24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dang it TA… I don’t care to know details. But that stinks… family is family. You should be able to enjoy your kids… I’ve met a few people who’s kids are less then nice to them… I’m looking forward to Friday!! My youngest child (35) is visiting about six days… I’m happy my kids are very forgiving. As cranky as I am they all seem to still love the old man. I was thinking of saying I was getting a mail order bride. Then have my daughter learn some words in Russian or something… haha!

I also like Makis cabinets vanbrat. Maybe for something simple that can breathe and have dual purpose you can use peg board? Then when you're camped you can set up some hooks for various purposes.

Just a thought that might or might not make sense in your setup. And it's easy enough to cut and fit.
have some parts made of peg board and yes they are good to use for what ever this or that trip will need. But they too are not doing good with the PNW moister.... They have held up for about 3 years so I should not complain to much.

Hard freeze warning for the night. But the freeze part does not happen until just before sunrise. I did go into town today to buy a gallon of diesel to top up my heater’s fuel tank. It has been very nice to have it running properly so I have been using it most mornings and in the evenings. It got so chilly I even fired it up at mid afternoon today.

It looks like the Women’s RTR event is going to start off windy chilly. Why they want to keep on having the RTR in January seems strange. It is not as if most of the people who attend the RTR are interested in buying big motorhomes at the January big tent sale. I guess it is just a tradition thing to do it in January but November or late February would be a lot nicer weather for that event.

Yesterday was very strong wind gust here at La Posa South LTVA. Stronger than predicted gust happened of around 50mph. I am totally mystified why people who have the type of popup shade pavilions with the expanding metal frame think they are going to hold up in that kind of wind. While driving out of the LTVA to go to town I saw 4 of those shelters that had turned into a twisted mass of tubing with the canvas tops no where in sight. If you are planning on going on the road do not get one of those things unless you plan on taking it down right away if wind is in the forecast.

Last edited:
I built a kayak trailer out of the remains of shade structure frames I found by the dumpsters one year and plenty of canopy material! I had a huge duffel bag full of hardware but it seems the manufacturers kept changing types and sizes every few months so I threw most of it away. We ended up with a Kodiak tent but even those have the floor raise up in high winds on the desert pavement.

No recipe, I just use a biscuit mix bought in small pouches that makes only about 6 biscuits. Just add milk and stir. Then make it into 1/2”to 3/4” thick patty cakes. I usually make a half pouch worth at a time. That is all that will fit into my big skillet.
Thanks for the recipe and this sounds good to me. It has been a long time since I made or ate biscuits and now you have me wanting some. Yes, of course space is limited in your trailer and why didn't I think of that after living in a trailer three years? You made an awesome pantry. Thanks for sharing the photographs!!!

I am totally mystified why people who have the type of popup shade pavilions with the expanding metal frame think they are going to hold up in that kind of wind. While driving out of the LTVA to go to town I saw 4 of those shelters that had turned into a twisted mass of tubing with the canvas tops no where in sight. If you are planning on going on the road do not get one of those things unless you plan on taking it down right away if wind is in the forecast.
I have the remains of one of those popup canopies in my yard - it was my daughter's. I also have one *never used* in my cargo trailer. I wasn't going to put it up unless the weather was right and I had sand for sandbags that attach to the poles. I guess I never found the need. The trailer had an awning and I was good about keeping it drawn in whenever there was wind.

My daughter's trailer awning blew off her borrowed trailer and is still sitting in my yard. I offered it back to the tribe as it came from one of their trailers but they never sent someone to pick it up. What to do with a broken trailer awning - any ideas? I think when I get someone willing to help me load it into my van, I'll take it to the transfer station and be done with it. One of my friends said her son might want it, but I don't know what for.

^^^^The fabric might be nice to have for a sunshade drop for your porch or art studio building. Or even as a floor protective drop cloth for messy jobs. The metal parts can go to waste metal recycling. While your town might not have a facility that pays by the pound for scrap metal there might be someone at the tribe or church who takes the occasional run to a location that buys scrap metal. That way you could have someone take it away from your place while allowing them to make some extra money. The pay rate for scrap aluminum is pretty good and those arms and rollers have a lot of aluminum in them. Even scrap steel such as the twisted popup awning frame can be sold but it is not as valuable dollar wise as aluminum.

^^^Got one of those awnings also, pulled the mounting bolts right through the side of someone’s new truck camper judging from the pieces of camper still attached to it!

I think Ikea has plastic peg board.
I think the IKEA plastic peg board has linear slots rather than round holes. But 1/4” thickness, plastic peg board with round holes has become not too hard to find online. You can likely order it and get free local delivery to places such as Walmart, Home Depot and Tractor Supply.
For my nomadic lifestyle that for me has become one of the ways I purchase things that are too big for Amazon lockers. Delivery to a local store works pretty good as an alternative and plastic pegboard is very likely available that way being as it is a Hardware store type of item.

