Showering at Campgrounds

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Rose! Thanks. How are ya?

I realize that most of the nomads on here don't normally stay at campgrounds, but I'm hoping a few of you might have some know-how on my question, which is...

Due to medical issues I have, my balance is very poor. I also cannot stand (comfortably & painlessly) for more than a few minutes at a stretch. So, showering in a wet, slippery campground facility isn't the safest idea for me. Plus, most of those facilities are nasty anyway, and I'd prefer an alternative.

As I'll mainly be staying at campground tent sites, my idea is to set up a 6'X6' pop-up tent where I can take quick Navy showers inside using a 5 gallon bucket and Ivation pump, while SAFELY seated on my medical walker or small shower chair. However...

From what I understand, many campgrounds don't allow any kind of grey water to be dropped on the ground. They want it to be contained of and emptied in a dump station or similar venue. But I've also heard of other places where it's okay, provided one use eco-friendly soaps, shampoos, etc. Finally, I know some places couldn't give a hoot at all, and are only concerned about black water.

What's the reality in the majority of private campgrounds - especially at tent sites where I'll be staying? If a facility says no grey water on the ground, is it more of a wink & nod type of thing, or seriously enforced? I'm not sure how anyone would even know how I'm showering if I'm in an enclosed tent using minimal water.

My backup solution would be creating some type of portable shower pan (like a large, shallow 3'X3' plastic storage bin) to put a small chair inside of while showering, but I'd rather not have to lug around something like this if at all possible.
I have a solar shower that I use when I'm out in the boonies by my self. Winter time I use a truck stop I ask a truck driver if he has an extra shower on his card that I can use and alot of them will do that. If not then most truck stop s change 12$.

National Parks, National Forest campgrounds frown on dumping grey water in campgrounds. They look the other way for small amounts, but if your shower is more than a gallon you will probably run into trouble.
Besides, you are leaving soggy ground for the next camper.

I use a sun shower and 2-3 liters of water for my shower. Use swimming trunks, no enclosure and only medicated shampoo for my hair. If I'm grungy I pay for a shower.

I normally carry a metal and a plastic 5 gallon bucket with me. Plastic one is for pooping in, and the metal one is for heating water over a fire. That is also why I carry a Coleman Powerpack stove. It is sturdy enough to hold 5 gallons of water, and will warm a bucket of water in about 15 minutes, also used for cooking when no fires are allowed. Use it frugally and there is plenty of water for a good shower. I also have a privacy shelter tent I use. I will at some point paint stripes on the inside of the shelter, as I am visually oriented in my balance and the solid color in 360 is disorienting for me, so I think stripes might help. Either that, or just move a chair in

I use about a cup of water, a washcloth, and about a half-cap full of Clean Life No-Rinse Body Wash from Amazon.

I only pay for a shower when I need to wash my hair. And since I went no-shampoo quite a while ago, that is surprisingly seldom. But YMMV for sure.
I do a similar thing when not staying at campgrounds.
Got some 'dude wipes' at some truckstop and they work pretty well. Also have some antiseptic wipes that aren't too harsh.

Showering at campgrounds or basically anywhere when you live in a van is probably one of the part parts of living on the road. I used to pour gallons of water on myself, but a few months ago i found the rinsekit and its been such a life saver. I can fill it basically anywhere and use it for my dishes or washing my hands and by the time im ready to shower, i still have a ton of water left. i seriously recommend it!

Um, my experience this winter is showers are a bit overrated. Haha. You can sponge bath with minimal water. I wouldn’t hesitate doing a shower tent in a lot of situations. But you have to use your head. Number one... are you far enough away from a water source... lakes, rivers and streams. Type of campgrounds... are they secluded sites, crammed in sites, obvious policies. And soil types and conditions.
I sorta agree on avoiding showers in many public places in these times. But you have to consider the question... with the potential number of people that could be here and if everyone did what I’m thinking of doing, what would it be like. What would be the impact. How would my actions effect the environment and other people’s experience. Sometimes the impact of you alone does little, but if you are one of many your combined impact is substantial. As nomad numbers rise. We as individuals effect greatly how the whole community is perceived.

For my shower, I have a collapsible plastic dog bathtub I place in the middle of my van's floor near the side door. I boil a pan of water on the stove and pour it into a bucket of cold water, making the temperature just right. Then I stick my 12v water pump into the bucket with its hose connected to an RV shower head and wash clean again. Of course, some water splashes out due to no wall or curtain, but those small splashes are easy to wipe up with a towel after showering. To me, my method seems far preferable to a walk-in shower due to the large amount of space it continues to consume all the time while you are busy doing other things. By contrast, my shower then folds up and tucks out of sight. Think what else you can do with all that space without a shower stall! As for me, I use that space for a portable clothes washer/spinner, meaning I don't need to visit a laundry either! My high ceiling has 60 permanent hooks mounted into it for drying all clothes with a cross-breeze from my 12v fan. So I stay a truly "happy camper."

What you describe as a navy shower apparently needs way, way more water than I use for a navy bath.
Could you explain what a navy bath is. I have never heard of it. And, neither has the internet that my computer is hooked to. :)

Here is an interesting video of a gentleman that travels with his sheep and uses a metal pesticide sprayer (never used for pesticides) that he heats up on a stove. A very sustainable way of local travel.
The shower starts at 7:14 and don't worry, its family friendly.

Get your body wet then turn off the water/sprayer/hose. Wash your body with soap and shampoo your hair, then turn the water back on to rinse.
For me, it wasn't a Navy shower, it was a Submarine shower exactly as Carla618 describes. Currently, my boondocking arrangement is two - 1 liter smart water bottles with a pair of socks, one inside the other, slid over top of the bottle full of water. Those lay in the windshield all day long and by 4:00 p.m. they are at 110° F. I have an extra bottle cap with two small holes drilled in the top that I put on the heated water bottles. This becomes my solar heated shower.

I would call that a homemade SimpleShower, and you saved yourself $10-$15.

You can have a very decent wash with 2 liters of sun-warmed water, and 1 liter bottles are easier to hold and use than a 2 liter, for me.

I like to use an XLarge wipe to soap myself, so that I can then just throw it away as opposed to rinsing soap out of a washcloth.

It’s a bit wasteful, but not much in the great scheme of things, I figure. ☺️