a guy offered me a free van any input would be good.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The city I am in is pretty cheap. I was just going to do it here.

To register it in Texas you will need a title signed off by him and a bill of sale.  When you get to Texas you will have to get a state inspection and what is commonly called a green slip because it's from out of state.  The "green slip" takes the place of having a cop inspect it like we did in the old days.  Inspection will cost you $7 and the green slip is $1 extra.  If I were you I would get a Texas Application for Title form and have the guy giving it to you sign it too.  Better to have too many pieces of paper than not enough.  Since you are not a relative of his you will have to pay sales tax at 6.25%.  To find out how much the tax will be go to your county website and go to the tax assessor collector page and look for "perceived value"  put in the VIN and mileage and the taxable value will appear.  It's kind of a PIA so you might just call them with The VIN and mileage.  Doesn't sound fair but that's the way it is.

FWIW, there are states which do not require vehicle inspections. They are:

Alaska
Arkansas
Iowa
Kentucky
Michigan
Minnesota
Mississippi
Montana
North Dakota
South Carolina
South Dakota

That might be worth considering when you consider your eventual destination. I can say though that although Michigan doesn't require vehicle inspections, our insurance rates are higher than the national average.

No title, and willing to give away what he was hoping to get $1000 for? Sounds like it could be a pile of crap he just wants off his property.

Help me understand this.....

There is a guy in Florida who is going to give you an older minivan.....

He has a title for it or not?

Your problem is where/how to put the title in your name?

If the person giving you the Van does NOT have the title, don't waste your tine going to get it. It is worthless, even many scrap yards won't take it for there is no paper trail to it.

Dave

^^^ You beat me to it.  ^^^

No title, dont waste your time.  That is a good way to end up stranded or in jail.

Talk to him on the phone and get a sense if you can if he is legit. This could be a blessing.

slynne said:
FWIW, there are states which do not require vehicle inspections. They are:

Alaska
   Arkansas
   Iowa
   Kentucky
   Michigan
   Minnesota
   Mississippi
   Montana
   North Dakota
   South Carolina
   South Dakota

That might be worth considering when you consider your eventual destination. I can say though that although Michigan doesn't require vehicle inspections, our insurance rates are higher than the national average.

California doesn't do inspections, but there is a smog check every two years if your vehicle isn't new or some other rare exceptions.

California does do smog tests if your vehicle is 1976 or newer and you live in a county with a population of 50k or more.
Arizona also has smog inspections but only in the greater Phoenix/Tucson metro area.
Oregon also has smog inspections but only in the larger cities.
none of these states have safety inspections. so in rural counties you don't have inspections. what I am trying to say is do your research.
highdesertranger

why don't you have him send you the title, can't you get it registered/transfered? get temp tags? i know people who have bought vehicles in pieces get the title transferred why can't you do something like that?

Would you send the title to someone you don't know, who then, for some reason, never comes for the vehicle?  Leaving you with a vehicle on your property that you can't even give away to someone else just to get rid of it?

I know for damn sure that I wouldn't.  Even the junkyards here won't take a vehicle if you can't sign the legal title over to them.

OP, your right, i stand corrected, i guess the thought that he is giving it away. i stand corrected.

Two options to look into....wwoofing and se7en
Www.wwoof.org
Www.the7interchange.com

Basically they provide accomodations and meals in exchange for a few hours of volunteer work each week.  It would give u a place to stay and food to eat, plus some great experiences and an economical way to see the states/world