Amateur radio

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scott, as we narrow down your intended use, I'm gonna go out on a limb and make some recommendations for you, or anyone who is looking to do something similar. Please understand that this is good, solid, middle-of-road, proven equipment.

It is NOT the best, nor the cheapest. Just average and very usable. And other hams might chime in with their favorites too.

For your first radio that does all of what you want, this is what I would buy:

(I have owned or used all of this stuff!)

Yaesu FT-857D  (about $850)

Programming cable (about $25) (free 'Chirp' software on the net)

LDG Z-100 plus autotuner ($150)

Selection of HF Hamstick (type) antennas for mobile use (around $150 for 5 HF bands)

Optional: toss in a couple of Hustler Super Resonators and a mast for 80 and 40. ($100)

Bumper mount, spring, and cable for the Hamsticks: (around $100)

(You could substitute a motorized (screwdriver) mobile HF antenna, but the cost and complexity goes WAY up!)

Optional: An endfed MyAntenna (80-10) HF antenna for use when camped (around $150)

A dual-band Comet SBB5, cable and mount, for VHF-UHF (around $100)

Assorted cables, meters and supplies ($200)

This would be a nice mobile/portable station for starting out on ALL the bands.

It won't do everything, but it will probably do about 90% of what most of us do with ham radio.

The 857 will monitor almost everything from DC to daylight:

Ham, (TX and RX), CB, aircraft, public service, domestic and foreign shortwave broadcasts from around the world, ships at sea, transcontinental aircraft, some military traffic, local AM and FM stations, emergency services like ambulances and firetrucks, taxicabs, police, and even the wireless intercom at the local McDonalds drive up window!

It won't listen to digital or encrypted services, trunking systems, or digital cellular.

It can monitor and transmit on digital ham radio modes if you add a few more bits of hardware.

But for around $1700 to $1800 this would make a nice 'do-it-all' station for a new ham, and install easily in a truck or van. Other hams, please critique and provide feedback!

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/3046

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/13035

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/19

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/8234

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/3143

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/413

I'm not sure why I have 2 duplicate posts.  Can some moderator delete one of them?  

Sorry.  Thanks.. the 2 posts before the one from tx2sturgis..

highdesertranger said:
so for years I have used CB radios but I want to upgrade.  I don't know where to start.  everyone has all kinds of different opinions on this. I am looking for a mobile mounted amateur radio for someone who is in the boonies a lot,  me.  some say dual band 2m and 430mhz.  some say 2m.  some say 430mhz(70cm).  so what is the opinion here?  dual band,  2m, or 70cm.  I would appreciate the pluses and minus for each platform.  I have wanted a ham for years but something always comes up.  I figure it's time.  highdesertranger

I am new here and simply barging into your thread in hopes you may benefit.

2mtr ham band is perhaps the best intro slot because new gear is cheap and a no-code tech license is ez to get.
It will allow you to meet others and begin learning.

70cm is more limited, though good in it'sown respect.

When you eventually get into the Ham Radio part of the bands, 6, 10, 15, and 20 meters are all advisable because they have different capabilities, depending upon you location.

Real ham probably starts at 40, 80 is a new world, and 160mtrs has a devoted following of fellows you will find no other place.

If you have any sort of musical ability and are not tone deaf I would strongly advise you progress beyond the basic entry stage and learn Morse Code. That, and a little knowledge of wire antennas will allow you to QSO around the globe when conditions are right.
I have no clue what the solar cycle is doing these days but it is worth inquiring about.

wanna buy a Kenwood TS-180 ?  lol
wheels

Musical ability? I have none, and passed the Extra code exam at 20 wpm on my first try. At one time my code speed was 25 wpm, but there were lots of hams much faster.

Nowadays, learn the code after you get your license for only one reason: it's LOTS of fun!

Refreshing my amateur radio memory and taking the last two tests is on my very long to do list...sigh...

And if you have plenty of usable bandwidth, here is a bit of video to watch regarding the efforts of Hams in Puerto Rico, deployed to help pass 'health and welfare' traffic back to loved ones in the USA, starting here at the 4 minute mark to skip the intro:

That segment runs up to about 19:55 in the video.

From later in that video, just for fun, a 7 year old reports on the Great American Solar Eclipse:

To my ears, this young fella sounds just like Linus from the old Peanuts cartoons...and that segment lasts until about the 1:09 mark.

Important stuff along with fun stuff....

Enjoy!

Excellent presentation by Gordon West, as we all would expect from him !
wheels

Ooops....numbers again!

That 1:09 mark should have been typed this way:  1 hour and 09 minutes.

Sorry for the confusion...

tx2sturgis said:
From later in that video, just for fun, a 7 year old reports on the Great American Solar Eclipse:

To my ears, this young fella sounds just like Linus from the old Peanuts cartoons...and that segment lasts until about the 1:09 mark.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the pointer.  This is the kind of thing I need to get me rolling back onto this train.  I really do want to learn this stuff.  

Pat

I run a dual band (that is crossband repeat capable) in my truck, along with an HT, and plan to get another dual band and a uBitx for my trailer.

And I run a dedicated, separate mobile APRS rig in my truck, bluetoothed to a tablet/phone running APRSDroid.

I highly recommend hamstudy.org as resource for license study.

highdesertranger said:
so for years I have used CB radios but I want to upgrade.  I don't know where to start.  everyone has all kinds of different opinions on this. I am looking for a mobile mounted amateur radio for someone who is in the boonies a lot,  me.  some say dual band 2m and 430mhz.  some say 2m.  some say 430mhz(70cm).  so what is the opinion here?  dual band,  2m, or 70cm.  I would appreciate the pluses and minus for each platform.  I have wanted a ham for years but something always comes up.  I figure it's time.  highdesertran
I would go with a 2 meter radio at the least. a 70cm radio has a optimum distance of about 35 miles, and there are less repeaters for that band. a 2 meter radio has a optimum distance of 50 to 60 miles. those figures are less in the boonies, and more on the plains. there are those that i am being Conservative in the figures. yes i have talked 250 miles with a 2m radio but that was ducting conditions. on average in the boonies where you usually go, you can figure 25 miles depending on your elevation.
A better solution would the HF bands I normally can operate  wherever i need to, to establish communication. a little more expensive, but a whole lot more practical for a boondocker.
Dave
AA0AE
alumaturtle

I ended up getting a Kenwood TM-V71A. it's a dual band 2m and 70cm. still no license so everything is on hold. highdesertranger

ah come on, I have a lot of fires burning at the moment. I will get it done. someday. LOL. highdesertranger

Wait, I hear a call on the radio....whazzat?

Say again?

Oh ok....yeah I'll give HDR the message:

round-tuit.png

Attachments

• round-tuit.png
    round-tuit.png
    127.1 KB
highdesertranger said:
ah come on, I have a lot of fires burning at the moment. I will get it done. someday. LOL. highdesertranger

You might get more privileges soon as a TECHNICIAN. Once you get your license. The FCC and ARRL are working on more digital communication privileges in a change.

As far as license most ham clubs have a class where you can attend for a few nights and read one book. Most get their license first test try. - N1KTJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk