so there is a sucking of air noise when you push on the brakes? 

The salesman said they prefer to give locals a shot at cheap cars before sending them out of town to auction. It's a big dealership. The truck was really cheap. It's a '95 with 93K miles for $2K. $2.5k with taxes, registration, etc. Same owner (a farmer) for 17 years, then second owner for 6 years. Now me.

The pedal goes to the floor when I apply the brakes. And I hear air escaping at, or near, the pedal. I'm not used to that. They seem to work fine.

I have bluetooth for the first time. That's something;)

I'll try to share pics of it in a few minutes.

MikesGonenoMAD said:
Carla618
If your receiving USA Social Security Disability I believe you can earn $1000-$1200 a month before they subtract any money, of course, if you're getting any other type of assistance like Food Stamps-Health Care you may lose some and possibly pay more for other. My advice is to really get the facts for sure before changing your plans.

My local office said there are two kinds of disability. One is for people who regularly paid into social security over the years. And the other is for people who did not pay enough into social security... I did not pay enough, so I get SSI instead. Maybe rules are different for SSI, but they are super strict here. The man who said he was the asst. regional manager (or some title) was not very nice. He implied that the early release of funds for the truck was a gift of sorts (from him apparently). He said it's very rare to get an early release of funds for a vehicle.

Anyway, I was told that if I work, every penny I make is deducted from the $750 I get in disability per month. I don't get any type of assistance, because I get child support. My youngest turns 18 this year. I have 5 kids.

I had heard the same thing you said... that you can make $1060. I guess that is for people on the other kind of disability. Also, I can't ever have more than $2k.

The good news is, I did ok with the non-stress test for my heart last week. Just one more hurdle (fixing my thyroid) then I may get knee replacement:)

Edit: also, if I make over a certain amount ($1,060, IIRC) or have more than $2K in my bank, I get kicked off.

highdesertranger said:
lube the window that gets hung up. why do you say it slips?  can you hear the motor still running when the window stops?

Sorry, I didn't reply about the window. Had my grandbaby here tonight.

When driving home from the dealership the window worked fine. Later in the day when I raised the drivers window the motor didn't stop when it reached the top. So the window was kinda bumping at the top (fully closed). No biggie, but later when I went to put the window up it only went up a few inches. The motor was still trying to raise it. I pulled on the window and it rose a few more inches. Finally I helped it all the way up.

That is on the door that has the really loose panel.

The brakes are your biggest problem.  Do you have anyone you can ask about them.  Perhaps a friend of yours has a mechanic who would at least give you an opinion.  I've sold a lot of cars in my life but never one with bad brakes.

The salesman said what I was feeling and hearing was normal for a F250. I haven't had a PU in 25 years. Plus I'm getting kinda old, so I don't know what is to be expected. I'll take it somewhere this week to be looked at. I asked the salesman if the dealership would fix them, if another shop says they are bad. He said no, because I'm buying it as is.

Wish I knew more about cars/trucks. I just know if I felt brakes like that in a car, I'd have no doubt they were bad. But the salesman said my son & I aren't familiar enough with trucks (one son has a Chevy Silverado and the other a Ford Laredo F150). But, none of us have any kind of mechanical training nor experience.

Thanks closanuf. And thanks to everyone who posted help. I really appreciate it. And, I feel like I'm becoming a nuisance here:( I'll get it to a shop this week. Trying again to share a pic.

Edit: I just moved to this city two years ago, so I don't know any mechanics. I did take my van to my local shop (just blocks away), but he charged me $80 just to tell me he couldn't find the problem. So I took it to the Ford dealership and found out my new-ish battery was bad. I'd love to know a good, trustworthy mechanic.

Attachments

• truck2.jpg
    truck2.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 3
Carla , once you turn 65 your disability rolls over to ssi , one that happens you can work .

bedholes.jpgbedoutlet.jpgbeddashoutlet.jpg
Smitty716 said:
Carla , once you turn 65 your disability rolls over to ssi , one that happens you can work .

Good to know, Smitty! Thanks.

Re the brakes, today I found out that my daughter's boyfriend's dad is a Ford tech at a dealership. He's going to look over my truck this week.

Some things on the truck that I'm curious about are:

holes drilled in the bed
a covered outlet on side of bed
an outlet in the dashboard

I'll add pics.

Also, there are two gas tanks and one button for front/rear tanks. Do people just make sure both tanks always have gas? What if I switch tanks and I switch to one that is on empty? Will the truck stall? I wanted to try the button but was afraid I might run out of gas, if the other tank was empty.

Attachments

• bedholes.jpg
    bedholes.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 15
  • bedoutlet.jpg
    bedoutlet.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 14
  • beddashoutlet.jpg
    beddashoutlet.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 12
If not mistaken, the one inside the bed was a fifth wheel plug . On fifth wheels a lot of times they will go threw the bed for the plug in for wiring . That’s the big hole , there Should be 8 smaller holes where the fifth wheel hitch mounted

Carla618 said:
Some things on the truck that I'm curious about are:

holes drilled in the bed
a covered outlet on side of bed
an outlet in the dashboard

I'll add pics.

Also, there are two gas tanks and one button for front/rear tanks. Do people just make sure both tanks always have gas? What if I switch tanks and I switch to one that is on empty? Will the truck stall? 

Holes in bed over where the frame is and the 7 pin trailer wiring harness points to a hitch that was removed.  They pulled a trailer and the plug is where the trailer plugged in for lights/brakes, etc.  I think you said a farmer had it so makes sense.

The outlet in the dashboard appears to be a factory 12V power outlet.  Not sure though.

Two gas tanks.  Leave engine off, switch tanks and see what the fuel gauge says. You will stall if you switch to an empty tank and the engine is running.  If you have the owner's manual it will tell you how to operate the second tank if it was a factory option.

I had an old van that I put a second tank on but it did not connect to the fuel gauge.  This was before fuel injection.  I don't recommend this as the fuel is the coolant for the fuel pump in fuel injected engines.  I would switch to the main tank in town or low speeds because starting an old engine with a mechanical fuel pump could take a while.  I would drive on the highway until it ran out and switch so my momentum would turn the engine over so I didn't have to crank it.  Again, I do not recommend running a fuel injected engines' tank dry.

I always filled both tanks.  You never know when that second tank could come in handy.  Sure was nice to not stop all the time for gas but it hurt the pocket book when I did.  I carried 50 gallons both full.

B and C , my 83 gmc has 2 tanks one one either side . I always use the passenger side tank first and switch when I get down to a quarter tank . That way when the driver side tank get low I have that reserve to find a station

Latest posts