A gun thread

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have two rifles, a shotgun and a full size .45 acp pistol that I have almost everywhere I go.

How many years before personal defense drones exist? What came first? The terminator or the egg? Will there exist black market attack drone technology available at a low cost to the average ruffian? Technology evolves. Computers don't require hundreds of Sq ft anymore.

What I carry is between me and the ones who need to find out. But I mainly carry for range and accuracy for the purposes of hunting and short swift carries for defense.

I have a few things I like to carry. A 1911 is ever present around here and within immediate reach ......cocked and locked !

Beretta silver snipe 20Ga o/u light beautiful and handy, Winchester 22 long octagon nice wood straight shooter older than my dead dad.

5' Tanzanian spear "for bandits and hyenas," and a mil surplus machete.

It's been said often..... "Never bring a knife to a gun fight". Recent news stories of guys with a katana (Japanese sword), a machete and other bladed weapons going whacko, and getting shot by the popo. Besides, the van invader would bleed all over the inside of your vehicle...... yuck. :)

If I have to, I will nail them.  Otherwise I am a lover, not a fighter.  Just ask all my ex wives~~~  :blush:

Attachments

• nailed.jpg
    nailed.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 5
Ruger Blackhawk .44 mag 10 1/2" barrel for backcountry bear protection(where it is legal) and killing shark before bringing it on board the boat. Otherwise it is a Dan Wesson .357. Winchester 12ga with a slug barrel for deer hunting in nj and a ruger .22 auto rifle just because...

Ruger LCP 380 here mostly for critters

I've switched from carrying the little 25acp to carrying the USP45 since a few months back when I got a good holster(The sigtac/IMI RHS is a great deal if you want and open carry holster with a adjustable cant) and belt it's bearable to wear such a heavy pistol every day. Of course since I last posted I got a dedicated ported barrel for the hot stuff too, 45 super and hotter hand loads for wilderness carry.
PART_1421365255537_zps3369b699.jpg

since this thread has come back to life and my previous post was about wasp spray. I will add that I carry a ruger Blackhawk .357 and a mosberg mdl 500. these are my field guns that I have when I am on the road. I own many more but will not go into that here. one more I would like to get for a field gun is a .357 lever action, but that has to wait. I might even do a trade for one. highdesertranger

LeeRevell said:
Same here.  Always within easy reach.

whether or on the road, or in a house/apartments, or wherever, i'm always carrying.  It is not a problem since I vary rarely ever leave arizona, and even if i do, i am usually in a state where the second amendment has not been made illegal.    I very rarely have ever had to even think about using it aside from the range.

Lucky mike said:
only once for me and never had to pull the trigger.............It's funny how the sound of a 12 ga. shuttling a round into the chamber demands attention so quickly!!!!

I' m new here , that said I also have a great deal of firearms experience both on and off the job and am an NRA certified trainer and have long experience in training folks in defensive and tactical usage.

A few small items , though most here exhibit common sense.

If you're going to keep a firearm for defensive purpose one needs to avail themselves of some sort training that will address defensive/tactical usage.

One must also be aware of the specific legalities of defensive usage in their current location , along with of course carry , possession , transport and possible ammunition restrictions ( think New Jersey where h/p and jhp ammunition is a ***felony***).

Lets put to rest a highly circulated myth that can be potentially life threatening and which is a drastic tactical error.

*All* "bad guys" do not " run at the sound of a pump action operating" , And in point of actual *fact* , if you run up against a trained individual that sound could possibly be assessed as to your location , if it's a highly stressed scenario they may immediately retrun fire in the direction of the sound signature. If you MUST do this , then rack the action and *move* immediately.

Carry choices are individual , purchase what *fits* you and what you can shoot well , that said don't buy junk , if it's a defensive arm that means you may at some (I hope it never comes to that for you) be ***betting your life on it's function.Practice enough with your carry or defensive arms that you are absolutely confident in their functioning , especially with semi-auto handguns.

NEVER , EVER carry magazines in your defensive or carry rig that you have not fully tested for function.

Be aware that firearms are a " horses for courses" thing , it's a *tool* and at times one will need to switch tools depending on the current function necessary.

I.E. for urban social work I prefer certain SIGs ( 220s) and 1911s or certain Smith or Ruger revolvers. For the Far North or regions of the country where you may run into Bear or hogs a Redhawk in .44 mag or 454 Casull.

Defensive carry is a *choice* , but it's a double-edged sword , it's also a high degree of *responsibility* , one must learn to resist flipping the bird at jacka** drivers and the like , in point of fact avoidance of confrontation becomes the order of the day.

flying kurbmaster said:
I don't carry anything, and never had to use it.

Usually known as the "Relying on dumb luck for my personal safety" theory.

Glad it's worked out for you so far.

Regards
John

A side note: a smartphone app called legal heat is a quick reference to laws by state. If you're traveling with a firearm, it's a good reference that links to each state's laws, as well as summarizes them.

this is an issue for me because i dont like pistols or shotgun,i like the versatility of those semi-auto carbines which make me evil in n.y.
maybe one of those new small compound bows or crossbow

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Usually known as the "Relying on dumb luck for my personal safety" theory.

Glad it's worked out for you so far.

Regards
John

I don';t think it is about luck at all, the odds are in my favor to be safer without a gun, most people on the planet don't own guns. In America fast food restaurants, insurance companies and gun manufacturers have convinced everybody that they can't live without them. I am not convinced that I need any of them.