Hydronic Heating Design

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T.he I.nvisible M.an

Reaction score
I am seriously considering a propane fired Hydronic Heating Design that is also tied into the main cooling/heating system of my Step Van.

The Design is something like this:

The area I wish to heat is approximately 4ft x 7ft x 7ft high or 28 sq ft or 196 cubic feet.

<b>A.) ... 12v Thermostat for a single heating loop that turns a 12v circulator pump on and off (for temperature control) This would be with a direct pass through that is 12v or connected to a 12v solenoid </b>

<b>B.) ... 12v circulator pump (preferable one that also works well with solar) with a low G.P.M. Flow rate 2 to 5 g.p.m. and a low amp usage rate. Circulator pump must also be rated for Glycol (anti-freeze from main system) And should allow for run dry with no damage.</b>

This looks like an interesting Circulator pump that also does solar:

3.5 Watt El SID Pump Models
Ivan Labs El Sid SID3.5PV DC Circulating Pump  (2W2RD341500)
[img=200x169]http://solarhomestead.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/el-sid.jpg[/img]The SID3.5PV is a 3.5 watt 12 volt PV (solar module) direct pump capable of circulating up to 2.0 gallons per minute of water. It operates directly from a solar module with an input voltage up to 20 volts. The SID3.5PV starts to operate at 8 volts with as little power as 1 watt. This pump is designed to be used with a 3.5 watt module for circulating water and 5 watt module for glycol. It can be wired direct to the module in a solar hot water system eliminating the need for controls. When the sun shines the SID3.5PV turns on circulating water or glycol through a hot water collector. When the sun goes down the pump turns off. It’s that simple!
You may also use a 2W2DELTA/12 temperature controller for more accurate and efficient operation.​
The SID3.5PV is large enough to circulate a system with one 4X10 foot collector. For a system with a larger collector, multiple collectors or a volume more than 2.0 gallons per minute, a larger pump is required.
Specifications:
 Watts
 Maximum Head in Feet
 Maximum Flow in GPM
 Operating Voltage (DC)
8 to 20

<b>C.) ... 12v A.B.V.s (automatic ball valves) that can connect or isolate the main cooling/heating system from the propane heating system (propane heating system is switched off when the ignition is on and the engine is running).</b>

Something like this:

1/2" Electric Brass Motorized Ball Valve 12v DC Air Water Gas Diesel Fuel DN15
http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server5.../IMG_2254__93323.1388947378.1280.1280.JPG?c=2
IMG_2254__93323.1388947378.380.500.JPG

$28.99
Weight:
1.50 LBS
Shipping:
Calculated at checkout

Quantity

Share on facebookShare on emailShare on print
 Product Description
1/2 Inch Brass General Use Motorized Ball Valve 
This motorized ball valve is perfect for thousands of applications. Its a full port 1/2 valve rated at 145PSI for air and slightly lower rating for liquids. If you need to mover large amounts of something this is the perfect valve. It has a built in back up that closes the valve automatically when power is lost. The ball valve has a high tolerance for dirt build up and the seals are rated for a million cycles. Its lower power consumption makes it ideal for project that utilize batteries to power the valve. It has a wide range of chemical compatibility as well. The 3 wire wiring system makes for easy and problem free installation. ​

This valve is great for compressed air control and can also be used with oils, water and other liquids that flow well.​

​
Wiring Diagram
Description
SpecificationsVoltage
12volt DC Volts
Current
4 Watts
Wiring Version
CR02
Valve Type
Ball Valve
Inlet/Outlet
1/2" NPT Threads
Max Pressure
Air: 145 PSI Water: 120 PSI Other Liquids: 80 PSI
Suitable Applications
Air, Water, Oils, Vacuum
Orifice Size
1/2
Max Temp
212 F
Valve Response
 Slow
Duty Rating
100% (rated for continuous use)
Materials

Valve Body
Brass
Ball Valve
Stainless Steel
Housing
Plastic
Seal
Viton

<b>D.) ... A propane tankless water heater (most likely a camping type and again the smallest one available).</b>

Something like this:

Description

Enjoy a hot outdoor shower anywhere with a portable tankless water heater.
The Eccotemp L5 Portable Tankless Water Heater is the best selling outdoor portable tankless heater. Don't be left with a cold shower, get a never ending supply of hot water anywhere you are. The Eccotemp L5 portable tankless water heater is great for taking camping, to the beach or family vacations. Use it when going on hunting trips, weekend getaways or even at home.
Not only is the Eccotemp L5 for taking a hot shower, but can also be used for washing your car, boat or even your pets. You can even use the water heater to rinse off sand from a long day at the beach. Keep your whole family happy and clean with an endless supply of hot water. Hooks up easily to a pressure washer for better cleaning for those deep dirty stains. Turn the ignition on with 2 "D" batteries whenever electricity is not accessible. Never be left with freezing cold water again! Get a comfortable supply of hot water for all uses.
Comes with all hoses and adapters needed to get started. Included is the adapter to attach to garden hose and propane tank. (tank is not included). However, Camping World does offer a selection of propane tanks.
Simple to setup and use. The Eccotemp L5 can be ready to produce hot water in seconds. Shower head is already included. Just hook the hoses up to water and propane, set the desired temperature and water pressure and enjoy your shower!
Ideal operating range is between 20 and 80 PSI. Also works with a 12 volt pump to get the desired pressure. Dimensions are 14.5" tall, 11.5" wide, 4.5" deep and weighs roughly 12 pounds. Small enough to make it easily portable from one location to another. The unit requires a 2 inch clearance from a wall and 1 foot side to side from anything flammable. It should also be 3 foot from a window or overhang and 18 inches from the ground. This unit will offer a 30 to 35 degree rise at 1.3 gallons per minute.
Features and Specifications
  • Adjustable water temperature from 80-150 degrees F
  • 1.4 gallons of hot water per minute!
  • Includes hose and CSA regulator for attaching to standard LP tank
  • Garden hose adapter included
  • Shower head included
  • Battery ignition starts automatically
  • Outdoor use only
  • 37,500 BTU
  • 2 "D" cell battery ignition
  • Adapter attaches to any standard garden house style nozzle
  • Shower nozzle with on/off control
  • Needs 20-80 PSI of water pressure
  • Low flow rate start (0.5 GPM / 1.3LPM)
  • Up to 18 hours of use on a 20 pound tank
  • 20 minute auto safety shut off timer
This item is for outdoor recreational use only. This model is not intended for use indoors, or to be installed in any permanent installation.

[img=560x315]http://embed-a.wistia.com/deliverie...26d3838d.jpg?image_crop_resized=640x360[/img]
Read Eccotemp L5 Portable Tankless Water Heater Reviews
What's in the Box
Comes with heater body, gas regulator, shower nozzle, hardware, garden hose and lp tank adapter, instruction manual, vent shield, stainless steel shower hose, and quick connectors.
The Eccotemp L5 portable tankless water heater is ready to setup and use within minutes. Give the tankless water heater a supply of water from a garden hose, 2 "D" batteries and propane. Now you have instant and quick hot water!

More about this water heater:
Congratulations, you're preparing to connect the world's easiest way to heat water on the go. Before we start, let's take a look at what comes with the heater. Included is a CSA listed regulator for use on a standard propane tank, on/off shower head and hose, garden hose adapter, and instruction manual, heat shield, and, of course, the water heater itself. You will need to provide two D cell batteries for ignition. Connecting your Eccotemp L5 portable water heater is not difficult, and should be completed in less than 15 minutes.
Let's take a look at the installation from start to finish. Look first at the connections. We have a gas input. A compression fitting for attachment of the hose is already attached. The water input, water output. Teflon tape should always be used on water connections to ensure a tight seal. A small roll is included in the hardware package with the heater. Next you will attached the shower hose to the output connection in the middle of the bottom. We will find a convenient location to hang the water heater. Weighing only about 12 pounds, the L5 can be hung virtually anywhere.
Next we will attach the propane hose to the water heater and to the propane tank. Never over-tighten the gas connections, as this can cause damage to the water heater and leaking of gas. Always check for gas leaks before operation. Soapy water gives a good way of detecting any gas leaks. Now we will attach the garden hose adapter and the garden hose. Be sure that the adapter has the rubber washers in it to assure a water-tight fit. The on/off switch on the bottom of the heater should be turned into the on position. Turn on your shower head and, within seconds, you will have all the hot water you need.
Shower temperature is adjusted by using the water and gas regulator knobs on the front of the heater. For higher temperatures, turn the gas knob towards the larger marks and the water adjustment knob to the smaller marks. Conversely, for lower temperatures, the gas knob should be to the smaller marks, and the water knob to the larger marks. The nice thing about Eccotemp water heaters is they provide convenient and portable hot water. Warm showers at camp, cottage, washing horses, dogs, RVs, arenas. Anywhere you need hot water. Eccotemp, hot water where and when needed. Heating water for the world.
- See more at: http://www.campingworld.com/shoppin...kless-water-heater/37786#sthash.XR7QeU2s.dpuf

