24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol. I have almost the exact same laptop.
Maybe you could tell me why the power supply gets so hot when I am gaming? I unplug it fairly quickly to let it cool down. Other than that, it seems fine (except for Sims 3, so far).

I think I am learning the limitations of laptops versus PC's. My latest PC I bought off craigslist maybe 3 years ago from a young man who does gaming. It is a Dell with no case and is pretty old. But it was $300 and he said the graphics card is amazing. He was right. I can play any game.

Now I have two laptops for my travels. One is brand new (Acer Aspire here) and the other the MSI. Neither can handle Sims 3 for very long. Both laptops freeze up.... which is common in Sims 3 if you don't reboot after x amount of time. But these freeze fast.

Pc's are just better all around, right? More powerful and durable?

I bought a laptop just b4 Christmas off a university student for $100, because the hinge is broken. But this laptop had been dropped I think. I kinda doubt the hinge can even be replaced. What do you think?
I am not a gamer so I have not experienced an overheated power supply before. So I have no advice to give on that. No doubt that info is already out there on the internet.
I can not tell exactly what all is broken by looking at a photo. YouTube is a great place to look for video instructions on how to remove and replace the parts. Use the model number on your laptop for the search. So use the combination of the two. I suggest first going to YouTube so you can compare what your laptop looks like versus the one in the video and also learn exactly the trouble you are getting into if you attempt the repair.

Once you figure out what parts you need do a search on eBay. Lots of parts sellers have eBay stores. That is where I usually go for spare parts.

Had to go into Q town to get a good signal today, it was reasonably fast as I am parked very close to the Verizon tower. The worst of the January vehicle traffic is now over.

Plus the freezing cold seems to be over as well but Mother Nature is not quite reliable enough to declare there will not be another Artic express storm this winter. For sure there will be more wind storms because those are year around events.

Maybe you could tell me why the power supply gets so hot when I am gaming? I unplug it fairly quickly to let it cool down. Other than that, it seems fine (except for Sims 3, so far).
Are you talking about your desktop or laptop regarding the power supply getting hot?

Regarding desktop vs laptop there are various design trade-offs that are made to fit the space and power consumption of a laptop.

One of the main limitations of a laptop is cooling. There isn't enough space for great airflow and cooling, so they use a number of ways to optimize keeping temperatures cooler.

All CPUs have heat protection, and laptop CPUs have more. First line of defense is stepping down the speed the CPU is running at. As it gets hotter it will continue to slow down to offset the heat it's generating. So a chip that is designed to run at 4ghz might step down to a fraction of that to stay cool enough and continue to run. Of course your game will slow down, skip, and stutter, as the system specs are now lower than what it takes to run that game.

If you added a laptop stand with a fan that would help. Or even placing a fan by the air intake would help quite a bit.

There are other reasons why the Sims might slow down but that is probably the most likely culprit on the laptops.

You probably hear the fan coming on and possibly staying on when playing Sims on your laptops. The internal fan can only do do much. So yourself a favor and blow out the intake and exhaust for the laptops when they are unplugged and off. Dust buildup can really limit cooling if the heatsinks inside get slightly blocked. Same with the internal fans. Do it outside as it will be dusty. Canned air works for this.

Are you asking about the laptop itself overheating or are you asking about the power “brick” that is between the power source and the laptop?

If it is the laptop itself get a vented cooling fan stand to put underneath the laptop. Do not try to game when the indoors temperature is over 80+ degrees unless you have a cooling fan stand under your laptop. Even then be cautious because heat kills laptops, phones and tablets too.

If the power brick is overheating make sure it has plenty of ventilation around it instead of it being confined against other objects. Plus take a break now and again and let your electronics have a cool down period as well.

Are you asking about the laptop itself overheating or are you asking about the power “brick” is between the power source and the laptop?

If it is the laptop itself get a vented cooling fan stand to put underneath the laptop. Do not try to game when the indoors temperature is over 80+ degrees unless you have a cooling fan stand under your laptop. Even then be cautious because heat kills laptops, phones and tablets too.
The brick for the MSI laptop. No issues with the PC.

