4x4

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Traction is the purpose of 4x4. No mention of getting a dually (four tires on rear axle ) truck? You can get a lot done with a dually. Look at some of these class B van RVs out there.

Not all trucks are getting taller. While the roof of my 2012 Ram is about the same height as the roof of my 1995 Ford was. the under carriage is actually a few inches lower, which translates to a much lower center of gravity. On my Ford I rarely had to jck it up to work on it, as I could crawl under and have plenty of room. on my Ram I can barely change the oil with out jacking it up. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing, I guess it depends upon priorities and how you'll use the vehicle.

remember awd and full time 4wd are always wearing out expensive parts because there is no way to disengage the system. this is one reason you don't see any older ones on the road, they're done and in the junk yards. highdesertranger

Was looking for years to find a way to disengage the 4wd on my land cruiser. Would need to remove a drive axle, and get manual hubs that unlock. Was easy to break the axles in that truck. So upgraded to hardened steel. Too much of a money pit.

Thanks for all the great information and insight.

I'm getting closer to understanding and making a decision, so...

I'm looking to go up National Park service roads and such in mountainous, not desert, temperate areas (forests in California). I won't be going more than a few miles in from a main road but far enough that it gets me away from the people and sounds.

I'm going alone. I don't have any 4x4 driving experience. I avoid risky terrain. I also want my truck to be low maintenance and low cost. I'm pretty handy with tools and can do many of my own repairs.

Should my truck camper (Long bed with slide-in) have 2WD or 4x4?

Cheers,
Mike

mike I am assuming you mean National Forest roads. the National Parks in he California Mountains do not have off highway roads as far as I know. now many of the Forest Service off highway roads in the sierras are brutal. if you only go where the roads are good for 2wd you will not escape the crowds. if you are going solo I would proceed very cautiously as far as 4x4 driving in the sierras. another point, unimproved roads in the forest have many low hanging branches which are just waiting to open up a truck camper like a sardine tin. I am not trying to discourage you, just trying to give you a heads up. trying to get away from the crowds in CA is not very easy, especially in the summer in the sierras. highdesertranger

highdesertranger. Thanks. Actually, California State Parks and National Parks in California. I'll make a new thread to discuss California specific National Park exploration. You bring up some good points to consider.

Oh. I didn't mention BLM land. Maybe I should get my terminology worked out. Confusing.

mikEXpat said:
Should my truck camper (Long bed with slide-in) have 2WD or 4x4?

If you decide to go with a 2WD,  it would be helpful to make extra allowances to carry gear to extricate yourself by yourself. The limited room you would have in the camper will in a big way be taken up by extrication equipment.

When getting to an area where most don't or can't go, with a 2WD you will spend that time fussing with winches, tire chains, cables, snatch blocks, and shovels in an environment that is not fun to work in. Or with a 4WD you will spend that time greasing and replacing king pins, transfer case seals, etc., on your own time in an environment that is more to your suiting.

If you are going more off the beaten path, financially, you are going to pay one way or the other. What is a stroll in the park for a 4WD is a bunch of ramming and jamming for a 2WD, which translates in more $ in repairs. 2WD vehicles are cheaper than 4WD unless you are trying to four wheel in a 2WD. Then it is just as much or more.

Paying for a 4WD is in a big way paying for convenience. Would you rather step outside, turn in the hubs, then drive out? Or would you rather dig out your gear and play with that in the rain for a long time?

the National parks in the sierras have no off highway access. it's strictly pavement. kinda like Disneyland, your park experience is highly regulated. there is really no boondocking. highdesertranger

I've had 3   4x4's     '81 bronco w/lockouts...'94 F250 w/lockouts....... currently drive '91 ford ranger with push button 4x4........ i just don't like it, it works fine...it ought to for what a rebuild on the tranny cost in 2008.  i've been told push button can be changed on "the fly" so to speak..........i can see it now..... i push the button and bits and pieces start flying out from under it.... i always stop to go into four wheel drive anyway and i just prefer lockouts.......  less bits & pieces to break is how i look at it........ i think the older 4x4's are built tougher...not so much plastic and builtin crumple zones...... my dream truck........1979 3/4 or 1 ton  4x4 pickup...lockouts....351ci or 390ci....LWB......west cost mirrors........cobra 40ch c.b. w/power mike......dual tanks....and fuzzy red dice [big ones...not those little wannabes]  hanging from the rear view......   :rolleyes: Where is that dang santa claus when a gal needs him anyways?   have a good nite ya'll.....TJB