<b>E.) ... A Hydronic heating core (probably a marine product) with a low amp fan.</b>

A single heating core something like this:

dscf5403.JPG

<b>F.) ... An Under board radiant heating coil (probably a pex tubing system).</b>

Something like this: (except a MUCH smaller system of course ... lol).

Under Floor PEX Radiant Heat "How To Install" Examples
This time it's pex under floor radiant heat. One of the most popular retrofits and new construction pex radiant applications is placing PEX under the main living space of a home or business.
Skill Level: Moderate Tools Required: Right angle drill, hole saw, PEX un-coiler (can be homemade or use an extra set of hands) and staple gun Time: four hours plus, depending upon the size of the floor

Under floor radiant install - heat circulation paths
A pex radiant floor heating system can be the most comfortable, efficient and often may be installed for less than other heat delivery hydronic systems. Radiant floor heat stratifies the heat from the feet to the head. The feet are always warmer than the head; this is what feels naturally comfortable to our bodies. Objects that rest on the floor become charged as well, magnifying the effect. This allows us to run lower temperatures when compared to a forced air system or hydronic baseboard heaters.

Under floor radiant install - heat circulation paths

Installing PEX Tubing Under Flooring; for hung PEX Tube or heat transfer plates
You should always check with your builder or architect for a suggested drilling location, for your floor. The process begins by drilling the necessary holes, positioning the manifold in a central location and attaching the first run to the manifold. A PEX un-coiler can make this process much easier. It is critical to uncoil the PEX in a linear fashion, to prevent kinking.
pex-heating-under-floor-2.jpg

Installing PEX Tubing Under Flooring; for hung PEX Tube or heat transfer plates

4 Loops of an under floor radiant application
This floor layout shows 4 loops attached to one manifold. Here the manifold is placed in the center of the floor, making it easy to keep our loop lengths even. Typical loop lengths are set at 200’ to 300’ maximum, keeping the distance to the circulator as part of the maximum loop length. At HouseNeeds we can specify the tubing needed for a particular application.

4 Loops of an under floor radiant application

PEX Tubing Heat Transfer Plates
There are several ways to attach the PEX to the sub floor. Here are two examples of heat transfer plates. The top is an extruded plate, very thick and positively holds the PEX in a crescent shaped track. The heat transfer plate on the bottom is a stamped plate, where the plate is positioned over the PEX and stapled up. Both plates quicken the response times for the floor and distribute the heat evenly across the floor. The extruded heat transfer plates will transfer heat a little better due to the mass of the extruded plates. Also, the PEX tubing will be held in place better and thus will be quieter.
pex-heating-under-floor-4.jpg

pex-heating-under-floor-4a.jpg

PEX Tubing Heat Transfer Plates

PEX Tubing Slide Brackets
Slide brackets are ideal for retrofits where nails protrude down or there is a concern about heat transfer plate noise. Slide brackets cost less than heat transfer plates and allow higher water temps. The PEX tubing is positioned under the floor on slide brackets, 8 Inches on center with in 16 Inches on center joists. The brackets allow the PEX to be placed just below the floor, so it does not touch and then zip ties hold things firmly in place.
Other methods of attachment include PEX clips, talon clamps and ultra fin. Noise is always a consideration. Many installers either firmly mount transfer plates or use a clip with a stand off, to avoid noise.

PEX Tubing Protection Sleeve and other PEX Accessories
Protection sleeve should be used to prevent chafing of the oxygen barrier on the PEX. The sleeve is split and is positioned after the PEX is installed. Here we see the back run of the first loop and two joist bays with in one loop.

PEX Tubing Protection Sleeve and other PEX Accessories

PEX Tubing Foil Insulation and Slab Shield
The PEX is in place and insulation is stapled below the tubing. We recommend Low-e Foil Insulation

PEX Tubing Foil Insulation and Slab Shield

Radiant Floor Foil Insulation
Radiant Floor Foil Insulation is highly recommended with under floor radiant. The insulation should be placed at least 4 inches below. The goal is air stagnation, allowing heat to rise. Placing the foil faced foam closes the space and send the heat up. Note: The homeowner has kept all wiring below, preventing the heating of the wires.

Radiant Floor Foil Insulation

PEX Tubing Radiant Heating Manifolds
The PEX manifold feeding the floor is in the center span in this house. Placing the manifolds in a central location allow the loops to stay with in recommended lengths and reach all parts of the house. Typical loop lengths are set at 200’ to 250’, keeping the distance to the circulator as part of the maximum loop length.

PEX Tubing Radiant Heating Manifolds

Under floor radiant install with Heat Transfer Plates
The PEX manifold feeding the floor is in the center span in this house. Placing the manifolds in a central location allow the loops to stay with in recommended lengths and reach all parts of the house. Typical loop lengths are set at 200’ to 250’, keeping the distance to the circulator as part of the maximum loop length.

pex-heating-under-floor-10.jpg

Under floor radiant install with Heat Transfer Plates

<b>G.) ... A mixing Valve to switch to the Hydronic heating core or switch to the Under board radiant heating coil or have a mix between the two.</b>

Probably something like this:

[img=250x250]http://s3.supplyhouse.com/images/products/large/40642-3.jpg[/img] Zoom

1/2" Threaded 3-Way Full Port Brass Ball Valve w/ L-Port
SKU:40642
Brand: Webstone

Read 1 Review
Write a Review

Qty
Price
$6.95
/ each

Do not use this item for any installation or repair of potable water applications. This product does not comply with the "Safe Drinking Water Act," which requires that products meet low-lead standards in order to be used in systems providing water for human consumption (drinking or cooking). This item is for non-potable (non-human consumption) water applications only.
  • Overview
  • Reviews
  • Product Q & A
Resources
Specs
 Size:
1/2"

Connection Type:
Threaded

Material:
Brass

Handle Style:
Lever

Valve Construction:
1 piece

Features:
Standard

Description for Webstone 40642
Note: This item does not comply with the 2014 Lead Free Act. It may not be used in potable water applications as of January 4, 2014.
1/2" Threaded 3-Way Full Port Brass Ball Valve w/ L-Port

<b>H.) ... A horizontal Propane tank (maybe a way to fill this without dismounting each fill) that I could mount under the Step Van at the rear. If that doesn't work then build a propane locker on the inside of the van to marine specifications for one of my upright 100 lb tanks. </b>

<b>THESE ARE THE BENEFITS I CAN IDENTIFY SO FAR:</b>

1.) I chose this design because I will have no combustibles to deal with inside my sleeping area.
2.) Hydronic heat is fairly even and doesn't create additional water moisture to deal with.
3.) The system can run 100% on propane.
4.) The "fill" of the systems coolant/heating fluid is done through the main engine radiator so there is no need for a top off tank or external fill.
5.) The system uses the same cooling mixture as the main engine (so if your antifreeze is up to date the hydronic system will not freeze either.
6.) If the propane runs out. This design can run 100% off the engine heat.
7.) It is possible to put the small tankless water heater on the outside of the vehicle which would require no combustibles inside what so ever.
8.) If the tankless water heater is mounted on the inside (in my cargo/tool area) It is possible to vent the unit to the outside with passive induction venting or 12v power venting.
9.) If I can mount a horizontal tank under the rear of my van and provide a rock guard (collision protection) this would be ideal.
10.) If I cannot mount a horizontal tank or find it is unfeasible then I would need to build a propane tank locker. (on the inside of my Step Van (in the cargo tools area).

<b>CONS SO FAR I CAN IDENTIFY.</b>

1.) The need to drill holes to route any fluid lines.
2.) If the tankless water heater is mounted on the outside can it still be "stealth" as I am now.
3.) I really don't like the idea of have the tank on the inside or the water heater on the inside (but these may not be deal busters)
4.) The need to secure the tankless water heater (probably on the back of my van) so that it can't be stolen.
5.) If the tankless water heater is mounted on the inside then the need to again drill or cut holes for venting.

I am fairly familiar with residential and commercial heating design but truthfully I have never designed anything this small (or mobile) :)

I am currently looking at all the water heater, coil, thermostat, pex (or other tubing), A.B.V.s (automatic ball valves), propane tanks, etc for design possibilities.

I'm guessing that the pex is either 1/2" or 3/4" for my design purpose with all the fittings matching accordingly.

I have already started on a small raised floor (2x4 covered with 3/4 plywood (removable of course)). And plan to put 3-1/2" rigid foam board inbetween the floor joist with the Pex and thermal plates attached to the underside of the Plywood. I also plan for the pex to be removable with quick disconnects (not yet specified). The plywood floor, joists and rigid foam are also planned to be removable to convert the van (if necessary) back to full cargo mode.

Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance,

T.I.M.

Attachments

• dscf5403.JPG
    dscf5403.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 8
Last minute thought ...

I am thinking if I mount the water heater on the outside I can cover it with a bracket looking cover, painted black on hinges  (like this bracket) ... (TOP VIEW) ... [o| ... The bracket "[" is hinged with a lock and long enough to cover the tubing/hoses ... The "o" is the heating unit and the "|" is the van wall. This way the heat will rise up and the "cover" will hide any light or flame.

T.I.M.

I don't now. I now the ones for houses work well. if you build this be sure to do a build thread and a follow up review on how it worked out. I got suspicious of pex and hot water so I looked it up. it seems the max temp rating is 200 degrees which might be exceeded if interconnected to the vehicle's cooling system. the household systems that I have seen run off the water heater which is usually well under 120 degrees. you might want to look into that. highdesertranger

Ecotemp makes an indoor model but it requires venting. I installed thier 4.5 gpm unit in our tiny house. The exhaust vent pipe would be difficult to hide for stealthy operation but i'm sure you could find some creative way. The unit cost was $279 and stainless vent pipe was included. It has an ac control but wattage is fairly low.

gsfish said:
IM,

You could use the "Sharkbite" fittings for the PEX disconnect points.
http://www.sharkbite.com/

Guy

I have several different types of crimping tools so I don't plan on using any Sharkbite connectors. Not only are they more expensive (by a wide margin) they also leak on the hot water side of a domestic water supply.

I ONLY use Sharkbite as a temporary (hours or a day) solution when I want to stop in the middle of a job. I have had bad luck with Sharkbite as any permanent solution. I came back on one of my jobs, about a year later, where my "guys" had installed a few of them and the hot water supply connectors were leaking. After that I banned using any Sharkbites except to be removed before the end of any project.

There is a small C looking plastic tool that you can use to remove any Sharkbite connector.

Sharkbite is also good as a last resort where you are doing remodeling and the main shutoff valve or valves are leaking. If you can't get a dry pipe it is almost impossible to properly sweat a copper joint. The water turns to steam and that cools the copper too much and if you use a hotter torch and don't vent the steam it comes out while the solder is hot (leaving micro leaks in the joint).

Anyway Sharkbites IMHO are for temporary work and at best used permanently on cold water pipes.

And now you know ...

T.I.M.

highdesertranger said:
I don't now.  I now the ones for houses work well.  if you build this be sure to do a build thread and a follow up review on how it worked out.  I got suspicious of pex and hot water so I looked it up.   it seems the max temp rating is 200 degrees which might be exceeded if interconnected to the vehicle's cooling system.  the household systems that I have seen run off the water heater which is usually well under 120 degrees.  you might want to look into that.  highdesertranger

Perhaps your right ... I should probably use Automotive Radiator / Heater hose to get the job done. I wouldn't need to worry about the temperature at that point.

It's actually 210 degrees according to some pdf's I read in any case that is too close to max in an automobile.

Good heads up.

Thanks,

T.I.M.

that's interesting about the shark bites. I was told they were better if freezing temps might be encountered. o well more research. any ideas on that. highdesertranger

I had looked into a similar idea a while back, and ran into a few snags.

The Eccotemp L5 as well as the L7 and L10, have an internal timer that auto shuts off after 20 mins.
I believe it can be easily retriggered though.
The L5 is only capable of 1gpm, and is apparently only suitable for a certain rise in temp, can't remember exactly atm.
The L7 and L10 are capable of much higher temps as well as a higher flow rate.
The Shurflo pump that Eccotemp recommends is the 2 gph, which means if used with the L5, you have to slow down the water
flow on the L5 or you won't even get their maximum temperature rise.

