Showering at Campgrounds

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very interesting. I was planning on getting an RV specific hand held shower head, but I just assumed it would operate the same as the household ones I have used. I've been angsting about this for months. The shower curtain design/choice is the only part of my build I haven't settled on. I will take this into consideration.
That was a very nice video !( Tommy) I just watched it. I hope things are working out just as you planned and you got that nomad spirit of ingenuity- which we all need for adventure and survival.
As for me ,I'm still in a sticks and bricks because no one are buying houses at this time.
Plus I'm working out the kinks in my 92 camper van before taking her out.
Hope to meet you out there one day.

I'm still sticking with my propane instant water heater - you just need 3 pounds of water pressure (easily achieved with a rechargeable pump) to run a nice hot shower with less than 2 gallons of water (less than half of a 5 gallon bucket).

The big one on my deck is fantastic for washing off after a sweaty gardening session...

Cheers!

I once went 45 days without a real shower early in 1996 in the Posavina Corridor Bosnia until the Navy Sea Bee's (they're a combat construction battalion - CB and BLESS THEM) finally arrived and built us a BEAUT of a hot shower at Camp Kime. I was part of the USAF Tac Air element attached to the Army's 2 Brigade, 1st AD and being part of the command group, we waited till everyone else in the camp had a shower till we got in there with 10 mike to spare (they closed it at 10 pm). Finest thing I ever experienced. So many people want to know what happiness is, happiness is a hot water shower and plenty of soap... The last one I had prior was an ice cold one on New Year's Eve in Zupanja Sector East Croatia the night before we crossed the assault bridge across the Sava into Bosnia. No matter what though, I kept decent and shaved even if it meant heating a bit of water over our kerosene burner in our frigid tent during a Balkan Siberian High (you have to experience it to believe it...).

Cheers!
One of the regrets of transitioning from the "steel pot" helmet to kevlar was losing the ability to take a bath out of my helmet.

Just traveled from AZ to WA and back to ME over a month's time. Used truck stop showers the entire time. $15 for two every three or four days wasn't too objectionable.

Yeah, we lost a "carry it with you" bath when we transitioned to the K-Pot. I'm pretty sure they're better protection but I missed the old steel dome for a long time (just like my M151 Jeep - NEVER got to like that Dang Hummer...

Cheers!

I know I'm not really answering your question, and this may have already been said a gazillon times already. If so, sorry. But back when I USED to be a boondocker (~3 years ago).. I used to go to truck stops for showers. In my experience, they keep them clean and most if not all are handicap-friendly. Back then, they were about ~$12 ... don't know if this helps. I hope so.

I know I'm not really answering your question, and this may have already been said a gazillon times already. If so, sorry. But back when I USED to be a boondocker (~3 years ago).. I used to go to truck stops for showers. In my experience, they keep them clean and most if not all are handicap-friendly. Back then, they were about ~$12 ... don't know if this helps. I hope so.
They are still clean and nice. But this is 2020,,,,,,Pilot/Flying J, Love's and TA are $15. I use a private RV park in Cedar City that has a very clean bath house with a half dozen showers for $10. I've heard of parks not in town that are around $5.

...But back when I USED to be a boondocker (~3 years ago).. I used to go to truck stops for showers. In my experience, they keep them clean and most if not all are handicap-friendly. Back then, they were about ~$12 ... don't know if this helps. I hope so.
I used to be too, but too many people nowadays; everyone wants to be a nomad. Bob, I love you, but you've ruined a good thing. Only partly joking, of course. Years ago, I could disappear on public lands not seeing another homo sapien the whole time; it was peaceful. Suddenly, they were everywhere, each with their ideas and dreams of what nomadic life would be. Many left their trash and remains scattered about, littering the landscape and blowing in the wind. In 2019, Quartzite (I didn't go btw) was packed like sardines as far as the eye could see; it reminded me of what it might look like on a Carribian cruse. I'm afraid the present economy with fuel costs through the roof will make things worse. I'm upgrading my rig and stocking stuff now, just in case.

