Calling all nomads in the East

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turns out the ones that showed left a couple days ago. Would have been nice to have been informed before I drove several hours to get there. There were non-nomad campers there and it was a bit too crammed for me anyway. Plus the bathroom shack was closed. Perhaps when East Coast caravans are formed, there will be a better communication format...specifically exchanging direct text and email contacts in case of another forum crash.

I camped at the West Tower Hunt Camp on Sunday night (21st). After listening to the constant noise from the dogs and generator, I drove into the woods past the huge pot holes where I got a good nights sleep. The next morning as I was leaving I did notice the green box truck mentioned in post 98. I did not realize that was a member until later when I got on-line.

I wonder how many people showed up and looked around and then left? I could still hear the dogs and generator from my spot in the woods but it was not bad. The dogs barking reminded me of when I went into an animal shelter and 30 dogs started to bark at once. haha.

I went back to the the camp site a couple days later and did not notice any new campers so I left. Scott was gone too.

Hopefully, the eastern caravan will happen this winter. 

Tomorrow I will head south.

Allan.

Thanks for the input. Too bad it didn’t turn out well. I was going to go but since I’m brand new at this and it would be my first time out I decided to wait for something more organized. Would like to meet you all and attend another event. I live in Florida.

Hello Easter nomads. I have seen for sometime that our real need in the East is communication. I have been working on a plan for months and shared it with Gilbert, I have yet to hear of his reaction. I will be ready by the beginning of next week to launch it for the rest of you. There are a Couple of drawbacks The worst of which is simple you’ll have to have a free google account to access it. But I think that’s a lot better than being on Facebook which I dropped because of the politics and others refuse to use it too.
A positive about this is it will be private only those who are members will be able to read and post on this site. So there’s no way for the general public to see where we are located and what we are talking about. This site will enable us to give us much or as little information about our individual whereabouts as each individual chooses. There is the potential for trading and selling items here among us on the east. On Bob’s sites it is of centered on the west. Naturally that’s where most of the members are located. Compared to them we eastern or to a small group but we still need contact with each other. Just a note this is not anti-anything CRVL and HOWA are doing. This is just to make communications among we eastern nomads better. There will be much more information coming out the beginning of next week and time for you folks to comment on what you think of it before it gets launched. If there are any comments now you can PM me I would be glad to hear from all.

I am sorry that the caravan in Florida did not materialize the way we all hoped it would. Even my traveling to Florida this year is in question. I don’t want to be an icicle but I may not get down to the warmth of Florida this year. But we can still communicate among ourselves.

Why the secrecy? You’ll miss lots of new members by going away from here. I don’t understand why the location of the last camp out wasn’t posted for all to see so they could decide on going or not.

All I know is I'm in Tarpon springs and will be within100 miles of here for a couple of weeks anybody wants to get together message me.

Cammalu said:
Why the secrecy? You’ll miss lots of new members by going away from here. I don’t understand why the location of the last camp out wasn’t posted for all to see so they could decide on going or not.

I second this.

I don’t understand why people looking for gatherings here would be directed to a secret and private page somewhere else, on which to plan gatherings with people here.

Most people don’t share on public forums their phone numbers, anyway, in my experience.

Cam and Rose,

I don’t know why there was such a secrecy about publishing The location of this first attempt at a caravan. And I don’t intend that this new system be the be-all that Ends all. If caravans are published through HOWA or CRVL I don’t care. The reason my system has a members only priority is that some people don’t want to share their private location and some other information with the general public. And there are the things that could be shared on there that might not be shared if anyone could read it. But as far as caravans and that kind of thing I have no problem with them being published here or on HOWA.
I am not involved with the planning of those caravans this communication system I’m working on is totally different I don’t wanna step on anybody’s toes and take anybody’s job away from them.

“The reason my system has a members only priority is that some people don’t want to share their private location and some other information with the general public. And there are the things that could be shared on there that might not be shared if anyone could read it.”

Many, if not most, would like to know who is going to be at a gathering before planning to attend, travel and arrive.

Most attending gatherings organized online share very limited personal information publicly, in my experience.

And once you state a plan to be at a specific location, that would still then be “public” within the group of basically strangers, right?

And then would there be a new “private group” for every gathering or caravan?

W Rose you are correct. This communication thing I’m talking about is not really related to caravans. I expect that the caravans in the east will eventually be handled the way the caravans in the west are, Through HOWA. What I have in mind is communicating all sorts of things. We could talk about the caravans on this system they don’t have to be exclusive to our communications they can be on CRVL or HOWA. But things like selling or trading things among the eastern people. Knowing where people are if you need help etc. I don’t see that it Has to be exclusive but can’t understand why someone who’s not a nomad on the East Coast would want to be involved. But I am open to any suggestions and that’s what you folks are giving me so thank you. I think I’m going to launch it on a trial basis and if people want changes - The largest room on earth is the room for improvement. I think you all know me by now, I only want what’s good for all. God bless all the nomads East and west.

So you are talking about basically a private group for Eastern nomads, who can become a mutually supportive community mostly just amongst themselves, much like the more southwestern nomads are, correct?

An interesting concept, and I will be watching to see how it develops.

Rose, you got it. I think you said it better than I did. There are just so many things good about what Bob and Suanne and others have done, I don’t want to compete with or replace that. But there are some things that don’t have to be held on a national level. If for no other reason than convenience. I plan to still be active on this forum and eventually someday, if I live, get to an RTR. But I think we can be a real supportive network for each other here in the east and still participate in the national forum and everything else Bob and Suanne do.

Anyone in the Carolinas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in NC often in the Smoky Mountains... right beside a wild mountain trout river that's loaded with fish, or letting my solar panels soak up the solar rays on my cargo trailer, or sitting beside the river eating good food at a diner that's been there for over 50-years. I can't find a better place to go in the east, and I've tried for 70-years.

@ Camper

Sounds wonderful there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JeanInaBox said:
Anyone in the Carolinas?

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I'm also in NC -[/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] Raleigh, to be specific. Living on the road, but working from a fixed location

[/font]
-----------------------------------------------

Returning to the bigger question of getting something going on the Right Coast, would it be helpful to start with something small that could help to start building community? I'm thinking something such as a weekend gathering. Somewhere in the Carolinas might be a good because of the centrality of the location. I'm guess there's opportunities closer to the Appalachians, and I know that I've stayed at dispersed camping at Uwharrie NF, not too far from Charlotte

Spent the last month or so in NC myself. Kind of like Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill.
Want to go check out Asheville and western NC when I get back down there in a couple days.
Probably going to be bouncing up and down the east coast for the next month.

Hi all! One benefit of the new platform is that I've been getting digests in my inbox! Which reminded me of this forum. It's been an utter whirlwind since I first joined - got the van, built it out in two months, took off to meet my partner half way across the country as he cycled across the states, then a month chasing fall color in New England.

I'm based in the DC area and am planning a VA/NC/KY/TN/WV circuit for later this winter and I noticed some mentions of good boondocking spots in the Smoky Mountains and other parts of these states. Do any of you have any specific reccys? My preference is for scenery over parking lots, though van-friendly towns will be necessary for workdays.

Hope something comes together for a meetup next year. Green Ridge State Forest in MD has group sites that can be reserved. Their standard sites don't have loos, but I don't know about the group sites. WV has free dispersed camping sites too and I've seen that some are sort of in a semi-circle where we could fit several rigs together.

20 min or so from Blue Licks Battlefield Kentucky State Park here. Not ready for a caravan but a single, or group of less than 5 could pit stop here for a night, a day, or a week to do repairs, recharge, etc free but a donation of something or pulling some weeds from the garden would be nice. It meets most the criteria for awesome van-life base, and more :)

Has the OP been around lately? He was the retired firefighter IIR...