24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was camped in la Posa S LTVA and drove the trails along the mountains to go to RTR.

I was hidden off the left side of the trail a ways back in my old blue jeep truck camper and my spring bar tent, probably the first camp after leaving the LTVA as you entered the special RTR area. My wife is more of a hermit than even I am so we spent most of our time in the Samurai in the back country areas. I did drive in the LTVA some but ended up in the Magic Circle area once and that was enough! LOL!!! You guys were always moving along at a pretty good clip so I never made it out to the main trail in time to catch you going by. I did manage to go meet Mike at his camp and show my appreciation with a mason jar of apple pie Kentucky shine. That old truck needs to be driven so maybe this year I'll get her going and come visit again.

Well hell Bullfrog. You can contact me on here anytime and I’ll find you. I can take you both out to see the desert if you’d like. There are some cool sites out there.

All the caravan and RTR stuff is now run by HOWA. Go to howa.org to get reliable updates. The RTR events are not being held on BLM lands.

Cammalu said:
Well hell Bullfrog. You can contact me on here anytime and I’ll find you. I can take you both out to see the desert if you’d like. There are some cool sites out there.
yes, i really liked this one place you posted pics of and hope i can get to see it in real life...if i ever run into it again and see the name again ;) 
But thanks to you and all the others for getting this HDR get together going. me and him butted heads quite a few times but i grew to value him as a knowledgeable, respected elder. i wish we could come to the service but if we make any big trips next year it will be after we've gone to Glacier NP...

i would love to attend the HDR Memorial......but i feel really bad i didn't make an effort to meet him when he was alive.....so.......i feel REALLY bad about that..... :(

The cell towers are so crowded in Quartszite in January that I am hoping to spend a good portion of that month expolring the BLM lands along the Southern AZ border areas where it will be warmer.

Blustery wind this night, not super high winds but pretty noisy. I pulled my popup roof down to reduce the noise and lower my profile to reduce the movement fromt he gust pushing against my trailer. Looks to be nice weather ahead this coming week but the temperature here in Pahrump NV is beginning to drop into the low 70s for a high. Won't be too much longer before I move south into Arizona. I might make it to Quartzsite for Thanksgiving or I might not. It really depends on the weather. I am not a comfortable camper when it is in the upper 80s for a high.

Sitting in the woods at 32 degrees... yes I’m hunting. But my real motive is just to be out here and rest. Got more then enough to do to get ready to leave Wednesday... but I’ll make it. BTW... a typical year out here it’s in the teens and low twenties in the morning. 32 is even warm for a high... but not terribly unusual either to be this warm. As I look out I think about how the landscape has changed over time. Loggers come through and wipe out old growth and soon your looking at a slashing of new growth. Then watching it thin itself out and those new trees mature. Some of this I’ll miss in the desert... even the peaceful times in the winter as I would hike in my snowshoes and sit and watch the different forms of life go about their business.
All I’ll have to do is see a report now and again of the minus whatever temps and I’ll be able to smile and appreciate where I’m at.
When I do return, I don’t plan on returning to my sticks and bricks. I mean I’ll come back here, but I built it for my kids and others to come and enjoy. In fact there are so many places to explore even here that I’ll probably not be anywhere for to long.
I’ve put in my time and I’m cutting back... easier said then done. But it’s time...
Have a good day everyone and be safe!

Gypsy108 said:
i would love to attend the HDR Memorial......but i feel really bad i didn't make an effort to meet him when he was alive.....so.......i feel REALLY bad about that..... :(

Don’t feel bad! Lots know him just from the forum and that’s fine! Come anyway. I’d really like a decent showing for his mother’s sake who will be there.

One of the last things that I heard from HDR was that he was really worried about how he was going to tell his mom. He said nothing about worrying about his own self. That was typical of Mike. Great guy.

It’s getting closer and closer to the time that we will be rolling. I’m so antsy for it I feel like I need a Valium (is that still a thing even). I can’t stop worrying about the rig and if everything will be up to snuff for the long trip. I have to drive it as John has arm troubles and many areas I’ll be white knuckling it. I think we are about 60 feet long or so with the cargo trailer behind. Im really not fond of this big drive. He will be following in the car and it takes forever for us to get out there.

My niece is having surgery on the 15th and I will stay here as long as necessary to see that she is ok. Otherwise we would already be gone. We got all the Halloween decorations down last week and started putting up the Christmas yesterday and it usually takes a few days. Thankfully there isn’t as much Christmas stuff as Halloween.

With all this holiday decorating on Halloween I have never had one trick or treater. I’m not in a neighborhood so it’s location. I don’t live in the house as I have a pad for the RV so live in that full time and I moved my niece and her hubby into the house years ago. Anyway she told me she had a trick or treater on Halloween night and instead of coming to the door they hid! What the hell!!! She said she had no candy to give. I told her she could have given the kid a dollar or SOMETHING! That so sucks! Next year I guess I’ll be part of the decorations and sit on the porch. I’m old enough at this point in my life that I can blend right in. I’ve done all this extensive decorating to thrill the kiddos and nobody answers the door! Bah humbug!

Gypsyjoker from this forum is here camped out. He comes once a year and will stay a couple of weeks or so. He’s a funny guy and we love having him. The nomads coming thru and staying are a welcome break for me as we still have to be here during the summer months. I hope that will change but we still have things to complete.

We have quite a few coming through and staying a day or two then heading off down the Highway. Next year I’m expecting Ravella to stay with us the WHOLE summer!!! That will be GREAT.

Anyway I thought you all would enjoy this pic of a couple of my guests. This is joker and Georgie

bcff021357ae0f4c6d4fad081b7e5bc9.jpg

Cammalu, wishing you a safe journey west

. Maybe someday you will have a sweet little casita cabin in Kentucky and can leave the big RV in storage in Quartzsite for use in the winter months with an SUV to pull the OHV back and forth between the two places. Or maybe even just fly instead of drive! I am not fond of long drives myself so am just projecting what I would like. A small place in the woods near water in the Pacific NW for summer and early fall and my little trailer in the Southwest for sunny winters and spring. But not in my budget...just a minor, occassional fantasy that passes through my mind. I am actually very happy with the life I now lead.

I have been asking the universe to align my stars to make next summer at Cammalu's happen. I have dreams of getting my hands dirty in her garden and convincing her doggo that I'm her real human, and just kindly loaning her wonderful doggoness to my friend in KY :D

Only a human would think of themselves as dog's real human. Dogs do not think like that. They have packs with a pack leader who is of course a pack member. If the dogs in the pack accept you as a member that is sufficient status. Of course you will have to do your duty and help provide food for the pack. Even the felines in that particular pack do their part in that activity as do the humans.

Salutations and regrets from shemp.i don't agree with the people compared us with dogs.I think we all control our fate and when we fail to accept others situations we fail.

1shemp, we were just joking around. The point was that dogs do not act, react or think like people.

But people and dogs both can have real emotional attachments to each other. For more than a few nomads a dog is truly their best friend and traveling companion. I have had a lot of fun getting to spend time with the pets of various nomads I have met over the last year including Cammalu's dog and cats. Jimindenver's dog Max is also a lot of fun to play with. Looking forward to seeing the animals and their people in just a few more weeks when we rendezvous in Quartzsite.

If you want to know who loves you more your dog or your spouse, simply lock them both in the trunk of your car and drive for 20 miles on a bumpy rocky road. Then open the trunk and see who greets you with a kiss.

nature lover said:
If you want to know who loves you more your dog or your spouse, simply lock them both in the trunk of your car and drive for 20 miles on a bumpy rocky road. Then open the trunk and see who greets you with a kiss.

I already tried that. The dog chewed my wife's face off.

I can't run that experiment, I have none of those essential ingrediants ; )

Right - no dog, no wife... definitely something I don't need to concern myself with. I'm happy I found some of my inks yesterday in the cargo trailer, so I can paint with them. That's the kind of thing that makes me happy. I also like the rain and my walks to the post office in the afternoon.