24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello again - I found out the Karuk Tribe is getting trailers, possibly with FEMA's help to an organization though they aren't giving help to individuals in my area (yet: hope they will later) . . . but the Karuk Tribe trailers are intended for Karuk members and Karuk elders and their employees, first... then others in the community will be considered. I will apply... and the application asks how far from Happy Camp I'm willing to be - I will say 75 miles as that includes Yreka, and I wouldn't mind being here. The reason this is important is because they have a lot more trailers than they have hookups... and hookups are much more available out here. My daughter is looking for a trailer right in Happy Camp as she wants her children in the elementary school there - and she was told she had priority because they want the children back in school. I'm sure the school wants those Average Daily Attendance funds.

Okay, so a pretty good day here. I went shopping early, had maid service for new towels, etc. though she didn't touch my bed (fine with me) ... saw my daughter and transferred some money to her at the bank - it was funds sent from my siblings through my paypal account as neither of my children seem to be savvy on paypal usage.. so, enough for her to get resettled and buy things to replace what she had, and they sent the same to my son but I'm still working on getting that transferred to him. He phoned me today which is always nice. He will be going to live in Reno with friends after his last day of work on October 16.

Got my chromium today - thanks for recommending it. Bought a coffee cup and now I need to buy some tea... well, all things in due time. All in all, a peaceful day. I stopped at the Yreka distribution center to get some things people had donated, and went to talk to a Red Cross counselor about how to proceed from here. She said the hotel room is good until October 6 and they will extend that if I don't already have a place to go to by then.

Back on the move today heading back to Port Townsend  to the Fairgrounds. It will be interesting to see if my cell booster will improve my cell signal enough at that location so that I can get more than a weak 1 bar now and again. Got stuck in an extremely slow traffic crawl on I-5. The exit I needed to take to get to the Ferry was completely  blocked with a dissabled semi pulling a long trailer with components for the Light Rail commuter train system that is going in along I-5. I guess I should have been using Waze or my GPS as theynwould have rerouted me way to the north and the over to alternative streets. Lesson learned, always use some version or another of cell traffic alerts when possible.

The. atmosphere has changed a lot at the Port Townsend Fairground RV camp since I was here a month ago and not for the better.  I will go do some more exploring around and likely head on west in the morning to enjoy the good weather. But first thing I have to do before I leave is take an Etsy store order to the post office. It is going off to the UK. Of course I will also take advantage of the hot shower at the campground before I leave. It has been a while since I got one of those.

I did not set up my Yagi on the mast, got here too late.. But the magnetic antenna on the car that is plugged into the booster is giving me enough help to post this.

Now that I got a lot of downsizing done the trailer pulls a lot better. I seem to have the loads in it balanced just right this time around.

bullfrog said:
Could you not appoint someone or hire an attorney to use the internet to allow you to sign documents. We recently transferred a title through a title company and it was easy as long as you can face time or have good cell phone and internet. I’m in Utah, the buyer was in Arizona and the property was in Kentucky as was the title company. It is amazing what you can do nowadays. To me a hotel room would be a luxury and to many others, especially a free one. Start writing that book so others can learn from your experience, that should help your perspective. If nothing else set some personal goals and keep a good diary. Use you time well.

Notary public in the local area can authenticate the signature. I closed a deal with a notary in Pahrump with the buyer in Michigan. Have the buyer or title company find a local notary.

Qxxx said:
One day the forum is done (this was happening all the time a month or so ago, but had normalized a bit), and the next day, Sofi has been dematerialized once again. Atoms scattered in Wisconsin to remateralize in Arizona.
I just found this ^ ^ ^ and I didn't know that I dematerialized 3 days ago, but now that I know I'm devastated!
Daaaaarn! I so WISH the Arizona part was real!

The forecast was for rain all day right now we have bright sunlight through a haze it’s actually quite warm and humid. Oh well I’m stuck here at this site until Social Security comes.(my grandma used to say till the eagle shits.) Only have a few more days I have to wait till the third then I’ll be able to run around again and get some more work done on the wiring. But I have most of October’s $ spent and I’m working on Novembers now. I’ve never been a good money manager that’s why God never allowed me to have much of it because I don’t manage it well.

Good morning.. my hotel internet isn't working today. Mysteries! Feeling frustrated. If a possible trailer from the tribe involves paying space rent I would not be interested anyway. Would rather travel and land on my own property once it is cleared by the state for human habitation. I feel sorry for those who feel locked into getting a rental of some kind.

Sofisintown said:
I just found this ^  ^  ^ and I didn't know that I dematerialized  
I wrote that in response to all the issues you were having with the forum. Accounts and posts disappearing, and logons being tampered with by unknown cyberspace daemons. I was sending a message to indicate we are watching them, in case you disappear forever. So, try to keep yer atoms together.

