Your thoughts on combining kitchen sink and shower?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inti

Reaction score
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]Let’s face it, most van dwellers just try to mimic usual home with the same kitchen and often the same shower – or don’t have shower at all because it is difficult to find room or build and maintain. Also, very often kitchen sinks are simply too small even to wash hair without water all over countertop and floor.[/font]
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif] [/font]
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]My idea is to buy an inset shower tray like this one [/font]

[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]
ZxPV_hp1dSjxISpwxlowb-GW0xan1rvXkW8nQkFi-DKBZptPsnZiarguUgUCnb6cgHLxFJiapGjoBKKrbmb2CWtF8eZor1sTjMUYp4CC5qsnmhfVlTSUG2ERoNvqShMQM3b_IzxAjMv-xAyNZ-x2FdLBNuOknfVDpFtt831JqGftF_QOufqxrR-SIvnSF1k1XqzlxmsZs3ETalFjzLpc1rT6T7pF84CGS0YkZ2QmazhqDs6kSmk7pzN-hzMAzgY6Rc8alZfUDog7e-BMfX-sMIajDue9pdc8doeHaMLCWWf3XFvPogBbKLpoaNb_b0nYY0k7FUL8yjCpEyngzI4KvBMk9yVO281uks_I64NEwQPIdbNfeM3FZpQdnP3NEVE7TM4M7wEhbW3tNWS-s4s5obssqNu1lgWxaQDIDmW41IZRTb37RZGcU07syPMvdZmelyE80rF3T-6mSZjXNWzZEnXKOimCIL0vOKbEPvNg-ma6Ime-HULEu3q8HyeDFuSx3lg5gONVD7AYDNAhwXyQxepQJbOzIoTHUtbsgSwtNdUvGzRLKAMSgtEuR2fePqt83pFjaftzFOyRv4rQFMSbiOyf2tsvU7PiXMLNmkbDNn5-9O0VNrEbnIZuLyFKDNcXBvIULrpR8WPhNNnMm-3olfH9Nq8Xc94UJslwZBn49RRSjUdt=w720-h480-no
[/font]
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]https://www.dealsdirect.co.nz/product/laundry-kitchen-sink-commercial-stainless-steel/[/font]
[font=Arial, sans-serif]20cm H x 44cm x 64cm[/font]
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]and use it as a kitchen sink/laundry sink/shower tray all in one. Of course, as a shower it should be surrounded inside by magnetic shower curtain. I guess it is possible to expand human living area by stretching shower curtain with help of large enough hula hoop made from small diameter PVC tube, or maybe hang this curtain wider on top.[/font]
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]I guess children and smaller people can simply climb into this sink and wash themselves in sitting position. For taller people it could be possible to have relatively simple support system to allow lowering (and maybe placing shower tray a bit closer to van middle under van’s fan). Of course, all plumbing should be flexible and long enough to use the same hoses as kitchen sink and shower head. Also, shower tray can’t be too low, then it will be possible to use the same grey water tank for all needs, so additional 4 legs will be necessary (see brown/red sticks below).[/font]

[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]Example:[/font]

