Buddy heaters and high altitude

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimindenver

Reaction score
I have always warned those using the Buddy heaters that they are suppose to be limited to 7000 ft or less according to their instructions. I assumed that the lack of oxygen at 9-10,000 ft would keep the pilot flame too low and the heater would shut itself off. So I was surprised when a friend at the Colorado GTG had no problem using his Mr Heater at 9500 ft.

Are there others that use their Buddy heaters up here or is it possible Dave's Buddy heater has a faulty sensor?

jimindenver said:
I have always warned those using the Buddy heaters that they are suppose to be limited to 7000 ft or less according to their instructions. I assumed that the lack of oxygen at 9-10,000 ft would keep the pilot flame too low and the heater would shut itself off. So I was surprised when a friend at the Colorado GTG had no problem using his Mr Heater at 9500 ft.
Thanks for the info. I don't see myself camping at altitudes of in excess of 7,000 ft in the colder times of year, but you never know?
I suppose Dave's unit could either have a faulty sensor, "or" could possibly be a dirty or partially clogged jet?

Just a guess on my part:

I'm sure it does stop running above a certain altitude.  Probably a large plus or minus involved in exactly what altitude.  Probably the damnlawyers tell them to claim a figure lower than it's likely to be, for liability reasons.

last year at the end of May we used one at 7,500 feet worked fine for us. it was chilly, it snowed on us. highdesertranger

Mine worked at 10,000 feet (Molas Pass CO).  BUT!! It took some coaxing to get it to light and stay lit.  Would light only with both side barn doors open and had to leave one door open several inches for it to stay lit.  Only ran it 15 mins ? Or less to take the morning chill off.

Mine would not work in Flagstaff Arizona during a single digit December but worked fine below in Tucson and several locations before and after some above 6000'. Now I know how much ventilation is needed and always make sure I have it I think a Wave III would be the way to go if I were in high cold country.

Well, cold air is denser so there is more oxygen to be had. Not to mention that when you want to use the heater it is extra cold so even more air density.
Highest I used mine was about 7,000ft and I never had an issue at all. Though I did prefer to light it with a long grill type lighter. Just thought it more consistent.

I was at 11000 ft last month,  and it worked. ..but it was "right fitful "

Not always. .  But definitely at 10K,  it worked.

bullfrog said:
Mine would not work in Flagstaff Arizona during a single digit December but worked fine below in Tucson and several locations before and after some above 6000'. Now I know how much ventilation is needed and always make sure I have it I think a Wave III would be the way to go if I were in high cold country.

I'm in Flagstaff,  and  mine works.   But I'm guessing that if it got much colder it wouldn't.

There is no low oxygen sensor in a Buddy Heater, instead they use a special pilot light jet where the flame lifts off and goes out if there isn't enough oxygen. When the pilot light goes out the thermocouple shuts down the heater.

However it works if someone is where I was when I posted the thread, they had better have on high here soon. It will be 24 F here in Denver tomorrow only 5000 ft below where I was then.

The buddy manual I looked at said the unit has an oxygen depletion sensor.

Yes, that's what the manual says but there is no actual sensor.

jimindenver said:
However it works if someone is where I was when I posted the thread, they had better have on high here soon. It will be 24 F here in Denver tomorrow only 5000 ft below where I was then.

But you've got your Max to keep you warm!   :D

pnolans said:
But you've got your Max to keep you warm!   :D

And just how much of me do you think the Q-tip is going to keep warm? lol

Would the Wave 3 be too much heat for a minivan? Seems you can adjust them to lower BTU's than Buddies. I have a 32 x 75 bed frame. Takes up a lot of the interior. I'm concerned about how much space the Wave requires around & above it. Buddy site showed how much distance for safety. Did not see that info re the Wave.

Feedback appreciated.

Best is thermostatic control.

Webasto or Espar using vehicle's fuel.

Propex using propane.

Yes pricey.