Calling all nomads in the East

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
travlin man and wife said:
West tn and west ky land between the lakes has a grassy group camp with 18 tables dumpster pit toilet. $50 for one week  $100 for two weeks . can hold 200 campers but only about 100 vans.
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]travlin man and wife Welcome to the thread,[/font]
Sounds nice! I have been to land between the lakes on fishing trips but never camped.
Keep the favorite spots coming! Post all of your favorite free or ultra cheap spots so we can compile a list.

That $50 and$100 dollers is for the group  site not per person  .should  have put that in first post. Price could be covered by donations  at the event.

travlin man and wife said:
That $50 and$100 dollers is for the group  site not per person  .should  have put that in first post. Price could be covered by donations  at the event.
Great! I was assuming it was a flat $100

We are on the road for four years now, until now only in the east. So we had our portion of 'hard to boondock'. That is... We never stay at a paid campground.
Mostly boondocking. (Walmart, Cracker barrel, Sam's club, Publix, boat ramps, neighborhood, abandoned places, etc)

We're currently in Florida and next month we'll move to the Panhandle, thru Alabama up to Michigan.
On this trip we're gonna try to stay at hosts from Boondockers Welcome.

I have a stop over in KY I’ll be at this summer if you come thru there.

Cammalu said:
I have a stop over in KY I’ll be at this summer if you come thru there.
I hope to be in the Western US until fall before heading back to Indiana to visit family and friends then had back south (Florida) sometime in October.
After exchanging e-mails with reps from HOWA my hope is that the caravans can start again late this year including in the Eastern US. We wait to see what the CDC guidelines are in regards to group gatherings as HOWA will not support them until the all clear is given. 
But, with all that said we have been given the blessing to use this forum to plan and even set up camp togethers on our own.

I'm in MA. There are some good spots in Maine, a few here that I've been wanting to check out. Also have a few friends with private property who might consider a not too large caravan group. That is if anyone wants to come this far north!

Hello from the mid Ohio Valley.   I live where Ohio, Kentucky, and West Virginia come together.  We call it
"KYOVA". 

I mentioned this new West Virginia program for Remote Workers to relocate to West Virginia the other day.  Perhaps there are some remote worker nomads who may want to have a meet up in West Virginia to check this out.

Post #63

West Virginia: New Program seeks to attract remote workers with interest in the outdoors

I have summer plans in the UP and then plan to head east late August to do some visiting and roaming.

I have had my eye on the newly opened New River Gorge National Park north of Beckley, WVa on my way back to the Midwest.

https://www.nps.gov/neri/planyourvisit/camping.htm

My maternal grandmother was born and raised on Droop Mountain, so I like to get my feet in that area periodically.

Mid to late September.

Wanderingrose if you come thru KY I have a place for you to camp.

Great! Have kayaks and near a river if you are so inclined

2blonds2usa said:
We are on the road for four years now, until now only in the east. So we had our portion of 'hard to boondock'. That is... We never stay at a paid campground.
Mostly boondocking. (Walmart, Cracker barrel, Sam's club, Publix, boat ramps, neighborhood, abandoned places, etc)

We're currently in Florida and next month we'll move to the Panhandle, thru Alabama up to Michigan.
On this trip we're gonna try to stay at hosts from Boondockers Welcome.
Boondockers Welcome... It's the first I've heard of them. Seems van dwellers don't qualify. Am I correct?

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Michigan is a great trip!  Manistee National Forest has plenty of boondocking spots and of course the UP is wide open.
Enjoy!!
Please keep track of the thread as I am still hopeful we can put together something towards the end of 2021

East coast folks.... hope to meet more soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking forward to meeting many of our eastern nomads. Hope I can make it. We’ll see.

Welcome Jean!
Fingers crossed for this fall. We are hoping that the CDC lifts restrictions on formal gatherings and we can get something going in the Eastern US

GOOD NEWS!!
If you have not heard, Per CDC Director Walensky: "if you have been fully vaccinated, you can start doing the things that you have stopped doing because of the pandemic"
NO social distancing, gather with others who have been vaccinated, and NO MASK!
Looks like we are getting closer.

CDC **** up? Just when a double variant shows up in USA. Reference India. How do you know someone has vaccination or just don't want a mask?

Just like before the pandemic, if you choose to gather and caravan that is your personal choice. If you choose not to, that is also your personal choice.

COVID will most likely be with us for a very long time. But... Just like viruses of past, the answer is the vaccine, and with that vaccine we will most likely need boosters as the virus mutates. There is a different strain of Influenza every year, hence the yearly booster. 

Life is full of risk. however, it appears that we now have a solid defense against COVID and can begin to transition back to doing the things we have given up over the past year or so. 
Hopeful that HOWA begins organizing in person gatherings soon  :thumbsup: