a guy offered me a free van any input would be good.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you considered registering it in Fl?  You seem to want to leave Texas.  Just wondering.

NOptimistic Paranoid said:
Would you send the title to someone you don't know, who then, for some reason, never comes for the vehicle?  Leaving you with a vehicle on your property that you can't even give away to someone else just to get rid of it?

I know for damn sure that I wouldn't.  Even the junkyards here won't take a vehicle if you can't sign the legal title over to them.

No problem, if he doesn t show to pick it up just file for a lost title if you are the legit owner..... easy peasy....... 
it may take a few bucks and a few weeks but you aren't stuck with a vehicle without a title. 

Dave

You can get insurance and get a temporary tag in Florida. That would make u legal. You would have a few days until the temp tag expires.

No worries. I live in central Florida. Send me a message if you run into any huge troubles.

Good luck brother.

Sent from my BLU LIFE ONE X using Tapatalk

djkeev said:
No problem, if he doesn t show to pick it up just file for a lost title if you are the legit owner..... easy peasy....... 
it may take a few bucks and a few weeks but you aren't stuck with a vehicle without a title. 

Dave

that only works if the title stays in your name.  if the new guy transfers it, you are no longer the legit owner.

closeanuf said:
Have you considered registering it in Fl?  You seem to want to leave Texas.  Just wondering.

If I leave TX it will be somewhere up north. where it is cooler and ice cold in the winter. I hate the heat.

just a FYI. I recently registered my Chevy in Arizona, it was previously registered in California. they gave me a new license plate, a new title, new registration, and a new tag at the DMV. they told me I had 30 days to get insurance blew my mind. they also told me if I didn't have insurance in 30 days that my registration would be cancelled. so I didn't need insurance at the time of registration. I know this does you no good in Texas or Florida but I thought I would put it out there. highdesertranger

If you try to plate in FL and have never had a plate there, a hefty fee is assessed for the plate. And you have to have FL insurance.

mayble said:
that only works if the title stays in your name.  if the new guy transfers it, you are no longer the legit owner.

If the guy never comes, even if he transfers paperwork in another State. 
You misplaced your title, somehow some guy got it and transfered into his name, you still have the Van...... you'll get a duplicate title. 

Dave

djkeev said:
If the guy never comes, even if he transfers paperwork in another State. 
You misplaced your title, somehow some guy got it and transfered into his name, you still have the Van...... you'll get a duplicate title. 

Dave

I think that might depend on location, in Illinois trying to get a replacement title is so bloody hard to do it's ridiculous.  Many people with legitimate claims are unsuccessful.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Would you send the title to someone you don't know, who then, for some reason, never comes for the vehicle?  Leaving you with a vehicle on your property that you can't even give away to someone else just to get rid of it?

I know for damn sure that I wouldn't.  Even the junkyards here won't take a vehicle if you can't sign the legal title over to them.

My solution about a lost title has already been posted; so nothing else to add ...

So whats the update? Just waiting for next month to afford the fees?

Basically yeah, I will call him next month see if he still has the van get a 200 dollar bus ticket, get insurance on it for 50 a month, get temp tags in florida drive back here wait for the title and stuff in my name. if the van would even make it here. i have $400 right now next month ill have 500 to go with it. so 900 - 200 700 - 50 insurance 650 and about 100 to 200 in fuel, that leaves about 500 left. Then I will wait til the next month save what I have left and see about living in it then. Or just staying in it till I get the title and city dwell till the next following month.

Why the wait?

If someone offers you something for FREE........ GO GET THE DARN THING NOW!!!!!

Things change, strike while the iron is hot.

Dave

I won't have the money for anything. insurance, temp tags, fuel, food. nothing. I can't afford it right now. the bus ticket would leave me with 200 left. that is not nearly enough for anything. He said he would wait till next month he understands my situation.

Shouldn't a one way plane ticket be less than 200.

Sent from my BLU LIFE ONE X using Tapatalk

Because of my body weight/size I need 2 plane tickets. theoretically yes, if I was smaller than I am.

I never said I didn't want it. I cant afford to get it till next month.

highdesertranger said:
California does do smog tests if your vehicle is 1976 or newer and you live in a county with a population of 50k or more.
For the first 6 years in CA you don't have to get a smog ck. i.e, first 6 years of the model of the car from being new,  but there is an abatement fee instead.  There are exceptions, so I will just post a DMV link.   I hope that made sense.  https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/vr/smogfaq#BM2535