Calling all nomads in the East

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello, everyone. Picking up a SUV that I plan on dwelling out of (have a popup camper but changing plan for something a little easier on gas and space usage). And should be on the road part time starting in a couple weeks (til I've save up enough for things like solar power station and whatnot then it'll be full time). I have family and friends all over the country so I'll likely be in the east once in a while. Particularly in Alabama during the winter holiday season to visit family. I'm definitely interested in joining up with the caravan if it gets going :) I'm also fully vaccinated myself.

Hello,
The hope is that caravans will begin again this Fall. Actually Bob mentioned this in his last live feed atating "im sure we can get the caravans going again by fall"
As we know.... Many things can change between now and then but at least we are moving in the right direction it seems.

North Eastern Maryland here. Not on the road yet but once I get more settled in and know a few people I might not mind some decent folk taking up a parking spot (the really big boys probably wouldn't make the turn in though) for a night or two now and again (I'm a bit distant with people sometimes so it's a trust thing first and foremost, I've been burned before so...). Been having occasional backyard "drive-in" nights here now and again for friends so what's a few more faces at that point maybe.

Edit: Side note I'm no expert but I also know which end of a wrench to point at the bolt and not to lick the red wire so in the event that someone has a minor issue in the area I might be able to help out.

Currently in the Cincy area on the Ohio River.

As we get closer to the fall of 2021 I will be meandering south. Probably stop for a couple weeks around Asheville NC. Then on to the Panhandle for a couple months.

I'd enjoy meeting up with folks along the way. I'll subscribe to this thread and check in as things go forward.

Matlock, I don’t wanna add any confusion here because summer planning a get together but… There are enough of us going south to Florida that we ought to get together somewhere in Florida at least for a couple of days.

Matlock said:
Probably stop for a couple weeks around Asheville NC.
Don't forget to stop into the Pinball Museum while you're there if you haven't before.

Last weekend of October 2021.... Smoky Mountains NC

Cool mountain air, pleasant weather, private camping, cell towers nearby, good food with great fishing and mountain sightseeing.

I've been going to this area for 48-years and recommend it for safety and a pleasant experience. Simply put.... it's a fun trip.

This is a private van gathering, so no details will be posted online.

PM me with any questions, if you wish to join us.

Nature Lover

Id like to plan something, maybe sometime close to first part of November. There is a good spot in Oceola NF (north Fl). Google West Tower Campgound. Its NF 14 day free with flush toilet and drinking water. There is a large open area in front that can park 10-12 rigs.

I’ve been planning on leaving for Florida the week before Thanksgiving. I could make it earlier if I had to. So when you get something firm let me know and I’ll see if it suits. Blessings on you.

"close to first part of November. There is a good spot in Oceola NF (north Fl). Google West Tower Campgound"

Sounds good...keep me posted, please.

Hello All,
Lets put a thought in motion!!! Just putting this out for those who might be interested in a group camp / caravan starting in late November 2021.
 Location: West Tower Camp, Osceola National Forest, Lake City Florida. I camped here for over a month last year for free (will explain below)

Campgound info:
First come first serve
No electric
Campfires OK
Potable water and vault toilets
Trash dumpsters
Good Cell /Internet (I have Sprint/T Mobile)
Large open area for group camp / fire pit plus many smaller more private sites in a wooded area with huge pines.

This location is large enough for any size rig. Dirt forest road in about 4 miles which is maintained very well.

This is a 14 day free location with a twist. The camp becomes a "hunt camp" during deer hunting season which runs mid November to mid January. During hunt season the 14 day stay limit is lifted and anyone can stay throughout deer season. I was here last year for a month thru deer season without issue. Heard maybe a handful of distant gunshots all month.
So, I would like to know if there are enough people to plan a gathering starting around thanksgiving 2021? 
Id really like to only plan on 10 - 15 rigs but then again the campground is first come first serve. 

My hope is that we can begin caravans in the eastern US by way of this initial group gathering. I would also like to make a few long time nomads available for a few that are just starting out. Help a couple new vandwellers with their builds, etc.

Please let me know if you are interested, any ideas you have to serve the community with this gathering, and any other suggestions or comments.

Thanksgiving sounds perfect. Count me (and my Rav4 Wren Tin Tent) in, please!

FREE Camping - Campground Review - West Tower Campground, FL - YouTube

Video from West Tower mentioned in my las post.
Minor changes since the above video was made
1) The tower is "closed" however the gate was open in Nov 2020 and I climbed to the top and survived 
2) November 2020 the flush toilet/shower was closed due to covid restrictions but may or may not be usable by Nov 2021
3) the neighbors dogs mentioned- I hardly noticed them

Everything else in the video was accurate as of November - December 2020

GypsyJan said:
Thanksgiving sounds perfect. Count me (and my Rav4 Wren Tin Tent) in, please!
Will do.

Something I forgot to add. Lake City has everything anyone could need. Walmart, Harbor Freight, Home Depot, etc all within 10-15 miles

I'm interested! I'm a new suvdweller (heading out on the road for the first time in a week or two) so doesn't take up space much at all. I do have a pop up camper that I'll be towing with the intention of converting it into a kind of screened pop up porch with light and all (plus I'll be selling the rooftop ac on it if anybody's interested in it). So I may bring the camper and park it where it can be used communually for this caravan if it's agreeable with the crowd.

Gonna be keeping an eye on this thread. Thanks for getting this organized!

Hello vgilbert, I would like to join you and others at the West Tower Camp in November. I would also like to Thank You for getting this organized.

Hello All,
Mid November is looking good at the moment, pending and major disasters or pandemics....

The plan as of now below. This is simply my camp schedule and is NOT at this time affiliated with HOWA. However, the question of East Coast caravans came up on Bob's live feed today so I did email both Bob and Suanne.
There are 3 National Forest in Florida: Ocala, Apalachicola, and Osceola> All have 14 day free camping. Therefore we could run 3 groups (id like to limit to 10 rigs each) and rotate between the 3 National Forest to stay within the 14 day/25 mile rule.

Here is the schedule as it stands today. Subject to change but will get more concrete as comments, suggestions come in and we get closer.
Nov 14 to Nov 21 at Osceola NF, Nov 22 to Dec 5 at Apalachicola NF, Dec 6 to Dec 19 at Ocala NF (limited to 10 Rigs)

If we get more than 10 rigs to start the second group can start in Ocala then move to Osceola and Apalachicola

Another 10 can start in Apalachicola, then move to Osceola /Ocala
The idea being that 3 groups of 10 rotating to 3 National Forest every 14 days

Please post thoughts, suggestions, etc
Looking forward to some camp togethers this fall/winter in warm Florida!

Sounds like a great plan and at this time I am in. But being a true nomad schedules don’t mean much to me. I sure would like to be part of this. Just a suggestion there ought to be a way that some part of the day or evening we could all get together at least once have a big East Coast gathering for a couple of hours and then back to our respective caravans. What do you think?

Larger Gatherings>
My thought is to get together in a larger group every few months or so. The problem in the East with large groups is space. There is a post in this thread about a place in Kentucky (I think its Kentucky). If I remember right the space rents for $100 and can fit many, many rigs.

I love the thought of larger get togethers but we will have to find the space with rules that will allow us to do so

Hey what if I'm right on the mississippi River? In memphis? Anyone close by? I could really use some help( mostly advice) on my van build. Im a new full timer and altho Ive been living in my van, I plan on making my first real trip to galveston, tx, then on to corpus Christi then back over to mobile alabama. I plan to follow the entire coast east from there until I end up at Niagra falls. I would love to take part in any gatherings in the fall on the east coast.