5th wheel to gooseneck conversion?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grizzly708

Reaction score
I have found a few good deals on small 5th wheel campers. The truck I am looking at already has a gooseneck hitch. I have seen a couple of videos saying it changes the stress point on the 5th wheel.  But I am looking at a 19ft. Camper.

I had to do a quick search & found a hitch you describe rated @ 24000 lbs. I also noticed the height/length of some of these conversions and the relatively small footprint in the truck bed vs a fifth wheel hitch and it's wide stance. I'm confident that there's a product available for you, choose wisely. I see Cabela's has one rated @ 20000 lbs with a 2000 lb tongue weight rating that is a lot shorter than some others I viewed and has good reviews.

Our 5iver is a 18 footer 1993 kit road ranger. Lots of research went into a new truck and we settled on a ram 1500 swb reg cab. We had big clearance issues (knew it going in) the without a slider but didn't want a slider. We already had a reese 18k that we used for years in a dakota. Looked at the popup goose neck adapters but was very concerned with the stresses it would put on the pin box welds etc. I then found the popup rv5 kingpin extender. This solved all the clearance issues and after getting professional opinions on the frame structure, we were all set. Tows fine and can go past 80deg if needed.

Mike

there are good conversions and there are bad conversions. shop wisely. I much rather have a goose then a 5er. highdesertranger

Everything being equal highdesertranger, I would agree. We just were not built for the converzion to a gooss. Professionals advised against it...

Mike

I agree the way the 5er was built has a lot to do with if this conversion is a good idea. mainly the ones where the hitch pin is extended forward of the mount are not a good idea to convert. the ones where the pin is right under the mount are fine to convert. of course YMMV. highdesertranger

25 years ago I bought a new 26' fifth wheel TT and I didn't even pull it home until I had a welding shop weld me a conversion to go on my gooseneck ball.  I don't understand all the hand-wringing about this especially on a 19 foot trailer.  I've pulled both and I HATE the fifth wheel setup.

Latest posts