Amateur radio

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pnolans said:
I bought this last week.  Seems like a decent enough radio.

Any ham radio operator can key it up and talk to the local repeater to test for you. If you have no license you can only use it for emergency of property and life. Have no idea what exactly constitutes property or life emergency if you are broken down 10 miles from civilization and no passing vehicle is expected for hours. You can always listen to it all you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just passed my Technician test... but my intention was to just listen when I got it.

pnolans said:
I just passed my Technician test... but my intention was to just listen when I got it.

Congratulations!  Some people never need or want more. A few people I know have the highest licence, but they never use anything except 2 meter and 70cm. 

I hope to talk to you some day,
K7EED

DannyB1954 said:
Congratulations!  Some people never need or want more. A few people I know have the highest licence, but they never use anything except 2 meter and 70cm. 

I hope to talk to you some day,
K7EED

Thanks... I was going to try to change my call sign, but my choices don't meet the criteria. 

So, I'm KE0KIV .   I think I'll stick with that. 

So, I hope we talk some day as well!

I changed my call sign to a vanity because I thought if I was going to get into CW, (Morse Code). I wanted to have the shortest call sign possible. The call sign I was originally given was quite long when put in to code.

Congrats on your licensing!

I'm currently trying to decide upon a mobile HF antenna.  I have to hitch receiver mount it because the only warranty approved antenna sites on the new van will be one of two spots in the middle of the roof!  hahaha  not accessible for switching out whips for sure.

Any ideas welcomed.   Easy is best for me.  I've peeked at the Eagle One, and the MFJ 1699

Oh sure, I'm familiar with screwdriver antennas.  I'm not keen on the great possibility of the motor going out etc.

I'm probably going to go with the Big Stick after all.  I have a great tuner...but ?

I don't like losing 75 mtrs but really..mobile? hahaha   I cannot be throwing a wire for a dipole...but who knows, maybe I'll toss a few hundred feet of copper wire and a balun into my van (gasp...if there's room!) just in case?

I found the license plate mount and might go with that, or my own version. But then I also have a camera tripod that I might consider, that way I'll have it away from the van a bit.  Not planning on HF mobile op, just portable.

I just don't know how much time I will actually have until I get out on the road and away from the house responsibilities.  THEN I will have plenty of time but not the accessible gadgets and tools I would have if I do it before selling the house, you know?  I know you know.

DrJean: I do quite a bit of operating on both 75m and 40m from my Motorhome when on the road. Remember, any mobile antenna is a compromise when compared to even a simple 1/2 wave dipole cut for a specific band. That said, that compromise will not prevent you from enjoying ham radio while you are traveling.

I have tried lots of different antennas for mobile use during my 30 year involvement in this great hobby of Amateur Radio. For the past five years or so I have been using the monoband "hamstick" antennas. Why? For the following reasons: they do an acceptable job performance-wise; they are inexpensive and available both thru dealers and at swaps; they are easy to install and do not require an excessively heavy mounting system (as do screwdriver antennas); they are light and easy to store.

Costing $20-$25 each, you can buy one for each band you plan to operate. As I do not operate while moving, when I stop it takes me less than five minutes to mount my antenna and I am on the air!

Just my opinion, but hope this helps.

I've been trying to order the MFJ big stick online but their site just sits and "spins" the order.  They know they have an issue because it says don't double click or you might order twice.  I'd be happy with that at this point!

The big stick is only $99 and the 25' of rg 8x with connectors is only another $22 so it's good.  One of my rigs has an autotuner.   

I've seen some hitch receiver mounts now that I thought of doing that... but I'm curious about how far away from the van the license plate mount is... I want to be able to at least open a door and since it sets off to one side with that, I could open the other door :)...

Have to check the BEMM to see if I can drill at the license plate area...if so I can make my own mount attachment there.  Just another thing to put on my list before I go off grid!  arrrrggghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope to be the person in the field giving all the hams who want what used to be called "Worked All Counties" what they need.

doc

Completely agree with soeedhighway46. Ham stick for 20 meters and 30 meters and 40 meters should be enough. After considering the alternatives try to not get caught up in the multiband solutions. The modalities to try are APRS FSK and WSPR and normal voice SSB. Of course try to get functional with Morse CW too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hahaha  ok   funny... but not laughing at you... you don't know me yet ;;) oh wait... you talking to me?

CW  21 wpm (rusty right now only at 16wpm)  Got a few contest certificates under my belt too ;;) LOVE IT.

Well  I do want to go single whip because I'm disabled just enough to not want to be changing whips all the time... though I am somewhat organized IRL and I will have to put the whole thing up when parked to operate.... not sure once on the road that I could functionally do that.  It's just another decision or visual and mental choice to make in heat of the moment?  Gotta keep things simple in the planning.  

I can go with a different antenna if the MFJ one doesn't work out. If the site lets me order. hurumph!

DrJean: These helical wound mono-band verticles are available from lots of places if you can't order from the MFJ site. Try the Ham Station or Ham Radio Outlet. Google their websites.

so it would be better to run 2 different antennas for a 144/430 MHz dual band? could both antennas be mounted and an antenna switch be used to switch between the antennas? I would have to climb up on my roof to change antennas, looking for another option. highdesertranger

HDR:

If your rig is a dual bander, with two antenna connectors (one for 144 and another for 440) then you have two options for antennas. You can mount two separate antennas on your vehicle with separate feed lines from your radio to each antenna. Or, you can use a single dual-band antenna fed with a single feedline from your rig. With this setup an additional piece of equipment is required, called a duplexor. This device is connected at the dual antenna outputs of your rig into a single output for the feedline running to the dual band antenna. There is a very minimal signal loss when using a duplexor, but not enough to consider in most normal mobile applications.

I hope this answers your question.

Well with all this chatter  hehehe  I'm thinking my hands might not manage the tap changing alligator clipping that big stick requires. I'd pretty much be stuck each day on one band.   I do have an excellent rig that auto tunes, but guess I have to spend the money on a better antenna? 

Thanks

doc

highdesertranger said:
so it would be better to run 2 different antennas for a 144/430 MHz dual band?  could both antennas be mounted and an antenna switch be used to switch between the antennas?  I would have to climb up on my roof to change antennas,  looking for another option.  highdesertranger

There is a very small loss of efficiency using a dual band antenna. You will not get a perfect SWR reading on both bands, (even with a single band antenna the SWR's will not be perfect throughout the whole band. People tune the antenna for their favorite frequencies usually).  If your radio has a single output, the duplexer is already built into the radio. If your radio has 2 outputs, a separate antenna and cable may be cheaper than a duplexer. For the 144/430 bands it is not really an issue which way you go.  Most of the time you will be talking through a local repeater. If your signal is strong enough to trip the repeater, the power output of the repeater along with it's antenna will get the signal out. 

So a lot of worry about nothing. Here is a link to a ham radio review sight. People who have had the piece of equipment give their opinions of it. Keep in mind the people making the reviews are also amateurs. One person may say something is junk, the next might think it wonderful. http://www.eham.net/reviews/

K7EED 73 to Ya.