24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just my experience,I've had server laptop hinges break until I found ACER, NOT ASUS! The ACERs have a full length hinge.
Good info if I was purchasing another laptop. But fortunately I am not in need of a new one… yet.

And I thought it was DUCT TAPE to the Rescue
What kind of DUCT TAPE, that shiny aluminum stuff they use on Heat and AC ducts?
It has been a very long time since I have needed any other type so I have forgotten what it looks like. 🤣 🤣

I do have some “Rescue” tape. It is silicone tape that sticks to itself. I have used it to rescue a few people’s wiring that needed to have heat shrink on it and also plumbing leaks when they were too lazy to do the job right and I decided I was much too lazy redo it for them. They get the honor of wrapping it on themselves, with supervision of course.

Last edited:
Gorilla Tape makes a one sided cloth tape similar to the cloth school bus seat repair tape or 100 MPH tape used to cover bullet holes in Huey Helicopters. The seat repair tape flexes well and will last a long time if used as a hinge. The Gorilla tape is stiffer but holds weight better.

Gorilla Tape makes a one sided cloth tape similar to the cloth school bus seat repair tape or 100 MPH tape used to cover bullet holes in Huey Helicopters. The seat repair tape flexes well and will last a long time if used as a hinge. The Gorilla tape is stiffer but holds weight better.
That is the brand I buy, good stuff and durable…so far. Not that I would ever admit using it to having used it to Abnorm. But then again I was not using it to repair something so I do not think my use counts as a fix-it repair. 🤣

I am often behind on news events while living a nomadic life. I just came across an article talking about Amazon getting ready to begin competing in the type of service that Starlink, Space X company is offering. It is called “Project Kuiper”. Amazon is its own developer and has already launched a few satellites for testing use. Here is a link to a discussion of it on Amazon’s own news blog. All the development work is being done at an Amazon facility near Seattle.
https://www.aboutamazon.com/news/innovation-at-amazon/what-is-amazon-project-kuiper

I am often behind on news events while living a nomadic life. I just came across an article talking about Amazon getting ready to begin competing in the type of service that Starlink, Space X company is offering. It is called “Project Kuiper”. Amazon is its own developer and has already launched a few satellites for testing use. Here is a link to a discussion of it on Amazon’s own news blog. All the development work is being done at an Amazon facility near Seattle.
https://www.aboutamazon.com/news/innovation-at-amazon/what-is-amazon-project-kuiper
Thanks Maki. I didn't know about it.

Hi,
Just a thought, but there a few companies out there that provide interface adapters for just about anything. If he needs a 9 or 25 pin serial port for the CNC machine, or even a parallel port, it shouldn't be hard to find. I'll help find it if that helps. And no, I don't sell anything. I've just been in the industry since mainframes.

^^^ been there and tried that fix. It did not work. He just needs to shell out the cash and get a reconditioned older computer with the right ports. But if it is not a priority need he won’t do it.

Yesterday we were texting while our machines were cutting parts. He was running a laser cutter and I was running a digital die cutter. We are both professional, “makers”. Being seniors has slowed down the pace but we both still design and make products with no plan of retiring from that activity unless health issues that can’t be overcome force it on us.

Quartzsite…Sunny but windy day. The daytime high has dropped back to the low 60s. Factoring in the wind chill factor that takes it into the 50s. This morning inside my trailer my hands are feeling chilled. But there is good solar power today! I will wrap my hands around a cup of hot coffee, fire up my diesel heater to warm up as well as dehumidify the air.
Mother Nature is reminding me that it is not yet spring time in Southern Arizona just because earlier this week there were three days in a row with temperature in the 70s.

I need to ship out an Etsy order today but it has proven to be very frustrating to cut. A combination of a number of individual factors, including rainy weather, that all coincided. Hopefully I will get it cut in time to make it to the post office for today’s outgoing mail deadline. It is not yet past due to be shipped but I never want that to happen!

I hope travel around is doing ok. Glad she’s got a sticks and bricks. Sounds like it’s been and going to be wet there!
We do know she is in a good weather proofed house and does not have tall trees that could fall on it. I do not recall that she mentioned how the new house is being heated.

With this storm all around California the electrical power could go out from trees falling on power lines and that on occasions can also mean cell tower issues.

If you hear someone who is OK but not an expert with woodworking and has only a few tools along saying they need to make a cabinet with very strong but lightweight drawers here is a method I used some years back. It would work for a cargo trailer or bus build.
IMG_1344.png
The drawers are Cambridge brand food service pans. The kind you might see in a restaurant buffet line for the salad bar. They are VERY strong and durable and they weigh only about 1.5lbs each. I had them heavily loaded with tools and there was no deformation to the shape. So they would work for food, dishware and clothing too.

The plastic runners are a perfect fit. They are U channels sold as fencing supplies to support the edges of PVC vinyl lattice fence panels. A wood block is required under them to stabilize and prevent them twisting when a drawer is loaded with weight.

It does not require a lot of tools or high end carpentry skills and tools to build such a cabinet. Of course it will need a door on the cabinet. These Cambridge bins would also work as drawers for shorter cabinets. They do come in two lengths but the width is a standard size.

Last edited:
^^^ sorry I did not catch that the auto correct function for this forum changed the name of the plastic pans from “Cambro” to Cambridge.

There seems to be an increase in the number of mornings when I do not want to do any work or chores. A sure sign it’s still winter time.

There seems to be an increase in the number of mornings when I do not want to do any work or chores. A sure sign it’s still winter time.
Is that what it means? I just thought when I felt like that it was a day that ended with "day".

There was a reason why my mood said do no work today. I should not have overriden that mental cutoff switch! I forgot that yesterday I changed some settings on my vinyl cutter for using a different type of cardstock. So when I cut the normal type with it today things did my work out the way I was expecting! Oh well it is just lost time and an a piece of cardstock. Plus frustration with wondering what now?? It took a bit of pondering before I remembered I had changed settings.

The start of Atmospheric River Storm round 2 has now arrived in Quartzsite. The worst of the rains, along with thunder and lightning , won’t make it here until around 5pm. But tomorrow morning it will all be somewhere else keeping other campers indoors for the day.

Hopefully the people at Van Aid do not get a ton of rain today. Definetly not the ideal weather for doing build work. But sunny days are in the upcoming forecast so starting day after tomorrow and on through week 2, Van Aid should be a roar of activity taking place. .