Amateur radio

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Goshawk said:
As far as license most ham clubs have a class where you can attend for a few nights and read one book. Most get their license first test try.  - N1KTJ

And while you're at it you can take the next level test in the same session for free. Study for both the Technician and General license. When you pass the Technician license (they score it on the spot) you are eligible to take the next level test, General, for free. With the General license you have HF (high frequency) privilege which opens a whole new world of communication beyond  FM (2m, 440, 70cm). With a HF radio you can actually reach someone if your miles from anywhere whereas with an FM radio you may not reach anyone.

I studied for the General by using the online test sites available for free. One way of guaranteeing you pass is to study the correct answers only. When you take the test the correct answer will jump out at you since you didn't read all the wrong ones too! The tests are multiple choice questions.

tx2sturgis said:
Wait, I hear a call on the radio....whazzat?

Say again?

Oh ok....yeah I'll give HDR the message:

That drone you were using had an antenna and transmitter at the RTR I thought that was very cool.

Haven't been on in years, but just submitted my renewal application so as to keep the license active. I've a couple of radios that I really should take into a shop and get the memory batteries replaced - I'm guessing they've made a mess inside by now.

One of those radios is Kenwood TS-50 that I've been looking forward to getting into operation, but, perhaps like HDR, I've not yet gotten a round tuit.

Peterson

Thought the FRS was now higher than 1/2 watt ?? -but I read so much stuff things get muddled.

Do you have a link to the GMRS application? Tried to find it a few weeks ago and went around in circles on the site.

Thx they don’t let us out of “the home” too often

Firtree said:
Thought the FRS was now higher than 1/2 watt ?? -but I read so much stuff things get muddled.

Do you have a link to the GMRS application? Tried to find it a few weeks ago and went around in circles on the site.

Thx they don’t let us out of “the home” too often

Firtree, Yes in 2017 Some of the FRS frequencies/channels were combined with GMRS Frequencies. There for if an operator is using FRS the Some of the FRS frequencies are maximum power is 1/2 Watt and the Combined GMRS frequencies for FRS are 2 watts. 
For example

[font=Arial, Tahoma, Verdana]01 462.5625  FRS 2 Watts  -  GMRS 5 Watts
02 462.5875  FRS 2 Watts  -  GMRS 5 Watts
03 462.6125  [size=small][font=Arial, Tahoma, Verdana]FRS 2 Watts  -  GMRS 5 Watts[/font]

04 462.6375  [font=Arial, Tahoma, Verdana]FRS 2 Watts  -  GMRS 5 Watts[/font]
05 462.6625  [font=Arial, Tahoma, Verdana]FRS 2 Watts  -  GMRS 5 Watts[/font]
06 462.6875  [font=Arial, Tahoma, Verdana]FRS 2 Watts  -  GMRS 5 Watts[/font]
07 462.7125  [font=Arial, Tahoma, Verdana]FRS 2 Watts  -  GMRS 5 Watts[/font]
[/font][/size]
[font=Arial, Tahoma, Verdana]08 467.5625  FRS no change, 0.5 Watts - same, low power in any radio
09 467.5875  FRS no change, 0.5 Watts - same, low power in any radio
10 467.6125  FRS no change, 0.5 Watts - same, low power in any radio
11 467.6375  FRS no change, 0.5 Watts - same, low power in any radio
12 467.6625  FRS no change, 0.5 Watts - same, low power in any radio
13 467.6875  FRS no change, 0.5 Watts - same, low power in any radio
14 467.7125  FRS no change, 0.5 Watts - same, low power in any radio
15 462.5500  FRS 2 Watts -  GMRS 5 Watts
16 462.5750  [size=small][font=Arial, Tahoma, Verdana]FRS 2 Watts -  GMRS 5 Watts[/font]

17 462.6000  [font=Arial, Tahoma, Verdana]FRS 2 Watts -  GMRS 5 Watts[/font]
18 462.6250  [font=Arial, Tahoma, Verdana]FRS 2 Watts -  GMRS 5 Watts[/font]
19 462.6500  [font=Arial, Tahoma, Verdana]FRS 2 Watts -  GMRS 5 Watts[/font]
20 462.6750  [font=Arial, Tahoma, Verdana]FRS 2 Watts -  GMRS 5 Watts[/font]
21 462.7000  [font=Arial, Tahoma, Verdana]FRS 2 Watts -  GMRS 5 Watts[/font]
22 462.7250  [font=Arial, Tahoma, Verdana]FRS 2 Watts -  GMRS 5 Watts

[/font]
[/font][/size]
I have updated my previous post. I was not aware of this change until I looked myself.

While boondocking with friends in the Carson National Forest in Northern New Mexico, I set up my portable station and worked a few contacts during ARRL Field Day:

I can program the FRS and GMRS frequencies into my 2 meter/ 70cm radio, but using that radio would be illegal unless there was an emergency.
I think the FCC should update their policy on type certificates for radios. Also the GMRS requires a separate license. It is a mail in application so not hard to get, but there is a $70 fee.
So you buy a bubble pack radio at a sporting goods store and you get to use it right? Wrong. Only on about half of the frequencies. https://www.gmrs1900.net/blog/93-tutorials/122-getting-your-gmrs-license

DannyB1954 said:
So you buy a bubble pack radio at a sporting goods store and you get to use it right? Wrong. 

FCC enforcement of this law is essentially ZERO.

Same thing happened back when CB operation required a license. Non-compliance was the norm, mostly.

DannyB1954 said:
I can program the FRS and GMRS frequencies into my 2 meter/ 70cm radio, but using that radio would be illegal unless there was an emergency. 

I've done this on several of my radios, to include MURS and itinerant channels.

If I happen to hear someone who is lost, calling for help, something of that nature, I will respond with my high-powered mobile or base and try to help.

Take that to the bank.

(In fact, as I type this at Storrie Lake, NM, I am scanning all hailing frequencies and have already heard some van-dwellers on one of the channels, coordinating their activities.)

tx2sturgis said:
FCC enforcement of this law is essentially ZERO.

Same thing happened back when CB operation required a license. Non-compliance was the norm, mostly.

If you have no license, there is nothing to revoke. But if you have a general license, they could pull that license if they really wanted to.
Running a CB with a linear amp is not enforced either, but I would not want to be the one in a million that gets busted for it.
When you are unlicensed it is easy to play dumb when caught.

DannyB1954 said:
If you have no license, there is nothing to revoke. But if you have a general license, they could pull that license if they really wanted to.

If I can relay a call from a victim of a bear attack, or trapped in a ravine, or someone lost and near death in a cold snowy mountain forest in the dead of winter, and then I lose my Ham license because of that, then something is disturbingly wrong.

However, it will have been worth it. A life for a piece of paper and 32 years of operating privileges. A very fair trade in my book.

tx2sturgis said:
I've done this on several of my radios, to include MURS and itinerant channels.

If I happen to hear someone who is lost, calling for help, something of that nature, I will respond with my high-powered mobile or base and try to help.

Take that to the bank.
FCC rules say in an EMERGENCY any frequency at any power can be used. No license is required. Now if you are calling your buddy and ask hey we stopping for lunch somewhere, now you would be using a radio outside of it's type certificate and if using more than 2 watts without a gmrs license, adding another violation to that.
I went to the FCC site just now to get the GMRS license and then wondered who I would be talking to. If I had two radios and gave one to a traveling companion they would not be covered under my license as the GMRS license only covers family members. So we are back to CB and FRS for those that don't have a license.

Please understand that I do know the applicable rules, and am not telling anyone else what to do. 

Exactly the same idea as when I tell someone that I have ridden motorcycles faster than 100 MPH on the street. 

We all break the speed limit now and then, don't we?

I am just letting others know that with radios there are rules attached. Even the ones you buy at WallyWorld.
I highly doubt that there are FCC officials at camp sites looking for 5 watt transmissions, but I am not going to say go ahead, everybody does.

I am going into the attic and see if I can find an old CB to put in my van. The FRS only radios are only listed as having a 2 mile range, (so probably closer to one mile). I can get a hand held CB to let someone else use.

I have an old CB that I've had for years, and a Grundig shortwave. Might have to haul em out when I hit the road.