Choosing the right model of Coleman Catalytic Heater

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Van on 66

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I am looking into buying one of the older Coleman catalytic heaters for my van to use this winter, but I don't have any experience with them.  What I know about them is that Coleman no longer makes them and according to the comments that I read online, owners of them really talk them up.  I will also say that I have done as much research as I could on the net and everything that I could find says that these heaters, though they don't have all the bells and whistles found on the newer ones are pretty solid heaters.

I used to have a Mr. Heater Buddy heater, but sold it about a year ago.  I never really cared for it anyway, but don't have the resources to get into an Olympian Wave heater or a diesel heater set up.  I also discovered that the Mr. Heaters have issues when used at elevations above 7,000 feet which would explain why the one that I owned had a problem shutting down alot when I used it in the Flagstaff area.

All that being said, what is being sold online is a bit confusing because there are so many variations of them even within specific models such as the Sportcat model.  However, I have discovered that the model numbers often mean that they BTU is different.

I have been impressed that there are models of these for sale on ebay that are even still in the original boxes and some of them have never been used.  Still, that makes me wonder about getting parts for them and also wondering if age, like in an automobile can affect things. 

I found a serious research article online that states that catalytic heaters are safer and more efficient than heaters requiring an open flame to operate them such as those using a pilot light which makes sense. 

Overall, it seems that these heaters would be a good fit for my needs, but with so many models of them it is difficult to pin down which one would be the best.  Obviously I want to get one with the most BTU's, but I also don't spend my winters now in cold climates, but rather in places like the areas in Arizona near the Colorado River.

With all that said, what do you all think and suggest?

I have this type of Coleman heater,

https://www.ebay.com/i/333783911316...&pg=2386202&algv=DefaultOrganic&brand=Coleman

I have had it since the 80's. I keep thinking it is going to stop working but it is like the energizer bunny it just keeps going and going. it's not a catalytic heater but it works well, there is no open flame. it is what I call a small heater but in a van I feel it would be plenty big, for my trailer not so much. a brand new 1 pound bottle last 5-6 hours on high. the family had one of the white gas catalytic heater when I was a kid, 60's. we were not impressed.

highdesertranger

Thanks highdesertranger.  I knew that I could count on you for some good advice.  I have seen these for sale on ebay, but never took a close look at them.

Maybe you saw my thread on the FlameKing reillable propane bottles, I posted a picture of my Coleman Catalytic heater....works fine, seems to last a long time.

Kinda hard to find now for a decent price, and as far as parts, well, you can forget about parts. If you do find one that's listed as mint or like new or whatever, and at a good price, it will sell quick. The only real downside is using the disposable propane bottles, so that is one reason I am now using the refillable FlameKing bottles. 

Not much to go wrong, and if you use normal common sense and provide ventilation, they are safe to use.

Thanks tx2sturgis.  As always, I can depend on you for good advise and I appreciate your advise on this too.  What you have said is what I have come down to in my mind about these.  It seems that the price for these is pretty consistent.  I  don't know what they sold for new, but it looks like it comes down to what they are worth to an individual.  It would also seem to me that these should last and do well also providing that they are picked up at a mint, like new, or even new condition which is the only way that I would buy one of these since they are not made anymore. 

I have not seen your post, but I will check it out right away. 

Hope all is well in your world!

BTW...I am not that familiar about searching for things on this forum so do you have a link to that post?

I just found your post on the flame king bottles.  What model of Coleman catalytic heater do you have?  I see that it has the plastic legs as opposed to the metal legs which you see a lot of.  I have heard in comments that the plastic legs tend to break easily do you think that is accurate?

I was talking about the 115 bucks they want to charge to assemble it. what's to assemble? highdesertranger

On the page I linked, I don't see anything about assembly....maybe that is showing up on your page based on your location?

For the OP: Some of the reviewers of this Martin Catalytic heater are giving it negative reviews based on the failure of the ignitor...you can ignore those and just do like all of us do with the older Colemans...just use a bic lighter or a long stem stove lighter to get it started.

highdesertranger said:
I was talking about the 115 bucks they want to charge to assemble it.  what's to assemble?  highdesertranger

I saw that assembly charge on one of the Amazon listings and all I could do was to shake my head.

yeah Texas when I click on the link it says the heater is 104.99 then it says +115.00 for expert assembly. I get that a lot with Amazon, sometimes the assembly is more than the product like in this case. I mean what is there to assembling this heater? anyhoo that is what I was referring to. I thought everybody got that option. highdesertranger

Amazon figures yoose guyes in Californy need help screwing things I guess....

lol... :p

The page it served up for me dont say nuttin 'bout assembly....

martin-heater.JPG

Attachments

• martin-heater.JPG
    martin-heater.JPG
    174 KB · Views: 8
tx2sturgis said:
Amazon figures yoose guyes in Californy need help screwing things I guess....

lol... :p

The page it served up for me dont say nuttin 'bout assembly....

LOL!!!