Are you talking about your desktop or laptop regarding the power supply getting hot?

Regarding desktop vs laptop there are various design trade-offs that are made to fit the space and power consumption of a laptop.
Sorry, the laptop. I was replying to Frood's comment that he has almost identical laptop as my MSI.

If it's the correct power adapter for the laptop, it should be more than capable of producing the required current in performance mode.

If it's getting very hot and the ambient temperature is mild and not overly warm, you'll probably want to pick up a replacement power adapter. Getting hot can be a sign of a wall wart or power adapter failing. It'll probably leave you "stranded", so to speak. Some laptops run all power through the battery, so it's conditioned and clean. Others bypass the battery and have a separate charging circuit. If it's the latter, when you're power adapter fails it can create issues with your hardware.

If it's the correct power adapter for the laptop, it should be more than capable of producing the required current in performance mode.

If it's getting very hot and the ambient temperature is mild and not overly warm, you'll probably want to pick up a replacement power adapter. Getting hot can be a sign of a wall wart or power adapter failing. It'll probably leave you "stranded", so to speak. Some laptops run all power through the battery, so it's conditioned and clean. Others bypass the battery and have a separate charging circuit. If it's the latter, when you're power adapter fails it can create issues with your hardware.
It's on a flat surface in my chilly travel trailer. Could it have something to do with me being on shore power?

It's on a flat surface in my chilly travel trailer. Could it have something to do with me being on shore power?
Not likely. Unless you're getting dirty power. Like a non inverter generator. Or you consistently have brownout conditions. You would know if you did. Your desktop would be having issues in those conditions more than your laptops.

Like my cord disconnecting repeatedly? Grandkids... long story.
No. That's blackout lol.

Brownout if where you have lower voltage than 110v at times. Things will still work, but some electronics will commit hari kari. It's one of the worst conditions you can have with electronic devices.

Story time lol.

Had a customer I built a sweet sweet PC for. Worked perfectly. I rarely had customers come back with build issues because I always used top quality parts. She takes it home and a few days later I get a call. It's crashing and acting up. She brought it back to the store. Worked perfectly. She took it home, acted up. Then when she brought it back I replaced the power supply as the symptoms she described made it the likely suspect. This went on for a little over a month. Over that period I ended up replacing literally every single piece of that computer, except for the case.

Mind you, during this time I was extremely busy with many things. So I would have my techs work on the other things while I focused on this computer. During this process, I was asking her about the power situation at her place. She tells me that they just had a garage put up a while back and all the electrical was perfect. Then she said they had bought a tester and testing said everything was good. She was a competent person, as was her husband, so I keep replacing parts and being confused lol.

Every single time it was at the shop it worked perfectly. I was just replacing parts because it was a puzzle to me.

Finally she says I don't want this POS. I want my money back and on and on. So I said look. You see that it's behaving here. And it only messes up at your place. You have insisted that your end is fine and haven't wanted me to troubleshoot it there. I'm willing to refund your money if I can't get it to work at your place. She agreed.

I go over to their place, turn on the computer, and after a few minutes it acts up. A few minutes later it crashes. Restart. Acts funny. It's fine. On and on it goes. But I notice there's a timing to the symptoms.

I ask her again about dirty power, and she insists they have tested it and bought a special tester. She goes and gets it. I'm expecting electricians tools. She brings me a ground fault tester...
That, of course doesn't show anything that I needed to see.

So we take a break. And she's showing me her new garage. It's like a 5 car garage. Tons of neon light beer signs, a few extra old fridges, pool table, some electric heaters, and florescent lights hanging everywhere. We go back inside, and I start noticing something. Everything is electric, everything. Old fridge in the house. Radiant heat in every room, electric stove, water heater, you name it.

So I went back to the computer. Every single time the computer glitched, I heard a noise from the other room. Ended up that with all the electric items in the house and garage, the panel was at capacity. And when the fridge in the kitchen kicked on the compressor draw was causing a brownout condition making the PC crash. I went to the car and pulled out a battery backup with an integrated line conditioner and connected it to the PC. It ran 110v from the battery so it was always clean power.

We sat there playing on the computer for an hour laughing. She was a good person and we got along well. And now she understood what I had been saying all along about dirty power. That town had somewhat sketchy power in certain areas. Appliances don't care much about dirty power. Electronics definitely do. I ended up giving her the conditioner, and she became a great referral for new customers.

Similar to pure sine wave, modified sine wave, and unmodified non inverter generator power. Certain items can handle certain things.

No. That's blackout lol.

Brownout if where you have lower voltage than 110v at times. Things will still work, but some electronics will commit hari kari. It's one of the worst conditions you can have with electronic devices.

Story time lol.

<snip>

Similar to pure sine wave, modified sine wave, and unmodified non inverter generator power. Certain items can handle certain things.
Good story:)

I've always called these brick things power cords. I notice on the brick it says AC Adapter. So when I search for a replacement cord, look for AC Adapter? I'll try to replace it with the same adapter that came with the laptop, but I'm sure it will cost an arm & a leg. I'll check New Egg.

Thanks so much.

Edit: can you recommend a reliable brand to buy? UL Listed:) Thx

Last edited:
You can just put these search terms in:

Make/model of laptop power supply.

There will be plenty to choose from. Look for many good reviews. Or you can pay more for OEM. Which really isn't necessary. In fact. If you want to give that info here. I'll do a quick search and see what's out there for you.

When I was in the A+ computer repair class on the first day of class the instructor gave us the golden rule of troubleshooting problems “ALWAYS check the physical connections first.”

so here is the question …what connection device type are you using to get power to that AC power brick that is plugged into your computer? Second how is the wiring to that particular connection connected to a power source?

I think I am learning the limitations of laptops versus PC's. My latest PC I bought off craigslist maybe 3 years ago from a young man who does gaming. It is a Dell with no case and is pretty old. But it was $300 and he said the graphics card is amazing. He was right. I can play any game.

Now I have two laptops for my travels. One is brand new (Acer Aspire here) and the other the MSI. Neither can handle Sims 3 for very long. Both laptops freeze up.... which is common in Sims 3 if you don't reboot after x amount of time. But these freeze fast.

Pc's are just better all around, right? More powerful and durable?
Using it on a flat table/tray helps, but make sure that you turn the booster fan on when pushing the hardware (the button next to the power button)... If it has it... Not sure but mine has one there.
I think they may be pushing the hardware setting a little. Using it on a flat surface with the fans help airflow and to keep it cooler but yeah, mine heats up when I'm gaming too.

Perhaps one of these gaming laptop supports is a solution to overheating of the laptop itself? This one has pretty good reviews from customers. My 2 in1 laptop can be setup in tablet mode so the normally facing down bottom-side sits upright for better surface cooling. But I could use a cooling fan stand for my older, conrntional style laptops. But maybe not this many fans would be needed except on 90+ degree weather days.
IMG_1335.png

Just my experience,I've had server laptop hinges break until I found ACER, NOT ASUS! The ACERs have a full length hinge.
Good info if I was purchasing another laptop.

But in my case I have a $1,500 piece of 3D CAD software for a specific program I love using on the laptop with a broken hinge. I obtained the use and the right to use it as an associate of the software dealer that I no longer work with in my “retirement years”. So if I wanted to install that same software on a new computer I would have to actually buy a license for that software. So in my situation buying a $9.99 set of used hinges is the very cost effective solution for being able to run that software.

Sometimes legacy software installs are valid reasons why it is useful to keep older computers running. My friend has a 4 axis CNC milling machine that needs a special port that is no longer available on new laptops and the OS also has to be an older version to run on the old laptop. No adapter Port is available. So his very best solution when his old laptops died is to go to EBay and buy a a similar old, reconditioned laptop or PC that has the correct port on it. Fortunately there are sellers who offer them.

EBay is also where I can find other parts for fixing up older laptops such as hinges. Make do, fix and repair, or do without is the economical problem solving solution. Ebay to the rescue!

Latest posts