24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gizmotron, yes some of participating in this thread have camped together before including me. A regular gang...

maki2 said:
Gizmotron, yes some of participating in this thread have camped together before including me. A regular gang...

That's great. But have you guys come together to barbecue? To put in together to make like mini food festivals? Maybe street tacos? Camping is fun.

Freelander said:
I just measured it, it is 11X16.

I just found it at a store and they opened up the box so that I could see inside. It measures 11 x 13 for the actual cooking area. Those extra 3 inches are handles on the griddle area. It's cast iron too.

Now for technical advice if you will. Can you use a torch to speed up the starting process and reduce the time on the electric function of starting the pellets? If that is on a set timer then it would not help. But if that is on a thermostat and if you can get at the burn box for the pellets then maybe it is possible. 

Also just getting started with the thing a little earlier is all that is needed.  Just trying to figure cooking strategies out. 

They have the thing on sale for $399. It looks to be about $30 off. Is that good?

Thanks

No you cannot preheat the pellets, it really doesnt take long to heat up. You start at 165 or whatever the preset is and after to starts up you can adjust it to what ever you want to. After your finished go through the shut down process. Its all automatic.

I measured the cooking grate and it measures 11X16.

"curmudgeonly / optimistic, people person that likes company"

You sir, are an oxymoron.

[def: a figure of speech that juxtaposes concepts with opposing meanings within a word or phrase that creates an ostensible self-contradiction.]

Freelander said:
I measured the cooking grate and it measures 11X16.

It sounds great. It's big enough. 11 x 16 is not bad for smoking.  It's not like I'm cooking for an army.  And it doubles for a griddle. That's what I use most of the times.  Plus you can take up the cast iron griddle and clean it like you do cast iron.  All a plus for camping. Thanks for telling me about it. 

I can make it fit but it also weighs in at around 60lbs.

wayne49 said:
"curmudgeonly / optimistic, people person that likes company"

You sir, are an oxymoron.

[def: a figure of speech that juxtaposes concepts with opposing meanings within a word or phrase that creates an ostensible self-contradiction.]

Yep, I know. I spend all day holding back zingers. People don't need to be put through my "internal dialog" LOL. I let go of trying to control the atmosphere and just let people be comfortable expressing themselves. I already know what I know.  What interests me is what other people know. So I listen to them. It's the only way I know how to get information that is unknown. I'm bored with my own information.

Oh, tricky. You use the old shim trick that I never heard of before. What I wanted to ask is do you need a heat barrier under it to protect the table?

5.9% Social Security increase

YAY!!

14.9% Part B Premium increase (to $170.00)

........  :mad:

gizmotron said:
Oh, tricky. You use the old shim trick that I never heard of before.  What I wanted to ask is do you need a heat barrier under it to protect the table?

No it sets up about an 1 1/2 from the table, I use metal tables anyway just to be sure. One thing I did find out is dont use it to close to your RV it will smoke up the side. I move it out a few feet to keep the smoke from coloring the side.

I only use the shims to level the grill plate it doesn't have much of a lip and I don't like the fat to run all to one side. With the rack it doesn't matter.

gizmotron said:
Oh, tricky. You use the old shim trick that I never heard of before.  
That was not sarcasm. I never heard of that trick before.

Freelander said:
 One thing I did find out is dont use it to close to your RV it will smoke up the side. I move it out a few feet to keep the smoke from coloring the side.

Now it's really funny to me. This guy I met had a really nice Class A motorhome that had a slide out tray in the storage area. He was smoking with it almost right up against his rig. He just got it, the smoker. Oh, bummer. Lot's of good advice, thanks.

For sure, every night is party night at La Posa South LTVA. The tribe always has a howling good time after the sun goes down. Sometimes the loud partying goes on until early morning.

maki2 said:
For sure, every night is party night at La Posa South LTVA. The tribe always has a howling good time after the sun goes down. Sometimes the loud partying goes on until early morning.

Really. I was thinking that this is a world of rules obeyed, like every campground membership park that I camped in for the past 20 years. The camping rule etiquette in RV parks is quiet after 10:00pm. Hah! So there is no Ranger Rick stalking the grounds with his Billy Club? Now I know why those people love Quartzite in winter. They thought we were crazy for going to Palm Springs for the winter. All you need is to be self contained. Man, live and learn.

gizmotron said:
That was not sarcasm. I never heard of that trick before.

Yes the shims are about 1" wide and 1 1/14" long, I can stack one or two to make it level.

Gizmo.....The Rangers would consider it to be their sworn duty to protect and serve that particular group of partiers at the BLM sites even if they do keep camperrs awake during quiet hours. You have to stay more alert around YARC folks. We might be tweaking your tail. I was talking about that tribe of "tricksters" that run around in the Southwest playing jokes on people at night including in YARC camp. http://drc.hofstra.edu/projects/lab_feature/the-myth-of-coyote.html