[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]
kb8yFZLuR2gEC0fkeE_CmE4n3N5arjXVRfRZceIABBPKJrQnEJbAcFZKoOnZyVdu5O_DZPzYNigXYb9X9AqZGX5CmTbfXkxn4Jtje-nqfY4ZfDWivLuBRSCecZ3jOzWo8cghajOm3R1ItVbbRPdrmvnTKoQ4iJgzU0l_9TDaknD-hzRUmo7qnyCyJmtz1g5NmazI-7Zbbza4M7HXhKSPzynu0lbSkyIfVQLsBfmFz2VDOsMky7KpRgXV-W7CTlqdXGUoYq8cnQHuKoKWhSKVCBJ8fm6GFEOhAAA7LC9SJs9wB9vB_A_ee2H3z2oX2phnjMWIZ4Z5Qjtl-97nNehkDwgyQdR0q8e7d_7ps-CwaBgjj0psTWzlKyGBpSWWkzMTXt39FbSMkjh17AjCUl42hqwgvsFCK5OacwcIwPsoGL3nPcyd_6cAVPSHmKlTyyNn_H3TytnYarIoA4gtxJrSmAidHotOFYlzovAqtcdHjr0vVmze6MNCwbsaVebYBrgtogm7UbqBM1enQASWLg7Z_YqD_ww-7x27r5zSi216OEWrcsh7GlDI3UAhnXNjXSTwDPhRVt5ut8w2CRd5ow4Sg_T_qHSrOOHUoGjkmE1lugW23rHufyxrxGF3BwKE0_Fudb-An16AuXdj687xtwfFPULZH2HQjSAeZSmx8PMXVIKzjoF2=w1024-h871-no
[/font]

[font=Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Helvetica, sans-serif]4 (only 3 are visible) brown/red short legs can be folded or maybe permanently attached, however in any case used only in shower position. Imagine that grey water tank is under the window/sink in kitchen position and permanently connected to sink/tray with long enough flexible hoses.[/font]
[/font]
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Helvetica, sans-serif] [/font][/font]
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Helvetica, sans-serif]Of course, methods of lowering can be very different, including completely manual without any joints at all, just take it and put on the floor if you are strong enough.[/font][/font]
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Helvetica, sans-serif]It is necessary to avoid framing of the sink front, the front edge should be this sink itself. Skip cabinet doors and use short curtains to hide area with plumbing or keep cabinet doors open while taking shower.[/font][/font]
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Helvetica, sans-serif]So far, I see the following downsides: [/font][/font]
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Helvetica, sans-serif]1) for some people it is repulsive to wash dishes where they wash their feet or private parts. My plan is to ignore such people or give them advice to clean their shower tray like kitchen sink when it is in kitchen position :) Also, there are plastic grates that can help to avoid contact with stainless steel if no amount of cleaning can convince germophobic person.[/font][/font]
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Helvetica, sans-serif]2) it’s a bit dangerous to be raised above the floor while taking shower. My plan is to hang hula hoop inside, so any fall will be at least slower. Of course, it is possible to add some metal handrails inside or outside but I’m afraid that that will ruin simplicity and portability. Perhaps 4 ropes stretched outside can help? Or bondage harness can be attached to the ceiling to serve good people once in a while? OK, I count on community input regarding this aspect :)[/font][/font]

[font=Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Helvetica, sans-serif]3) kitchen sink is too large. OK, just cover it with couple of water-resistant plates, one can be removed to open enough sink area for washing dishes and the rest can be used as regular countertop.[/font][/font]
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Helvetica, sans-serif]I hope that people will come up with ideas and proposals on how to combine sink and shower. Van space is too valuable to ignore such idea. I saw that some people simply use inflatable/folding wading pool but that involves a lot of efforts to prepare and then get rid of grey water and clean this inflatable/folding thing. Stainless steel sink/tray seems to be much easier to use and clean. Shower curtains are cheap enough to replace them often, or maybe it’s possible to wash them from time to time in laundromat.[/font][/font]
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Helvetica, sans-serif]Any thoughts?[/font][/font]

Need to log in to google to view some images.

I guess it depends on individuals on how important a shower is in a van conversion.
I would rather shower outside using a solar hanging bag than combine a sink with a shower.
OR
I would try everything to incorporate a wet room toilet/shower compartment into a van and just use a removable basin for a sink.

For  me a place to clean up is required. I intend to do something similar. Of course in my head it looks great... but we will see when fantasy runs up against reality.

I am looking at putting a cubicle  a bit behind drivers seat  maybe about 30x30 that will house a c-head basic compost toilet which will be sat into a wash basin of sorts. either an old fashioned metal tub or a rubber one which is commonly used on farms. I will continue counter top but not as wide along the entire drivers side. The counter top nearest my cubicle will have a sink. I plan to use the sink sprayer to also serve as my shower head.

The cubicle bathroom will have a hinged top so when not being used it will lower and be additional counter space.
Of course I will be paying a lil extra for the waterproofing set up for the c head... and will need to sort out a way to remove the "grey" water out of the wash basin.. and of course the warming and pumping of the water. Hula hoop on roof for a shower curtain?... not sure about the little stuff

For me being able to clean up properly is an absolute.

Of course I have had several reality checks so far... but this is non negotiable. Come hell or high water..

wayne49 said:
Need to log in to google to view some images.

Thank you for reporting that. Hopefully these images are visible here:

sBc4muZ_32OSFWtLIVAwY-S0NXth0HdsK02VXlLgOST6sAm-qJ0l-Uy2eCLRQeRXpMtAsEnZnuMor-W2pc7yfMHSwOBVwRTeVbTHlr2dsG6kAtsg-LU2eHS2TRUKtc-oF9L_yaSc=w720-h480-no

L4qotSgBm9y4Pl0T_tj1hFDpwXr6z0DIYuPZgLk3Q6Euzbfwj0jfnLfj-vX5bMNbwY1KcqkC1w9rXyz313386MH3cWy0_8xVkdeZsOKbZIQTlTOvCF4OZXZbhO3_y9gTORs1f5Us=w1024-h871-no

rokguy said:
I guess it depends on individuals on how important a shower is in a van conversion.
I would rather shower outside using a solar hanging bag than combine a sink with a shower.
OR
I would try everything to incorporate a wet room toilet/shower compartment into a van and just use a removable basin for a sink.

I am from Canada and our climate is not always good for solar bags. I was thinking about [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]toilet/shower compartment too, this is the first thing that comes to mind, but again, all these toilets are just imitation of what we have in homes. In fact, this simple gadget with plastic bag replaces all these cassettes etc. very well - https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000P9D07G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - it is not ideal for big heavy people but for me it's OK - and it is foldable. 

[/font]

LoupGarou said:
I removed the sink and replaced it with an enamel wash basin. For baths I place the wash basin on a single burner butane stove to heat the water and add some Walgreens Rinse Free Body Wash.

The waste water is poured into the cassette toilet or used to put out the campfire before I move on.

https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/w...MI87_RwNmw5QIVlyCtBh0xdQyLEAQYASABEgKsF_D_BwE

Did you think about shower with 12v pump? I guess it could be possible to heat water in regular pot and then pump warm/hot water:
https://www.amazon.ca/Camping-Powered-Adapter-Watering-Cleaning/dp/B07K1YLZBJ/

LoupGarou said:
^^^ Not at all. The enamel wash basin works too well.

Can you provide a link to your wash basin? Who knows, maybe I will borrow your method.

I do not have a kitchen sink, as I clean dishes in another way so it is not needed. I use two wash basins for basin bath, one for hair, one for body, and no permanent mounting of anything. Have you tried using this sink setup for showering? It looks too small, in my opinion. A shower tent is at least 3X3 in floor space. ~crofter

BuckleBrown said:
For  me a place to clean up is required. I intend to do something similar. Of course in my head it looks great... but we will see when fantasy runs up against reality.

I am looking at putting a cubicle  a bit behind drivers seat  maybe about 30x30 that will house a c-head basic compost toilet which will be sat into a wash basin of sorts. either an old fashioned metal tub or a rubber one which is commonly used on farms. I will continue counter top but not as wide along the entire drivers side. The counter top nearest my cubicle will have a sink. I plan to use the sink sprayer to also serve as my shower head.

The cubicle bathroom will have a hinged top so when not being used it will lower and be additional counter space.
Of course I will be paying a lil extra for the waterproofing set up for the c head... and will need to sort out a way to remove the "grey" water out of the wash basin.. and of course the warming and pumping of the water. Hula hoop on roof for a shower curtain?... not sure about the little stuff

For me being able to clean up properly is an absolute.

