24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Conversation starter:
It’s Christmas season and my mind has naturally gravitated towards yummy treats. This week I am looking at No Bake Cookie recipes. I fondly recall the Rum balls I helped my mother make when I was a teen. I am also being tempted by no bake recipes for no bake lemon curd cheesecake bars. Not sure if I will actually get around to making any but “dreams of sugar plums” meaning favorite sweet treats such as hot chocolate drinks and eggnog are pretty normal at this time of year. I make my own custom dry hot cocoa mix, Mexico style with cinnamon and some chipotle chille powder and a little touch of instant coffee, an almost unnoticeable flavor but one which actually enhances all those other flavors.

So what favorite Christmas treats are in your thoughts? What would you like someone to bring to a potluck desert sharing event? Or maybe an appetizer snacks potluck event. Not all potlucks need to be a full meal deal. It could just be a hot apple cider and hot Cocoa with cookies and toasted marshmallows around a campfire gathering.

Last edited:
I don't have any definite plans for Christmas cooking. I'd like to bake cookies - the kind with colorful icing. But time will tell if I get everything I need to make that happen. No-bake cookies sound delicious and practical for vanlife. If I make cookies I'll be taking them to the church Bible study where food is shared. I wouldn't want to keep them all for myself, and my family is all far away now.

I thought those cookies were saying BITE ME. Good to know I was wrong…

I am heading to Walmart today. I will add some cookie making ingredients to my shopping list! Of course I will need extra ingredients as I have to test the recipes at least once before Christmas gets here. I might even need volunteer testers .

Last edited:
If you want to just decorate cookies the refrigerated dough is less mess and just as fun as from scratch cookies. I just finished my first batch of cookies for a girls lunch date with some old (ya me) coworkers we will be feasting on really good chili and my addition chocolate, chocolate chip cookies. I also have made for gifting spiced pear vodka. crock pot fudge. Nobody goes home skinny around me....
I love Christmas cooking.

As a diabetic, I know what the cookies are saying to me.

"You win this battle, but we're playing the long game"

As a diabetic, I know what the cookies are saying to me.

"You win this battle, but we're playing the long game"
we had a kid in our class one year and he was really crazy if he got any sugar. So his mom brought us rice cakes and colored cream cheese (colored with fruit juice coloring, don't even want to know what food dye did to him) to help decorate them We used dried fruit cut into basic shapes and nuts and seeds and I think even some hard cheeses and a few other things I don't remember... We never let little things like dietary restrictions slow us down when it came to playing with our food...

What a lot of creative people you are! I haven't ever used the oven in the trailer I've been in for the last three years. I tried, but couldn't light it. Really, tried only twice, so I could have tried harder. I do love to bake so am looking forward to having an oven to use soon.

Yesterday the cabinets arrived. They didn't bring the countertops so I'm still wondering what they will be like. The cabinets are alder wood, not pecan as I was told before. I do like them - they give the place a backwoods cabin vibe. Today they are installing the floor, which is lighter than the cabinets. Hope they look good together eventually - like maybe when there's furniture in there.

Baking - I like to bake cookies and bread but I need someone else to eat these things. Baking just for myself is dangerous because I will eat everything and gain weight, and I don't need any more weight. I've already got a grandma figure.

cabinets.jpg

I like the look of alder with its color variations. A cabin vibe is perfect for a small house in the woods with a big front porch. It also has enough color variations in it that it will likely compliment your choice of flooring even if it not an exact match in species.

What a lot of creative people you are! I haven't ever used the oven in the trailer I've been in for the last three years. I tried, but couldn't light it. Really, tried only twice, so I could have tried harder. I do love to bake so am looking forward to having an oven to use soon.

Yesterday the cabinets arrived. They didn't bring the countertops so I'm still wondering what they will be like. The cabinets are alder wood, not pecan as I was told before. I do like them - they give the place a backwoods cabin vibe.
Love the cabinets. You will have a beautiful home.