As to your post, I agree that truck stops are best. You might have to wait your turn, but there is usually plenty to do. You can do a movie, eat something, shop, and do whatever else is available, and they'll call out your name/ticket number when your shower is ready; rarely, one isn't freshly cleaned.

IMO, there are many "wrong" things happening in the world that actually hurt other people. I think I will reserve my criticism for those and not a bunch of folks just trying to stay clean on a budget.

I don't want to turn a thread about staying clean into something political, but what is more wrong is that there are so many people having to look for such alternatives. It isn't so they can add more $$$ to their investment portfolios. It is because every day that passes there are more poor people that can't afford basic necessities.

Political is political... common sense is common sense. Abnorm has a good point.

IMO, there are many "wrong" things happening in the world that actually hurt other people. I think I will reserve my criticism for those and not a bunch of folks just trying to stay clean on a budget.

I don't want to turn a thread about staying clean into something political, but what is more wrong is that there are so many people having to look for such alternatives. It isn't so they can add more $$$ to their investment portfolios. It is because every day that passes there are more poor people that can't afford basic necessities.

Nothing political... common sense.

As a solo female nomad on the East coast, I pay $23 a month for a Planet Fitness membership. Shower, exercise, massage and a safe place to stay the night if it's a 24/7 PF. It's my solution for the environment I'm navigating.

As a solo female nomad on the East coast, I pay $23 a month for a Planet Fitness membership. Shower, exercise, massage and a safe place to stay the night if it's a 24/7 PF. It's my solution for the environment I'm navigating.
I tried the PF Black membership. I was not near enough to a PF in my travels to warrant the cost. I guess the regions of the country one travels could make a huge difference in its value.

We are finalizing our plans for our trip in a couple of weeks. We are staying 2 nights in Fish Creek, and (hopefully) 4 nights in Many Glacier. While it says showers, it doesn't address if outdoor showers are permitted. Fish Creek does have showers included with your fee, though there is only one shower facility for the entire campground. Most nights we didn't have to wait but one night there was a long wait and the water was cold. Many Glacier also has pay showers available. Moreover, I would like to try and build a charcoal filter before my next camping trip. On the last trip, we ended up cooking breakfast and dinner for 10+ people for 4 days. A lot of dirty dishwater walked around the area to get dumped on the grass. I think a 5-gallon bucket with rock, sand, and charcoal would have saved a lot of hassle. Wouldn't work for an outdoor shower... What I don't know is how often you need to clean out the rocks and sand. But I like the concept. Now, if I ever get to build my campers with an indoor shower, I might end up with this and not mess with a gray water tank.

The big qualifier for outdoor showers and otherwise dumping grey water of whatever origin onto the ground is whether that is permitted where you are camping.

In bear country where grey water of any kind is not allowed on the ground, I have seen lots of signs clearly prohibiting this and Rangers patrolling aggressively to enforce.

Get in touch with whoever is in charge of the campgrounds you are staying at, and find out what their rules are.

They will have them, I expect.

I once went 45 days without a real shower early in 1996 in the Posavina Corridor Bosnia until the Navy Sea Bee's (they're a combat construction battalion - CB and BLESS THEM) finally arrived and built us a BEAUT of a hot shower at Camp Kime. I was part of the USAF Tac Air element attached to the Army's 2 Brigade, 1st AD and being part of the command group, we waited till everyone else in the camp had a shower till we got in there with 10 mike to spare (they closed it at 10 pm). Finest thing I ever experienced. So many people want to know what happiness is, happiness is a hot water shower and plenty of soap... The last one I had prior was an ice cold one on New Year's Eve in Zupanja Sector East Croatia the night before we crossed the assault bridge across the Sava into Bosnia. No matter what though, I kept decent and shaved even if it meant heating a bit of water over our kerosene burner in our frigid tent during a Balkan Siberian High (you have to experience it to believe it...).

Cheers!
I like it , Nice experience