Of course I have had several reality checks so far... but this is non negotiable. Come hell or high water..
 So your combo idea has made me realize that my bathroom "cubicle"  can also have my sink on the counter top when lowered over. I can just use a removeable bowl that is placed into the top.

So a 3x3ish cubicle.. rubber wash pan/basin/shower pan thingy... large enough to hold the c head toilet properly. spray hose... when the the counter top is lifted I can bathe do bidness.... when counter top is lowered it can conceal  the toilet and would have the kitchen sink up top.  Again it would have to be some kind of removable sink bowl. Removed during shower/toilet time... it can be a sink that is level with the counter or it can be a simple bowl on top....  a removable sink bowl would be great to use outside as well...

I would use a pump of sorts to remove the water ..or a drain into the  bottom of the van...maybe both?

All I can do is watch YouTubes. So take these ideas at your own risk.
First, Four Wheel Camper have been doing this since 1972. I doubt I will want this, but I thought it was a cool idea: Jump to 1:25 to skip the outdoor shower operation. They tuck a floor drain under a table, with a shower grate. A shower curtain attaches to the roof then wraps around and is held to the drain by the grate. Seems very simple, except it needs a hole in the floor.

Next I watched a young kid do a fun video as he screwed up making a hot water shower rig that I may do, but not until I get dirty in the field (might be a year or two)
H2OT - Roof top, pressurized, solar heated shower/sprayer using ABS pipe

The fun of building your own is you can pick and choose and combine ideas. And best of all if it breaks I can fix it. That last is huge with me. One day, my time will come.

Moderator edit: Video is a Seinfeld episode in which Kramer prepares a salad while taking a shower
Please include a short description when posting links. Thanks.

[quote pid='472639' dateline='1571768766']

[font=Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Helvetica, sans-serif]Any thoughts?[/font][/font]
[/quote]
I suggest that you do it. I haven't figured out a way to make mine permanent but I have a 24x36 inch tub and a hot water heater. I have no clue how I'm going to make use of it at this time but I assure you, I'm not going anywhere without a way to "shower" inside my van. Even if it follows me around during the day calling me an idiot. Even if it haunts me at night. Even if it comes to me in my dreams and tries to kill me.

When I'm on BLM land I'll most likely set up a shower tent outside.

Just sayin'

swlands said:
They tuck a floor drain under a table, with a shower grate. A shower curtain attaches to the roof then wraps around and is held to the drain by the grate. Seems very simple, except it needs a hole in the floor.

I like the idea of using grate to hold curtain, magnets are not that strong and less reliable. Or perhaps PVC-tube perimeter could be better in my case. 
Also I like his custom-made curtain with bungee cords, it makes sense to sew such thing from washable fabric... although I would try cheap dollar store curtain first as making and then washing [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]custom-made curtain is no fun for me.

Similar idea is here: 

To say frankly I don't want to make any holes in my (future) van, I would prefer to have relatively small grey water tank under my sink that I can carry or drain when sliding door is open. 
I also like like my idea of oversized kitchen sink because I need to wash my hair twice more often than I need a shower. Plus my wife is always splashing water all around sink... large tray could help in my case.[/font]

How about a shower tray, 8-10" tall or so, that lives beneath a shelf under the sink cabinet and slides in and out when needed. Then you don't have a Kramer sink, and the shower takes up no extra room in the van. Rig up some sort of drain. Temporarily attach a shower curtain to the roof.

Then it's better to have shower tray under the bed. Otherwise sink cabinet will be unnecessary wide. But in such case there will be more trouble with grey water. My scheme implies just one sink/tray hose (vacuum cleaner type) permanently attached to tray/sink. Put it down on short legs and it becomes small shower or put it up and it becomes large kitchen sink. Imagine how many dirty dishes it will be possible to accumulate  ;)