24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We kinda enjoy that… wait! We’re boring? Haha!
Not boring. But we never gossip. That's a good thing.

Mostly we are waiting to find rigs, sell houses and meet up in Arizona come January. Lots of waiting and planning.

Tx has some funny .gifs when he is on. That helps.

Well I am
So boring that I was thrilled that I finally noticed that at the end of this rural road not far from the eastbound freeway off ramp there is one of those rows of white security type metal mail boxes for the rural residents. It might not be exciting to others but it will save me a 30 mile round trip into town to ship out Etsy orders. A 5 mile round trip is a whole lot easier on my fuel budget.

A couple of the guys I am camped with love to go out in the truck exploring what’s around the area. Burning fuel while spinning the tires is their favorite boredom relief! They found a ranch near the truck stop that has some water towers and sells filtered well water to other families in the area. It is coin operated and 25 cents buys 3 gallons. No other choice for a smaller quantity. I got the water I was after at the Walmart in town today, it was 36 cents a gallon for fill your own containers.

Cat Woman !?
Cat woman wore body hugging elastic tights. That takes very fine, elastic thread to crochet. Paulette would most certainly look good in that costume.

I would need the heavy yarn "fat cat"
costume.

Weather pattern 10 day forecast is looking pretty much normal for NW Arizona at this time of year. Yesterday was cooler than normal and this morning I woke up just at predawn feeling very chilled and needing to add another layer of blankets. Another two or so weeks at this elevation and then the Lake Havasu City, AZ weather should be comfortably in the mid 80s range for the afternoon high. I am looking forward to some walks along the lake shore.🌴🌴⛵

So I was up at the Catwalk National Recreation Trail in NM today, and on a slightly rough section of the trail (before you get to the actual catwalk) I passed an older couple (probably grandparents) with a small boy, probably about 6. "Move over and give the lady room to pass," the grandparents say to him. So the little kid looks at me and says "would you like me to help you?", takes my elbow and walks me a couple of steps up the path. Awwwwww so sweet! I'm sure the grandparents explained to him afterward "next time, Junior, if the person says 'no thank you' you're supposed to back off", but I thought he was adorable.

Gorgeous drive, on state route 180 north of Silver City. Quite a few RVs. If any of y'all want to take a break from Arizona sometime, it's really pretty up there.

Morgana,
Did you see the extensive article about AI-generated images?
Apparently, AI has a dickens of a time with fingers.
In the article images, some people have six or eight fingers on each hand.
In one hand, six fingers curl around a mug... but no opposable thumb.
An exercise gal has her barbell through her ankle bones... and one hand is completely missing.
Accordingly, I think we can take a breather.
The threat of SkyNet and red-eye terminators is still fairly weak.
LOL like in the old days when the Soviets would try to remove someone from an official photo and leave his foot in.

ended up moving today. Out of the slow simmering temperature and into higher heat mode. Just setting up camp now. I will need to do a full on deployment of shade cloth around my little travel trailer and turn it into what one fellow camper called my Bedouin Tent. Yes, there really is a little trailer under there! Just look for the red roof top popup over all that desert tan camouflage. Actually if I feel too hot I can go into town to the nice air conditioned library, take my laptop along and do some design work or watch a video. The laundromat is also air conditioned!

Got a few more things to do but I will mostly do them at a slow intermittent pace as my back needs a break from all the bending associated with breaking camp, hitching up and drive time followed by leveling and unhitching chores.

It’s 67 degrees and sunny in Bullfrog Utah right now. Got into the low 40’s last night so used the heater to warm up a little this morning!

It’s 67 degrees and sunny in Bullfrog Utah right now. Got into the low 40’s last night so used the heater to warm up a little this morning!
I will need to put away at least one of my 3 blankets for the next 6 to 8 weeks! The sleeping bag is unlikely to be needed until a January, Southern Arizona, cold front out of the Artic region shows up.

IMG_1117.jpeg
In the 90s weather for the afternoon high and full sun too! That means I got a start just before the sun came over the horizon and protected my trailer by going into the Bedouin tent mode. 90% shade cloth on the west at an angle down to the ground. 90% cloth overhead on the East side to create a Patio space. 70% shade cloth as drops on the south side. Someday I will online order some 90% cloth to replace the 70 but at least the 70 lets some breeze through it. So it will do for now as I have other budget priorities. The popup top with its screened openings allows for cross breezes that remove heat build up in the interior. But the best I can do without an AC unit is keep the interior at ambient air temperature.

I have shipping to do today and the library and post office in town are very close to each other. So I plan to spend the mid afternoon in town in air conditioning with my laptop and devices plugged into their power.

Last edited:
A mister fan set on low when you come home directed toward the shade cloth makes a nice cool alcove!

A mister fan set on low when you come home directed toward the shade cloth makes a nice cool alcove!
Not enough solar and battery storage to run that kind of fan after 4 in the late afternoon. Of course I
could run a generator which I am thinking of doing in the evening and early mornings. Too hot at mid day to be running my vinyl cutter and laptop. My misting fan is created by hanging a damp microfiber cloth on the front my fan! It works great!

Nice thing about Lake Havasu City camping. The city had an open to the public Aquatic center. For $5.00 you can shower and use the soaker pool to cool off in. Or swim laps if the pool is not scheduled with other activities. There are some other exercise areas as well. I have not been there yet but with this hot weather a $5 shower will be very nice. When/if I go I will be sure to do so while school is in session as I would not enjoy all the noise of kids at full volume having fun. Watching them at play is fun but earplugs would be required to protect my remaining sanity.

^^^Used to be the state park just south of Lake Havasu City had reduced rates even in full hookup sites and a bathhouse with great hot showers thru the end of December when their busy season starts.

managing OK in the heat today. I remembered my laptop can run in tablet mode which meant I could flip the hinge so all the cooling vent normally underneath are now facing up. That should help out!

Today was not a hot shower kind of day. It was a cold shower kind of day! But as all the water I had on hand was already at 90 degrees this afternoon I did an alcohol rub down bath. It is actually very refreshing and it quickly and easily removes all the salty, sweaty residue and excess oils. Of course it is not something I would do everyday but it sure feels refreshing on a hot day. One more day of 90 + degree weather and it looks to be cooling down into the 80s for at least a little while.