I only throw that out for info purposes, as I'd much rather you succeed so I can maybe copy some of it!
I think the overall concept has value, but as I said, I hit a few snags for my application.
Good luck with it!

highdesertranger said:
that's interesting about the shark bites.  I was told they were better if freezing temps might be encountered.  o well more research.  any ideas on that.  highdesertranger

It's not the Sharkbite (one word brand name) it's the pex versus copper. In freezing weather, IF the pipes were to freeze, Pex holds up much better than copper does.

The permanent crimps (under a dollar and as little as a quarter each and under a dime each in bulk) for Pex are very strong and cost much less than a Sharkbite (starting around $6 to $7 dollars each and as much as $15 to $20 each for some of the bigger ones).

So really price isn't even close to comparable.

Plus Sharkbites have O rings that wear out with age and heat. The also have little teeth inside that allow some movement of pipes they are connected to (also contributing to premature wearing).

Lead Free Silver Solder and Acid Free Flux is the way to go (IF you know how)

And now you know ...

T.I.M.

no what I heard was for pex only, that the sharkbite fittings were better suited to freezing temps, that the crimps would fail sooner/more often. after all you can't solder pex. highdesertranger

Sabatical said:
Ecotemp makes an indoor model but it requires venting. I installed thier 4.5 gpm unit in our tiny house. The exhaust vent pipe would be difficult to hide for stealthy operation but i'm sure you could find some creative way. The unit cost was $279 and stainless vent pipe was included. It has an ac control but wattage is fairly low.

This what an outside install looks like

[img=754x977]http://image.sportsmansguide.com/adimgs/l/2/282086i_ts.jpg[/img]

I use to own a Marey Camo Insta Hot Tankless Propane Water Heater. It had two dials on it. One of the dials would give more flame or less flame. And the other dial would give more water flow or less water flow. The end result was a nice constant water temperature that you could take a shower under. The outcome of water flow and flame setting was based on the temperature of the incoming water.

With a water pump and a closed system I'm guessing you could get some fairly hot water instantly.

The unit would come on and light the flame instantly. When you released the shower head the flame went off as the water flow stopped.

In order to hit the 20 minute mark you would have to run the shower head constantly.

In my design proposal the thermostat would control a 12 volt A.B.V to start and stop the water flow. The water heater would come on and off with the water flow. A pump hooked up to pressure sensor with a one way check valve would come on and off depending on the water pressure between the pump and the water heater. Other A.B.V.s would isolate or connect to the Engine system based on if 12 volts where detected or not. IF then engine is running AND the water temperature is above value "X" then the A.B.V.s would reroute after the pump to bi-pass the propane heater. Strategic check valves would determine flow direction as needed.

And now you know ...

T.I.M.

highdesertranger said:
no what I heard was for pex only,  that the sharkbite fittings were better suited to freezing temps,  that the crimps would fail sooner/more often.  after all you can't solder pex.   highdesertranger

The best Pex designs use little or NO fittings on each run as each fitting causes a pressure drop. There is usually a gigantic manifold in the Garage or Basement and then each run uses the pex to bend versus a 90 degree joint and is a single piece of pipe. These designs are the very best as they don't really use all the fittings. Each fixture has it's own separate pex tube all the way to the manifold (none are shared in this type of design)

As seen below ...

The "manifold"

[img=754x977]http://pexcrimpingtools.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/pex-installation.jpg[/img]

A "wall bend bracket"

[img=754x900]https://img0.fastenal.com/productimages/4205210.jpg[/img]

Another way to make a proper "90" (the one on the right) no pressure loss
(The loops are expansion loops by the way. These loops reduce or eliminate tension on the connectors AS WELL AS help to control "water hammer effect")

[img=296x153]https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/...GwMTHJBD6xnQQ36HwP1rI6CjVF37V8o7LsGRm1Q[/img]

Proper way to tie into a fixture (no pressure loss)

[img=199x253]https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/...vXmpMllDqMYDDKajv5j29Oct_YjVzzLmQsEYAtA[/img]

So really there are just two connections on each run for each fixture (The Start) at the manifold (The end) at the fixture. And NOTHING but pex inbetween. ;)

And now you know ...

T.I.M.

I realize all that but again those are in a regular house. in a RV you are going to need fittings you have check valves, water pump, city water hook up, water heater, filter, pressure regulator, etc, etc. you are going to need to use multiple fittings. my question was what type are better if you ever encounter freezing temps? I was told that sharkbites were better in that application. I also know that the fewer the fittings the better and that you don't need to use 90's to make corners. all I was asking is what type of fitting if the system were to freeze? I also plan to not let the system freeze when it's full of water but sometimes stuff happens. highdesertranger

I have an EccoTemp L5. We used it in the food cart. They are not made to be sitting outside in freezing temps. When I first started looking at hte Ecco Temp, I was trying to get David to agree that having an unlimited supply of hot water for uber long showers would be great. I wanted the Eccotemp L12. After using the L5 for a month or so, David said no way would we put it in the bus for our domestic water. It was too tempermental and he had to fiddle with it too much.

I've been considering something like this as well.

This house I live in had baseboard hydronic heat when I purchased it.  I later converted it to forced air with an outdoor furnace/AC unit.   I still have some of the baseboard equipment left in storage.  The Boiler was old and very inefficient.

I was simply going to run heater hose on back to the left side as a supply and return to the finned tubing.  The design I was thinking of would use 3 ball valve shut offs to open or by-pass the hydronic zone in the living area of the Van. 

Some time back I had seen a 12 vdc inline pulse pump that fit into the heater hose.  I've been searching for it recently but as yet haven't found one. (if they are still even in production)  Everything I find now is a rotary pump.  But that pulse pump was designed to circulate hot coolant from the engine.

I know the motor block will hold heat for some time when above freezing temps.  I had figured on using a remote starter control to start the engine when it was cooling down and allowing it to idle for awhile and reheat itself.  I don't know if those have an automatically timed shut off feature or not. Perhaps a thermostat with high and low cut outs   inside to control the pump.

I can tell you the baseboard hydronic heat is lovely heat.  Nice and even.  But for Air Conditioning it would have meant using window AC units which I didn't want (issues with the type of windows this house has).

This is the stuff I have around.   I got used to servicing my fuel oil boiler and keeping everything running
properly.

baseboard-fintube.jpg

I figured on using 3 ft of this one on top of the other and connecting it with heater hose.

But again, I don't expect to be living in it in sub zero weather.

For me, living in a van has meant being a devoted follower of the K.I.S.S principle.

This violates it in so many way I can't even begin! But, I wish you the best of luck.
Bob

akrvbob said:
For me, living in a van has meant being a devoted follower of the K.I.S.S principle.

This violates it in so many way I can't even begin! But, I wish you the best of luck.
Bob

Some people just really need to tinker with things.  I suppose it does keep them from hanging out on street corners, which is something my mother always warned me against . . .

Regards
John

akrvbob said:

Bob

The hydronic heat is one of the things I do for a living so for me seems fairly simple just new to putting 4 wheels under it all (in my case 6 wheels lol).

T.I.M.

I am going to run some heat loss calculations on different designs though to see what might be the most efficient. :)

(b.t.w. nothing wrong with the idea to keep it simple)

T.he I.nvisible M.an said:
The hydronic heat is one of the things I do for a living so for me seems fairly simple just new to putting 4 wheels under it all (in my case 6 wheels lol).

T.I.M.

I am going to run some heat loss calculations on different designs though to see what might be the most efficient. :)

Seems to me that the biggest problem with under-floor heating in a vehicle is the massive heat sink just under that. I would think it would take quite a lot of insulation to keep from loosing most of your heat out the bottom through the steel floor of the van. That would then steal precious headroom. In a house you have a wooden sub-floor under your heating tubes, then you've got 6"-8" of insulation under that, then the space under that is enclosed.

In addition, houses don't vibrate and bounce around all the time. This drastically increases the chance for a leak.

Finally, where are you gonna find room for that manifold wall. You gotta be able to get to each and every connection.

T.he I.nvisible M.an said:

T.I.M.

Very interesting project TIM.  I would think that the floor/lower structure/frame could also be looked at as thermal mass storage--especially if a little insulation could be added underneath (?).  Please keep us posted on how this works out.