24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is s good sized rock lined fire pit circle near my trailer. I will just set the BBQ inside of it. I am thinking of fabricating a “ smoker hood”
for it if I can find an inexpensive source of metal that is suitable at the Quartzsite Community Thrift store. I do travel with a jigsaw and can make a simple metal bending jig if needed and install hinges, handle, etc. it would be fun to smoke/grill some Turkey breast slices for Thanksgiving week or the week after.

I usually make my own charcoal starter cans as well. Occasionally “Rosie the Riveter” urges rise up out of my past history. The other day driving by the welder’s camp at La Posa South I had the urge to stop just to visit and talk to the tools he has setup out in the yard. Such a handsome, tall and strong bandsaw and drill press 🤣

I was very sad to hear that North country Ben was not traveling with his sweet table-saw along this year.

😂 🦌 Deer obviously does not understand the human concept of “I surrender”…….
Deer is like Dude, that’s just a free sample. I’m not pissed off yet or I would use ma antlers. 😂😂

I am going back to town this morning to the thrift store to see about getting some scrap metal for making a lid for my new folding BBQ and hopefully finding a short sleeved T-shirt or two. Not really feeling like being in “work mode”. But I will get my generator out and set up when I get back to camp. The weather is mostly cloudy for the next few days so I might want to use it to supplement the power.

This afternoon after nap time I will likely walk the short walk to see what Pirate camp plans are for a Turkey day potluck. Those senior citizens over there really do need their naps 🥱

Hello Pirate Camp residents and other nomadic people. I'm wishing you all a Happy Thanksgiving. My plan for Thursday is to go to the community Thanksgiving dinner. I no longer have any family members living in this town, but fortunately it is a town that always provides a gathering for Thanksgiving and Christmas. At least, it always has during the twenty years I've been associated with or living in this town.

I've been blessed with a house! I can't remember if I told you about that before. Construction started in August and I've been told I should be able to move in before Christmas. It is a small two-bedroom house with a porch. The interior was painted yesterday. Next will be flooring, cabinets and countertops. This is definitely a miracle house for me, funded by a grant to give homes back to forest fire survivors. I would not otherwise have it. If I sell the house any time soon the grant money is refunded to the county.

I'm buying a very narrow platform bed to start... just 30" wide, to fit the mattress I used when traveling in the van. I will sleep on that until I get something larger for the house. All my furniture was destroyed in the forest fire, so I'm starting over and it will be a few months before I can furnish it. One small step at a time. When I'm done using that bed in my house I can move it to the van and have a bed out there again.

The trailer will be returned to the Karuk Tribe when I'm done using it.

I hope you're enjoying some lovely winter warmness in Quartzsite. I'm already dealing with some frozen hoses here and just ran out of propane again (for my heater).

The picture is from this morning.

house-11-22-23.jpg

Hello Pirate Camp residents and other nomadic people. I'm wishing you all a Happy Thanksgiving. My plan for Thursday is to go to the community Thanksgiving dinner. I no longer have any family members living in this town, but fortunately it is a town that always provides a gathering for Thanksgiving and Christmas. At least, it always has during the twenty years I've been associated with or living in this town.

I've been blessed with a house! I can't remember if I told you about that before. Construction started in August and I've been told I should be able to move in before Christmas. It is a small two-bedroom house with a porch. The interior was painted yesterday. Next will be flooring, cabinets and countertops. This is definitely a miracle house for me, funded by a grant to give homes back to forest fire survivors. I would not otherwise have it. If I sell the house any time soon the grant money is refunded to the county.

I'm buying a very narrow platform bed to start... just 30" wide, to fit the mattress I used when traveling in the van. I will sleep on that until I get something larger for the house. All my furniture was destroyed in the forest fire, so I'm starting over and it will be a few months before I can furnish it. One small step at a time. When I'm done using that bed in my house I can move it to the van and have a bed out there again.

I hope you're enjoying some lovely winter warmness in Quartzsite. I'm already dealing with some frozen hoses here and just ran out of propane again (for my heater).

View attachment 34578
Looks like things are going well. I think you might be close to me. The pic sure looks like Oregon weather. I think even when we cease our wandering, we can remain nomads. At least in spirit. And I love your Roman Payne quote. :)

A new home almost finished is certainly something to be thankful for. It is so good to see the progress and thank you for posting the photo. Looks like you are going to be needing a comfy reading chair and a swing for that porch.

I'm just south of you in the Klamath River Valley. What area are you in now? I'm about 20 miles south of the Oregon border.
Ahhh...
Right now I'm on the Oregon coast. I just bought a new (to me) van and am outfitting it at my daughter's place. But I'm very familiar with the Klamath area. I went to HS in Tulelake. And I could tell a few harrowing tales about spelunking through the Klamath Lava Bed caves.

The weather is already changing, this weekend the low temp at dawn is dropping into the upper 30s 😢
I guess I had better get a move on and get my diesel stove/heater back up and running. The fix is simple, I think some screws that retaking some of the control
wires might have backed out from the vibrations when towing over rough roads. This time I and going to put some thread locker on those screws. That should solve the issue. Not a difficult fix but rather time consuming as I have to take the stove out of the countertop and turn it upside down I can get access to that area of the wiring.

No Pirate camp Turkey pot luck this year. So I am going non traditional and making a pot of chilli and then using some of it to make cheese enchiladas,
The cats will get half the porch and I'll get the other half. They don't know that yet.
Cats can recognize territorial boundaries? Nah, that will never happen and they are very stealthy as well. Excellent spy masters🙀

Beautiful sunrise this morning at La Posa South LTVA, just enough clouds over the mountains to the East and West to light up the clouds in both directions with that fleeting rosy glow. The dog owners are the only people out and about this morning.

Some Canadians on a Facebook page were asking advice about how to make it feel like Christmas if there is no snow. I thought about telling them to go to Mexico and find out because they certainly do know how to celebrate the season without any snow. I have lived in Alaska and experienced a snowy Christmas many years and it was fun. But I grew up in San Antonio and New Orleans so Thanksgiving and Christmas nostalgia feelings for me are not just tied to it being snowy. But it will never be quite the same without young children around and sharing their excitement in the decorations and the anticipation of presents, cookies, candy and a school holiday break. I was lucky to have a mother who did her best to make sure the Holiday season was fun and festive. It was also filled with holiday music as she was an accomplished pianist, organist and she was in charge of the church choir as well.

View attachment 34578
What a beautiful story. Thankyou for sharing that. Good to hear a good story about our gov't.

In my experience, cats just consider us walking pillows who also provide food and like to muck around in their sandboxes. So, I wouldn't get too possessive on any part of the porch..
She is interacting with feral cats, they are wild animals. They may never be trusting enough to be in direct physical contact with the person who puts food out for them.

Last edited: