Aquatic centers for showers

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WalkaboutTed

Reaction score
I start to feel really groady when I've hit a week without a shower. This summer, we've found aquatic centers (or community centers with pools) our go-to for showers.  The most i've paid is $4. The last I paid was $2.  Many small towns have them. That or hot springs (which aren't nearly as ubiquitous-or cheap).

I haven't seen aquatic centers mentioned recently on the boards for showers, so I thought I would bring the subject up again. I just Google "Aquatic center " or "community center" as I go through towns when I was in need of a shower.  Bring your own towel, shampoo  and grooming supplies.   Most have soap dispensers,  but not all, so bring your own soap. And skip any modesty.

Ted

Pools are a great choice. And when it’s hot out you can float around for a few hours to get refreshed before your full shower.

^
Maybe it would be best after a whole week of abstaining, to shower first, float around for a few hours to get refreshed, and then shower off again to remove any pool chemicals.

^
Note I said “full shower”, you always shower before getting in, but afterward you could take a nice long hot shower, shave,  pamper.

I've used the one in Redmond OR — though their schedule is tricky.

Also recreation centers, like the ones in Lincoln City OR, Truckee CA and Cottonwood AZ.

This sounds useful, but with a lot of overlap with gym memberships. Depends on the gym, I guess.

MrNoodly said:
I've used the one in Redmond OR — though their schedule is tricky.

Also recreation centers, like the ones in Lincoln City OR, Truckee CA and Cottonwood AZ.

I used the one in Cottonwood a little over a year ago. It was nice, tho $5. They did not yet have their charging station upgraded to USB-C ports, but maybe they do by now. (I needed it because my car charger had just died, and I was on the road grrrr.)

I've been living rurally about 35 outside Las Vegas NEW MEXICO. The rec center in LV is about a mile off the interstate, and showers are $1 for seniors. The womens' side is very nice and hardly used, my sig. other tells me the men's side isn't as clean, but YMMV. Hours are great: 5am to 8pm.

Nearby, Storrie Lake State Park is a $5 day pass (6am to 9pm) and the bathroom/showers are open from April-May to November.

I have certainly mentioned them before in this forum and it was withing the last few weeks. But not with the exact wording of aquatic center. Many cities have them and they are also called (municipal) swimming pools and can be found at some of the city recreation centers.

In the city of Seattle all of the municipal recreation center showers are free of cost to the public. That is one of the ways the city is trying to help the homeless population so that they can have good hygiene. Part of the cities goal for doing this is also helps them out if they are employed or want to be employed which of course helps them with an income to get into regular housing.

DesertRose so nice to see you posting again. I was wondering where you went off to. good to hear from you. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
DesertRose so nice to see you posting again.  I was wondering where you went off to.  good to hear from you.  highdesertranger
Hi HDR! Sent you a PM and will post an update soon about my experiences living in NE New Mexico at the foot of the Sangre de Cristos - well, some of them!

Palm Springs has a nice Aquatic center for showers - $4 

Pools is Huge  - Outdoor only - no shade around pool - ouch -
Showers are clean and ok - bring soap -

Parking lot is Super Nice  - 
each parking space has its own palm tree - 
Shady & Clean -

Parking lot pavement is Super Smooth - best I have ever seen -
Great place to go fast on a bicycle  -

I had a good time -

keep in mind this place is in the Spendy part of a $pendy town -

830rQGKh.jpg
[/img]

Public facilities with showers go by various names: aquatic centers, rec centers, community centers. A good way to find them is to search for "pool nearby" in Google Maps. The description of each pool usually lets you know if it is a public facility or a private club/gym.