Your thoughts on combining kitchen sink and shower?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a roadtrek with the 3" dropped floor. There is a track on the ceiling around the ceiling vent that a shower curtain is pulled around on. Doors can be opened to create a small bathroom if privacy from others inside is required. I just pull the blackout divider curtain across the front and have a large bathroom. Those doors also make the front and rear sleeping quarters separate with the bath in the middle.

B and C said:
I have a roadtrek with the 3" dropped floor.  There is a track on the ceiling around the ceiling vent that a shower curtain is pulled around on.  Doors can be opened to create a small bathroom if privacy from others inside is required.  I just pull the blackout divider curtain across the front and have a large bathroom.  Those doors also make the front and rear sleeping quarters separate with the bath in the middle.

Yeah, I see it  here:

[video=youtube]

Cool van design, but what about engine/powertrain, is it realistic to drive problem-free any 20 y.o. vehicle?

20 year old van problem free? You must be joking. My van weighs 9700 Lbs going down the road. A lot of work for the engine and transmission. Sometimes it costs to have what you want. A lot cheaper to keep running than a new one by far.

Inti said:
Cool van design, but what about engine/powertrain, is it realistic to drive problem-free any 20 y.o. vehicle?

Mines 28 years old !! built it that way so I can just lift box body off for a new cab chassis truck in the future ( I keep telling myself)  but why ? its easy to fix, myself, no rust and have had very few problems.

B and C said:
I have a roadtrek with the 3" dropped floor.  There is a track on the ceiling around the ceiling vent that a shower curtain is pulled around on.  Doors can be opened to create a small bathroom if privacy from others inside is required.  I just pull the blackout divider curtain across the front and have a large bathroom.  Those doors also make the front and rear sleeping quarters separate with the bath in the middle.

Still have a 1999 US RV buyers guide, they were never available here but I always thought it was a good layout.

Until recently, we carried a plastic masonry tub for a shower pan/shallow tub and used a 12 volt shower pump with a bucket of warmed water.  It was fairly easy to empty into our cat litter jug gray water container.  The tub has been retired since changing our layout and realizing we rarely use the tub anymore.  Also, two of those shower head/pumps have given out on us.  Heat is not kind to cheap plastic housings, and I don't like to replace things.  Instead, we wash up between showers in campgrounds.

A litter jug is still used with my make-shift sink and sometimes outside to contain wash water.  I like the size, handle and lid, and a canning funnel fits beautifully in the neck, which is sometimes helpful.  Rules or no rules, we never discharge gray water.

Speaking of funnels, I recall Two Knives Katie using a canine post-surgical "cone of shame" in a bucket to control splash wihen washing hair inside.  Clever.

Inti said:
Thank you for search keyword "[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]masonry tub[/font]"
I think this is the one I have:  https://www.homedepot.com/p/Plasgad-Blac.../205451585

Two medium-sized gray plastic tote boxes from Walmart fit in this, and I carried it on top of a plywood platform, so it took no extra space.  Shoes often ended up stashed in the shallow end that extended beyond the totes.  It is light enough to pour water from, yet very durable.  When I tried it on for size in the store, a by-passer said it looked like a bath tub.  LOL!

I have used one of those and the only problem I had was I stepped on the edge of the drip pan and cracked the rolled edge and part of the side.
I didn't use as much water as I thought I would so I bought a water heater drip pan made for a corner and ran a drain hose through the floor to drip into a jug. I found it helped on shower days to make sure I was level or a little down hill towards the drain. The lip is about 1" or so tall.

bullfrog said:
I didn't use as much water as I thought I would so I bought a water heater drip pan made for a corner...
I like the idea of the corner pan for inside use if you have no need for a tub!  Any water getting past the curtain bottom with the shallow lip?

I just put a flexed piece of PVC pipe attached to either wall with a tee for support to the floor in the middle while showering about a foot off the floor and about 2 or 3 inches inside and above the lip of the pan to hold the bottom of the curtain and used a larger piece at the top to hold the curtain supported by some eye hooks and small bungee cords from the ceiling to sort of form a funnel shape. My pan was plastic and different brands have different lip heights so shop around.

silly people those aren't masonry tubs. those are for panning gold in the desert when you have a limited water supply. highdesertranger

looking at the first posting in this thread I noted that the OP wants to have a stainless steel shower pan and use it with a magnetic shower curtain. There is an issue with that because most types of stainless steel are not magnetic types of steel and having tested my stainless steel kitchen sink I know that magnets do not stick to it. So a magnetic shower curtain will not provide the same function it does on an enamel coated steel bathtub. You could use a weighted shower curtain or one with suction cups at the bottom.

My fabric shower curtain has a rope like weight sewn into the hem at the bottom to keep it down. It is not heavy enough to keep it from sucking up against me while the hot shower flows. My Fantastic vent is over my shower and I run it to blow air into the van while showering and that keeps the shower curtain off me. Not fun to do if it's cold out so I normally wait for the "heat" of the day to take a shower.

I saw this on a newsletter I get. Brings up different possibilities for making a shower and deflating to store.

d4822886079e887560de6896630d18c3.jpg