I whole heartily agree TJB. on a 4x4 there is no place for auto this or push button that. on my truck I want it simple and tough. highdesertranger

At one time I had a 69 Ford 3/4 ton 2x4 with a granny gear. I seem to remember a little plate that flipped under 1st to use it. Not nearly as usable as 4x4 low but what ever was in or hitched to that truck was going with it. Add a locking rear end to that and with it's clearance....

Now that was a TRUCK. Built for work and soft no where.

Jim, your '69 reminds me of a '72 Ford 1 ton dually flatbed I once owned. The rear suspension was so stiff it didn't even have shock mounts. I loved that truck - wish I hadn't sold it when I moved to Colorado.

I drove a Ram 5500 dually with 4 w d for 5 years and never came close to getting stuck but what impressed me, since it was the first 4 w d I'd ever driven was that it always seemed to stop a lot better on slick roads, including icy. Was that my imagination or have others had that same impression?

Dust-In-the-Wind said:
...it always seemed to stop a lot better on slick roads, including icy.  Was that my imagination or have others had that same impression?

I pulled onto a side road to go pee. When I was done, I could've backed out, but that would've taken a while. Farther down the road may have had a turnout for my S10 pickup, but it was on the downhill side of a pure ice covered road. Wet and solid ice. About as slick as it could get. I didn't want to drive backwards, so I went down that road.

I couldn't stop. No matter how I applied the brakes, I slid. So I jammed on the brakes to stop the wheels from turning, engaged four wheel drive, put it into reverse, and popped the clutch.

I quickly stopped sliding and began backing out. The tires spun at first of course, but once they grabbed, they held the road. That makes no sense to me at all and to this day have not been able to make sense of it. Brakes did nothing for me, but the four wheel drive commanded the road. I wasn't sliding off to the side or fighting to keep it on the road. I simply backed up and out.

That doesn't really answer your question, or maybe it does? Perhaps you can make sense of it.

My interpretation of your ram 5500 stopping better on slick roads is that 4x4 94-01 rams came with a solid axle in the front regardless of weight capacity (1500,2500,etc) and the next generation up 01-?? everything above the 1500 line came with a solid front axle, which of course adds quite a bit of weight to the front, thus aiding stopping power. I drove a lot of both 2wd and 4wd trucks as well as tractors and the only thing that is cause for concern in 2wd is sand and steep slick inclines, everything else is fine in 2wd with some weight on the rear.

Warning old thread revival!

It is amazing how far you can go with a rear locker and GOOD tires. Tires (properly aired down) and the driver are key.

Having said that my S10 build is going to be true 4wd.

So far the rear has a Tru-Trac and  have 2 complete sets of rims/tires.

Summer tires are more mud orientated with big lugs and voids.

The winter set has small voids, more sipes and the rears have studs.

The front will be getting a custom front posi and the r/f axle has been welded to eliminate the troublesome vacuum actuator..

They plan is to GET THERE in 2wd and GET BACK with 4wd if needed.

Bob quick question, have you ever driven a vehicle with a front locker/posi? they are very hard to turn. when off road going slow it's a minor annoyance, but on the highway it's down right dangerous. if you need to be in 4wd on the highway(snow) its not good imo. if you are determined to put a locker/posi in the front I would go with an ARB air lock or Eaton electric lock. that way you can choose when to lock it in. highdesertranger

Yes I have, chatters, pops and understeers !

I wanted to get rid of the Gov-lock or as I call them Gov-snaps!

What I did was a poor mans version of the "Bravada axle swap", they were AWD

The r/s axle is welded , not the diff so the transfer case still works. 

So I have 2wd, neutral , 4lo and 4 hi.

The front posi is from these guys.  http://www.engineered.net/eplsd.htm

Attachments

• s10 v8 locked.jpg
    s10 v8 locked.jpg
    412.8 KB · Views: 4