24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheer up TA. This is the season to be thankful.

Maki - I have an oven but don't have the tools required to make gingerbread cookies. A power mixer looks to be required as well as a rolling pin, I have neither. It's probably gonna be store bought for me.

Last day to pack here. I have to be at the lawyers office at 9 AM tomorrow and he is 90 miles away. He is making a special trip in just for me. After that I head to my brothers place in Sachse, TX (North Texas). He needs his porch light fixture replaced. It is 20 feet up... I've worked on ladders most of my life so it won't be a problem.

Then I head to my sisters place. She has invited the family for Saturday after Thanksgiving for a family reunion and a Thanksgiving dinner. I hope my nephew brings some stuff, he is in the chef's hall of fame and a world class chef! Glad I packed a pair of fat jeans.

Then westward ho!

It requires a power mixer to make gingerbread cookies? There used to be a time when no one had power mixers and yet they still made cookies and even pie crust.

You don't need a rolling pin, a bottle of Baileys Irish cream can be used as a rolling pin. But removing the label first is a good idea. I know with one of those DIY rolling pin bottles : )

Yep.

Us old timers remember surfing the internet with a Smith Corona typewriter and all we had for light was a whale oil lamp!

Power mixers....hmmmphhh!

:dodgy:

Travelaround, pack up your cargo trailer with your build stuff and head to  Southern Arizona. I will teach you the skills you need for a lot of the work.  Plus there will be strong people with good backs and the needed skills who are willing to do the stuff you can't do for a "suggested donation". There are nearby RV supply stores, hardware stores and solar companies too.

TA, I second Maki2’s request. There are people that will help you make it happen! A lot easier to stay warm... (as I sit by the Priest River in northern Idaho)... haha! Believe me, this visit will be brief! Will be back in the desert in a little over a week! Not liking snow! And of all things I’m delivering a canoe here and a canoe trailer to a friend not to far away and back to the kids I go. Now to deliver a boat at 7:30 am on a Sunday morning. Haha. Brrrr!

Well, someone make and cutout gingerbread cookies and I will bake them. I am lazy and don't want or need to make them bad enough to go through all the manual labor! I grew up with power tools (even in the kitchen). That's one of the reasons I don't bake bread, to much hand kneading.

Maybe Ravella will be there to mix the gingerbread cookies?

"Power mixers....hmmmphhh!"

Remember the egg-beaters we cranked by hand....rather like a whisk on steroids :)

When I was a 12 years old, it was my Saturday job to bake a week's worth of cookies for the four lunch boxes we made up every day.

Even then, I avoided mechanical noise whenever possible. So I used to do the mixing using a wooden spoon, including creaming the butter and sugar. It was my favorite regular chore, by far. Very meditative.

Well jacqueg, sounds like you are volunteering to make the dough!

I use a hand potato masher to make mashed potatoes, does that count?

abnorm said:
^^ You gotta get here first.................

Ravella would probably make some Hi-Fiber SourDough cookies ?
You know me so well, Doug!

Ive lost a whole bunch of weight in the past year and I'm not going back to eating what y'all would consider the "good" stuff. I like being able to get up from a squat with no hands, not taking any 'scripts, and not having a big, permanent food baby in my belly!

Anyone gathering on turkey day? I might be up for it, though all I eat is salad these days.
-crofter

What no more me eating B&Cs great french toast he makes from Ravellas great Sourdough bread that she makes from the great flour Camilla provide? Tell me it ain't so...

I admit that I was thrilled with my place on that particular food chain! I do not often get that lucky at breakfast time. Very special indeed and real maple syrup too.

What is wrong with my head, there is a French Bakery on my way to town and I have not even one time stopped in to xheck it out.? How can than that possibly be? That is crazy, I am going to rectify that tomorrow afternoon on my way to town.

Hello fellow nomads, we got some really good news today. Two of our relief worker, missionaries in Haiti were released. They’re not telling us all the details and even which ones they were. But it’s a sign that things could be getting much better for everyone. I’ve been a volunteer for CAM (Christian aid ministries) at the Lancaster County warehouse, my deacon and his wife spent a year and a half at the same location the group of 17 were. I have a very good friend whose from La Balena Haiti and has been pastoring a large Haitian church in Atlanta. He and his wife just returned to their home to Haiti where they plan to continue to work for Christian aid ministries. This organization is supported and operated by our Amish Mennonite and Brethren congregations from all over the country. And we do wonderful things all over the world with this organization. After the earthquake in Haiti we build hundreds of modest homes for those in need there. We have all sorts of facilities there and distribute food clothing and other necessities to everyone there. To hear two of our people are out is great news. I’m praying that some of the little ones but the mission leaders do not want to release information thinking that the kidnappers might react. And they don’t want the news media running all over the families. But it’s wonderful news that two are out and well and safe; now we have 15 that need to follow. It’s been 35 days since they originally kidnapped them. If you believe in prayer, I’d appreciate if you pray for this situation. God bless the nomads wherever they are.

I am praying for your people, Nature Lover.

Thanks Maki that is a great offer and I might take you up on it. First I would have to extricate myself from this RV park I think. The electricity is being installed on my property - I'm so happy my daughter and son-in-law took care of getting all utilities restored there, cutting down burned trees, etc.

Well, first I must wait and see who wins the house grants. They will choose five people to get houses and if I'm one of them I'm staying here until after it is built... so that might be a while. But out of 200 families, to be one of five to get a grant for a home would be surprising! The grant would be for the building supplies and a church group would supply the labor.