24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Waiting for the morning to get warmer so I can work on my screen room reinforcing modifications. If only I had a screen room with side panels to work inside of I could get an earlier start on the work 🤣

I now have chicken and eggs . My new “coop” is setup. More projects to do for it but it is functional. 🐣

Large Marge, your memory is failing you, I am not a Newbie.
Some people have enough “smarts” to think through and analyze how to prevent issues such as mold. I am one of those people. My bed area as well as all of my small travel trailer has zero mold issues. I thought all that stuff through before I started renovating. I have spent the last 50+ years professionally building things. I do not need to be told what to do and I am not even close to being a “newbie”. I have 50 years of professional building experience and that means I have skills and knowledge and the result of that background is I have zero mold issues in my travel trailer. Your way is not the only way. Moisture never reaches the boards under my mattress or even gets into my mattress cushions and all my cabinets are constructed with ventilated cabinet doors. I have mesh panels that allow air movement on every one of my custom cabinets that I designed and built myself. They are designed specifically to prevent mold issues by allowing for a constant air exchange. If you think before you build you can avoid problems such as mold.
View attachment 34803
Vented cabinets....super idea ! 😃

Wow, chickens/eggs? That's getting pretty fancy. My daughter had chickens while she was here and "free ranged" them so they were all over my property for a while. I don't miss them. The roosters woke me up every morning before 5 am even though there was no daylight. So annoying.

Can you explain that? Those chickens produced more than eggs but I hear it is good for the soil. Still, not important enough for me to keep a flock of my own.

Believe me, after living for nearly two years with my daughter's 10 chickens I'm all chickened out. I'd rather buy eggs at the store.

Can you explain that? Those chickens produced more than eggs but I hear it is good for the soil. Still, not important enough for me to keep a flock of my own.

Believe me, after living for nearly two years with my daughter's 10 chickens I'm all chickened out. I'd rather buy eggs at the store.
Don't they eat insects? Trying to remember how they benefit the yard.

My daughter has a love / hate relationship with her chickens.

I bought her hundreds of spring bulbs to plant and the chickens ate all of them before they could bloom. But, she always has eggs:)

Not sure why she keeps them. Her pit bulls play with them. Now and then predators kill them. Foxes, I think.

Some progress made on my converting one of the cloth covers that get used on the 10’ x19’ metal framed canopies into a rainfly/UV shield cover for my 4 sided 6’ x 6’ popup screen room.

I cut off the excess fabric at the lower edge of that 10 x 10 cover. The fit is now good other than I found out the cover for the metal canopy has a change of angle to being a steeper pitch when it gets within about 18 inches of the top center. So I had to open up the four seams at the top down the area of change so I can recut and take out the excess fabric.

Next step is to make some fabric doublers at the lower edge using the scrap material left from cutting off excess fabric so I can add some tie down guy line ropes to keep the rainfly/UV shield secured for high winds situations.

Getting that new rainfly in place is not too difficult. The popup screen room top springs up by pushing on the center hub fitting. I am tall enough that when the hub is down I can walk around and get that rainfly over the screen room roof before I go into the tent and push up on the center hub fitting.

Next up will be taking the customized rainfly cover to Camilla’s new sewing tent to sew the modifications changes that were required.

I will likely have enough of the red polyester PU coated on one side canvas fabric from that canopy cover to make some stuff like generator rain and dust covers or gear bags, dog rain jackets, seat cushions, etc.

Last edited:
Sooo what do you call a person who takes care of chickens.....

A chicken tender.... Don't remember where I read that may even have been here.

I like my neighbors' chickens and the sounds they make. Mostly 'cause they are her chickens to take care of not mine