4x4

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it doesn't matter where the posi comes from it is very difficult to steer with it when on installed in the front differential. in 4hi or 4lo the vehicle will be very hard to steer, it will want to go straight. when you try to turn it will fight you. at speed this is dangerous on snow and ice it's really dangerous. a selective locker has none of these problems and still locks when you need it. if you come to RTR I will let you drive my 4wheeler in front lock you will see. no matter how hard you try to turn it wants to go straight. highdesertranger

The main reason I think for 4 wheel drive clubs is usually somebody breaks down. It has happened on all the 4wd camping trips I was on. Between everybody there it can be fixed or towed out. I would be real careful about going to those places alone. It might turn into a hiking trip.
Using 2wd to get in, and 4wd to get back out may be a good policy.

A set of tire chains are a pain to put on, but they can get you through a lot. A ratchet strap and a chunk of wood might work also. They make a commercial product called truck claws, but I think some 6" pieces of u channel will work as well.

highdesertranger said:
it doesn't matter where the posi comes from it is very difficult to steer with it when on installed in the front differential.  

Why is a posi (which is a limited slip differential) in the front diff a problem? Plenty of front wheel drive vehicles come from the factory with LSDs.

You are both right and wrong. Not my first rodeo.

When 4wd is engaged you can get in bind during turns especially on a dry/grippy surface. Doing a u-turn makes weird things happen.

When not in 4wd the front will steer as normal.

No selective locker is available for the GM 7.5 diff, believe me I looked.