So I'm getting ready to move on (alas, just trading a sticks and adobe for another sticks and something). The volunteer gig I came here for fell apart long ago but I've been stuck here because of some medical/dental stuff that's finally! winding up. Still hoping to /eventually/ go somewhere Spanish-speaking with low cost-of-living to stretch my pension, but need another year here first. Trying to decide between southern Arizona and coastal Mississippi. Mississippi has rivers and beaches and kayaking. Arizona has mountains and that big sky. Per the internet (hahaha) it ought to be possible to find a relatively cheap apartment (hahaha) either place if u look hard enough and don't have too high standards. I'm getting old enough that I'm afraid if I don't get back to kayaking soon I won't be able to. OTOH that big desert sky is really hard to let go. My ankle is better but not good enough for long ambitious hikes yet. Hoping to find a small town, but of course it's harder to find an apartment in a small town.
Those of us who even get to /consider/ choices like this are really lucky.
I hope I pick someplace that Elon Musk never gets interested in as he seems to be the kiss o' death for low cost of living, but good luck psyching him out lol.

So I'm getting ready to move on (alas, just trading a sticks and adobe for another sticks and something). The volunteer gig I came here for fell apart long ago but I've been stuck here because of some medical/dental stuff that's finally! winding up. Still hoping to /eventually/ go somewhere Spanish-speaking with low cost-of-living to stretch my pension, but need another year here first. Trying to decide between southern Arizona and coastal Mississippi. Mississippi has rivers and beaches and kayaking. Arizona has mountains and that big sky. Per the internet (hahaha) it ought to be possible to find a relatively cheap apartment (hahaha) either place if u look hard enough and don't have too high standards. I'm getting old enough that I'm afraid if I don't get back to kayaking soon I won't be able to. OTOH that big desert sky is really hard to let go. My ankle is better but not good enough for long ambitious hikes yet. Hoping to find a small town, but of course it's harder to find an apartment in a small town.
I hope I pick someplace that Elon Musk never gets interested in as he seems to be the kiss o' death for low cost of living, but good luck psyching him out lol.
I would go for the kayaking/adventure area first, as Arizona skies will always be there when you want it.

Maybe there's a best of both worlds spot you haven't considered.

Arizona isn’t exactly cheap although it has been a while since I looked for apartments the data says prices are going up. It’s easier to be a nomad than most places though and doesn’t have hurricanes that can wipe you out, but that would be an adventure! Lol!!!

I myself would never want to go kayaking in Mississippi, way too many mosquitos plus it is Zika territory. I am sure you already have enough health issues without taking that disease onboard your body.

There is Kayaking in Arizona, it has rivers and lakes. The point of living the nomadic lifestyle out of a vehicle is not just travel it is also about avoiding high cost of living such as rent. You can live in Northern AZ in summer and southern AZ in winter and areas in between in spring and fall. There is beautiful and bountiful kayaking over by Lake Havasu City along the Colorado River. There are many lakes between Phoenix and Flagstaff. Lots of free 14 day camping around and the possibilities of volunteer camp hosting for a whole season near good kayaking is very much possible. Of course the same is true for California where the mountains are full of rivers and lakes as well as camp hosting. Being a kayak instructor at a resort is another potential for free rent.
https://www.visitarizona.com/places/rivers-lakes/

Last edited:
So I'm getting ready to move on (alas, just trading a sticks and adobe for another sticks and something).

Hoping to find a small town, but of course it's harder to find an apartment in a small town.

You might consider some of the small towns in West Texas. Cost of living is generally lower than the rest of the state.

With vast, wide open spaces, West Texas is where the desert southwest actually begins.

But please dont tell Elon. We dont need any of that nonsense out here!

Current Zika status in the USA from the CDC website.

https://www.cdc.gov/zika/geo/index.html
  • There is no current local transmission of Zika virus in the continental United States.
    • The last cases of local Zika transmission by mosquitoes in the continental United States were in Florida and Texas in 2016-17.
  • Since 2019, there have been no confirmed Zika virus disease cases reported from United States territories.
  • No Zika virus transmission by mosquitoes has ever been reported in Alaska and Hawaii.
No mention of Mississippi.

I hate skeeters, having grown up in the Land o' 10,000 Lakes.

Arid desert is fine, with the local underground Amargosa River watering the scrub brush.

You might consider some of the small towns in West Texas. Cost of living is generally lower than the rest of the state.

With vast, wide open spaces, West Texas is where the desert southwest actually begins.

But please dont tell Elon. We dont need any of that nonsense out here
Do you have rivers? with actual water in them?
I <3<3<3 Route 90 from Uvalde to Van Horn. But you're probably thinking of somewhere north of there, right?

Good news about the Zika situation. The abatement programs seem to be working!

With the local talk about the free piles at the RTR and the ability to do a drive up and drop off of items for that giveaway I am now motivated to do a search through my cabinets, drawers and duffle bags of stuff for unused or less than totally pleasing to me items that I do not mind parting with.

If I were to have a New Year’s resolution it would be to become a lot more disciplined about putting stuff away when I am done using it. Having less stuff will help with that. Having less stuff means getting projects completed so that I am not storing project materials. It is all too overwhelming, I will put that off for another year 🤣