24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Through what?

My furnace still works but the lights running on the trailer's backup battery are already getting dim. If I need to recharge the Jackery I can plug it into the house electricity. The Jackery is running the essentials: wifi and the computer.

What doesn't work in the trailer now: water heater, microwave, toaster, coffeemaker. Everything else is just about normal.

The furnace quit working last night. I have plenty of propane, but now it is cold here in the travel trailer. The stove still works. The contractor is here working on the house - maybe porch railings - and the inspection by the county is at 10... I need an occupancy permit to be able to live there.... and fire insurance.

Hang in there. It sounds like the timing is just about dead on for you to move into your place just in time.

I feel like I'm vandwelling again. It was the cold of winter that stopped that but here I am in it again. Just took a vandweller sponge bath and brushed my teeth vandweller style - no running water - don't know why that was turned off again. Spent time in my van this morning getting a little warmth from the running engine. The county agent will be here at ten to inspect and I just heard someone pull up in the yard - guess I'll go now. Have a great day.

The furnace quit working last night. I have plenty of propane, but now it is cold here in the travel trailer. The stove still works. The contractor is here working on the house - maybe porch railings - and the inspection by the county is at 10... I need an occupancy permit to be able to live there.... and fire insurance.
you do not have insurance coverage during the construction phase?

Furnace? No... it is in the borrowed trailer that the furnace went out. The house passed the first inspection today and will have another tomorrow for the occupancy permit. I think I'm moving in there tomorrow afternoon. I put a pot of water on the stove to boil and that helped warm the trailer. The house turned out nice... at this point I'm very happy with it. I love the railings/banister on the porch. They installed that today.

Just in time for Christmas!!! A long time coming… When kids, parents would call us to come. We’d say we’re coming and they’d say so is Christmas! You really hung in there… your patience is paying off!

Travelaround, what a terrific crew you had building your new home. They must have worked very hard to keep their goal of having you moved in by Christmas! So many unexpected delays can happen during construction but it appears they managed to overcome them all and still make it possible for you to celebrate Christmas in your new home. Another Christmas miracle🌟

Thank you all. Yes, this is definitely a miracle house.

I'm still in my cold trailer with water boiling on the stove, and the Jackery is running my wifi and computer. It is mind-boggling to think this might be the last morning waking up in the trailer.

I had to take the Jackery 1000 to the house yesterday to recharge it as in less than 24 hours it went from 99% down to 10%. Last night it was at 100% again and this morning, down to 80% and all it did was run my wifi router and recharge my phone. I'm wondering if it is emptying fast because of the cold.

I'm used to having it last longer. During the summer it ran my fans in the shed while I was working in there and the charge seemed to last a long time.

Writing from within the new house now. Occupancy permitted and contractor nearly done here. Miracles DO occur. So happy... ready to get on with the next section of my life. I still plan on working on my van in the springtime. Never give up.
I am absolutely thrilled this is coming together for you!

Found a photo on one of my usb thumb drives of my Seattle roomies Don and Bosun circa 2010 hanging out in my old workshop space. Bosun is of course in doggy heaven now but Don is still hanging around Seattle as a full time live aboard. He has been doing that for going on 40 years. The last few years of his life Bosun could no longer manage to get in and out of the sailboat so he stayed at the workshop. He was a mixed breed rescue. Sweet natured as well as a great watchdog. But he did not the smell of someone who was a smoker and was inebriated., that set him into growling and wanting to defend his space and his humans. He also refused to step down into the cockpit of the sailboat so we figure someone tried to turn him into a pit fighting dog and when it did not work just dumped him in a neighborhood.

Attachments

• IMG_1223.jpeg
    IMG_1223.jpeg
    441.8 KB · Views: 0
Beautiful dog! I've been thinking about getting a watch dog and canine companion.
Get the right one and they truly can make life a lot better. Fenced yard for the dog makes a HUGE difference when you are a senior as some days you just do not feel up to taking a lot of long walks in bad weather. That big front porch will also be a big help as a place to dry off the dog and its paws as well as a shady place to nap.