Internet is back so I can post more! Today I went to the local RV repair place to get a part replaced on my cargo trailer's awning ... the part holding up the awning on one side was ruined when we pulled it out of the yard during the evacuation, because a bush had grown in front of it. Anyhow, now fixed... and I arranged for some other work to be done... hopefully brakes for the cargo trailer and a shower and fan installation for the van.. possibly more... but great opportunity to get some help doing things that mystify me while I'm here in this town. Would be nice to have walls and a kitchen. Right now the van has only a floor, insulation, and lots of boxes plus my bed is a double-decker cot. Since I won't be spending money on the renovations for the mobile home, might as well use it for making the van more livable as it looks like that's very likely where I'm going to be living for the next year or two, at least.

Qxxx said:
I wrote that in response to all the issues you were having with the forum. Accounts and posts disappearing, and logons being tampered with by unknown cyberspace daemons. I was sending a message to indicate we are watching them, in case you disappear forever. So, try to keep yer atoms together.

Wow, I'm thrilled someone is watching out for me. Thank you Q.

On other unrelated news, I have popcorn ready, and waiting for the 2 old boys to start arguing about
who loves us more.

.... .. ... ..., anyone who wants to leave the east and head to the glorious west is OK in my book. Similar for the PNW. I just finished my own popcorn, small evening meal today. I am currently watching the world news on PBS, but plan to turn the TV off in exactly 10 more minutes, and hear about it later. Choose yer poison, so to speak.

So... got my laundry done... saw my daughter and her family while there. They were just driving by to go shopping nearby. Now a nice long quiet evening to myself... at least that's what I expect. After the sudden evacuation and fire I've learned nothing is for certain - things can change in an instant.

Earlier today I went to the local thrift shop and found some nice hardcover books I'm rather excited about... and a couple jackets, in preparation for winter. So glad I got the cargo trailer's awning fixed, and the guy who fixed it seemed rather enthusiastic about the van and trailer conversion projects. He said I could unhook the trailer and store it in their yard, which would be good for me, though I've gotten used to pulling it in the last 21 days since the fire. I even have some new skills at backing up and today got stuck on a dead end street and managed to turn it around.

Still working on my backing up skills. Backing up my trailer makes me feel like a person who has dyslexia. Had trouble with it today. I will need to get in a lot more practice before it gets absorbed into my neural pathways. Mahybe I should put a cue card on my visor with drawings and arrows. That might be a big help for getting it memorized. Pictures can make a difference in absorbing stuff.

Qxxx said:
...doesn't necessarily tout "huge" returns. That would be fraud...
SS does send out statements with specific amounts payable on specific dates. The make rules changes which invalidate the payment amounts and the payment dates. 

Talk to anyone who has retired early and collected SS age payments, there is a very long list of rules you can unknowingly violate, with consequences. 

At the very minimum, they should be required to publish rules.
-crofter

My day went OK. I went to the  WA State Park Office at Fort Worden and paid a modest fee and got a pass that will let me camp for free after October 1st at WA state parks until April.  But if I want utilities such as electrical hookup it is $10 a day.  of course the catch is there is a fee for making reservations. Also the popular parks are pretty much booked up until late October.  Oh well I will just have to get out the map and do internet research to find places that are not all booked up that are close enogh to a town so I can send out orders on time.

Tomorrow's errand is get new tabs for my car and trailer. The trailer is due in October. The car comes due in January but it is easier to buy them both now while i can do it in person.  I have seen too many postings and some videos where people are out of state and can't get their tabs on time for various reasons.

Got my flu shot yesterday. The pharmacy in the grocery store I went to was not at all busy so I took advantage of that as it is almost October.

crofter said:
SS does send out statements with specific amounts payable on specific dates. The make rules changes which invalidate the payment amounts and the payment dates. 

Talk to anyone who has retired early and collected SS age payments, there is a very long list of rules you can unknowingly violate, with consequences. 

At the very minimum, they should be required to publish rules.
-crofter

The rules are published on the SSA site.
The most important rule that I abide by religiously, is to NOT earn more than $1500 in one month from working.
You have to watch your step there. One extra dollar will cancel your SS payment for that month.

Good point about getting tags for your vehicles! I guess I'll return to Idaho when it is time to renew mine because... if I have no home in California, why not keep my residency in Idaho for DMV etc... I still have a mail forwarding service there too. When the fire happened I was about to switch everything to California. Now I'm thinking - why should I?

maki2 said:
Still working on my backing up skills. Backing up my trailer makes me feel like a person who has dyslexia. Had trouble with it today. I will need to get in a lot more practice before it gets absorbed into my neural pathways. Mahybe I should put a cue card on my visor with drawings and arrows. That might be a big help for getting it memorized. Pictures can make a difference in absorbing stuff.
Make the back of the tow vehicle go in the opposite of the direction you need the trailer to go.
Which means turning the steering wheel in the opposite direction.
In a large open area, start out slowly and use slight movements on the steering wheel to get a feel for it.

Latest posts