24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...I buy identical pairs of black socks in quantity.
"Black socks, they never get dirty.
The more that you wear 'em, the blacker they get.
Sometimes, I think about changing,
But something inside me says 'oh no, not yet'."

(I do much the same, BTW. Keeps it easy!)

I am very glad I decided to head to Quartzite before my 14 day stay in Lake Havasu City was up which would have been this Monday. I left early because the long range forecast was showing a bit more wind for this Monday than I prefer to deal with when towing. Sure enough Lake Havasu City is now under High Wind Warnings for this Sunday and Tuesday. The Quartzsite forecast is just for breezy conditions which is OK on a hot afternoon. I took down some of my shade cloth this evening so I do not have to get up early to do that just in case the wind is stronger than predicted.

I put in a long day of work today and will hopefully do a repeat of that tomorrow. It is not as if there is a whole lot of activity going on in Quartzsite right now so I am not missing out on anything interesting to do.

Today I move the cat and dog to the motor home in Quartzsite. I'm not sure this having 2 motor homes is any less work. I will officially be in Q for the winter, but then I come back up here and clean and winterize and move to storage the motor home up here. I'm hoping by November 1 things will have calmed down.

I don’t believe it maki2… you have some doubt in the weatherman or lady?
We’re not terribly cold here, but it doesn’t get above freezing at all now til I leave. Which got moved up a tad since I have a daughter needing her dad… I almost couldn’t dump my tanks yesterday. It got colder then predicted… I know Maki, I know… anyways, I had to dump some buckets of hot water to get the job done. Kira is looking forward to the warmth too…

I don’t believe it maki2… you have some doubt in the weatherman or lady?
We’re not terribly cold here, but it doesn’t get above freezing at all now til I leave. Which got moved up a tad since I have a daughter needing her dad… I almost couldn’t dump my tanks yesterday. It got colder then predicted… I know Maki, I know… anyways, I had to dump some buckets of hot water to get the job done. Kira is looking forward to the warmth too…
I am looking forward to seeing Kira. Oh… and you too 🙃

I spent the day indoors, it was warm enough to take my fleece layer off by 10. But now at 5 it is cool enough to put it back on. It will go back to being in the mid 80s in a couple of days.

Of course I have doubts about the weather predictions. We all know they just watch the birds and insects and use various other methods of ancient divination to predict it. 🎃🎃💀💀🧙

Some of the tents of campers in the area by the toilet building next to Pirate Camp at La Posa South got flattened by the wind today.

Last edited:
Yikes… I hope that isn’t a sign of things to come.
Of course it is a sign of things to come! But that is in the nature of a “situation normal” for there to be wind storms in the desert. The collapsing tent thing was just mostly just newbies not using the right stakes for this soil condition. I think they went into town and got better stakes and hammers as I heard the sound of metal hammers ringing on iron rebar stakes yesterday evening. They must have gotten some advice from Quartzsite veterans on what to buy.

Nice day today though! Which is good as I will be going into town today to ship stuff out at the post office letter drop box and maybe a visit to the public library. It is nice being in a location with a not too long of a straight and flat drive into town.

Last edited:
I took a drive over and into the Tyson Wash LTVA. This is a
Pay to camp there BLM area that has some amenities but no designated campsites, the camping is all dispersed. The waste waster dump and fresh water stations are not yet open but there was a 2 man crew flushing out the main incoming water line at the water fill up area. No signage has been put up.

Once that facility is up and operational Tyson Wash will become very popular as it has considerably better cell signal strength La Posa South. There is an area with a number of vault toilet buildings and a dumpster that is already looking to be very popular with campers in tents, cargo trailers and other vehicles that are not self contained. It is easy access down a wide gravel road from the Tyson Wash entry gate. That road into Tyson Wash is in good condition and it leads to another wide road known as the Old Yuma Road. Turn right onto that Old Yuma Road for easy access for low ground clearance vehicles to reach the vault toilets and dumpster area. It is also an area that is closer to the mountains so the views outside all along to the west are very enjoyable.

Last edited:
70 degree weather is returning to Quartzsite on Wednesday! Get a move on, it’s time to join the annual snow bird migration 🌞

Population at the area at Quartzsite La Posa South LTVA where “Pirate Camp” typically gathers is now up to 4.

The Captain’s vessel with his size XXXL Pirate flag/banner and big shade cloth sail has not yet arrived. He stated elsewhere his ETA is going to be somewhere around November 15th.

Breakfast today, a chicken breast meat sandwhich with cranberry sauce, super yummy!. I had one for dinner last night and could not help myself repeating that meal for breakfast.

The other day wanting to do some grocery shopping for things I could not get or else at least buy for a reasonable price in Quartzsite I decided to go shopping at the Smart and Final grocery store in Blythe, CA. They had a sale on large rotisserie chickens. By large I mean a 3lb chicken! It was excellent, moist, tender and very tasty. Forget those scrawny, dry, roasted chickens from Walmart, they are not anywhere close in quality. I will for sure be buying another one the next time I go to the town of Blythe; but I suspect it is best to look for them early in the day as I went in the early afternoon and got the last one.

As I was in Blythe I also stopped at Rite Aid for a flu and Covid vaccine. This was the first time I had gotten a reaction to a Covid vaccine bother than a bit of tenderness at the injection site. But the reaction only amounted to suddenly noticing that my joints, especially the elbow below the shot felt achy. That started about 36 hours after the shot, just before bed time, and it was gone when I woke up the next morning. No big deal, I treated it with an 8 hour time release Tylenol that is part of my daily meds and slept right through the night.

I enjoy looking for seashells while in Florida but no I’m not going to look for what these guys try to find:
https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/fl...ounds-captured-big-cypress-national-preserve/
intjohnny
I would not want to meet that snake. Living in the southwest all my life I've not had an issue with our local snake population. Most of them I encourage to live and reproduce on my property. This one and I would have troubles immediately and I'd be hunting help to eliminate it.

Veterans Day honors all who serve in the military and protect our country, the men, the women and even the canines of both genders. Of course there are also many civilian employees who are also supporting the military and they too deserve some recognition for their service.

Last edited:
Another shout out to veterans... thank you so much!!!
My grandfather served in WWI, my father served in WWII, my son’s father served in the Vietnam war and was in the military when we married and his father was career military. Two of my brothers did service in the Vietnam war. My third and youngest brother was studying at West Point while the Vietnam war was taking place; then while serving in the army in Germany he met and married a General’s daughter. So of course I pay tribute on Veterans Day to the people who serve because they are not just my countrymen and women, they are also members of my own family.

Last edited:
I very proudly thank my son and grandson and all the others that have served in the military. I think heard a very small percentage of our population joins the military nowadays. We owe those few alot.