24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a thermal printer in my business setup before I moved to full time in my travel trailer in July, 2020. I liked it very much. But I gave it away as it was not an absolutely essential item. That is still true today, I do not need it because it only has only one single function that my multipurpose inkjet printer can do as well as meeting other needs such as scanning, document printing, printing patterns and templates, printing measured drawings, greeting cards, making signs and even photo printing. I actually need all those functions from a printer and have done all of them while on the road in addition to printing shipping labels. So the choice of what type of printer I need to travel with is very obvious to me even if not to others.

And that is making more use of your space than a single use thermal printer.

I thought you might have had previous experience with label printers. And I'm glad you picked what made the most sense to you.

One reason I offer advice that might be obvious to many here is for the lurkers. Those that read the forum but don't actively participate. They might find this information useful in their situations.

Sometimes I have to remind myself that in this forum, as well as a few others I'm involved with, that there are a lot more people reading than replying. Most of them not being forum members.

my reply to you was done to help other people who read this conversation with learning to analyze things to travel with to always remember to think about the best functional qualities of bringing single use objects along but to also remember that perhaps you can instead choose a multi functioning object that overall because of multi fiction saves more space than a single function object. I have many of those choices among my kitchen items. Among my tools and for business equipment and storage containers as well. I always have that criteria in mind when choosing what to bring along. For instance the built into the counter cooktop in my trailer is not just a cooktop it is also a diesel heater. I chose a trailer with a popup top because it is lighter in weight to tow, it gives me standing headroom. On cold nights I can decrease the space for heating. On hot sunny days I can open the popup, unzip the screened area and it creates a natural thermal draft to quickly remove excess heat buildup so that my interior is never higher than the ambient air temperature. It is also a more secure way on hot nights to have plenty of ventilation with out having low windows and door left open and unlocked. For travel it is a gas saver as my trailer has a lower profile. So that means my popup trailer itself was a multifunctional choice.

I have many more multi function concepts built into my custom trailer interior. Multifunction is how I deliberately trained myself to think and design. It was a choice after I found myself wondering when seeing some things ”how did they ever think to do that?” I knew that person was not a clever genius. Then I realized what it takes is simply practicing visualizing by making an object into something else. Soon I too could do it and once on that road of thinking it got easier and easier to do. Now it comes automatically.

Anyone can train themself to think that way. All it takes is a little bit of practice and it soon becomes a quick access to that brain function ability. Just make it a game you practice. You could call it the “MacGyver Game” after that popular TV show hero who is a master of multifunction. It is a very valuable skill for nomadic dwellers who have limits of both space and budget resources.

Last edited:
You pack a lot of practical value into your vehicle and trailer. That's for sure.

Today... I need to drive downtown to check the mail. I know I have several packages waiting there. I do not like going out. Also... I intend to film a video or two for my Booktube channel on YouTube.
Linda, I have really missed your participation in the thread. I love hearing about projects like a house being built! Of course I also enjoy your gardening, book and film talk and hearing about the town you live in.

Sorry I was gone so long. I still feel a commitment to this message board and like the conversations here. I may have been in a bit of depression these past six months - but things are looking better now. I'd like to think that at least! I also haven't made a lot of videos in the past year. With my daughter leaving town I will need someone to talk to and ... that may be you! I don't participate in any other message boards except for a local Facebook group and occasionally in a few Goodreads groups, to talk about books.

Sorry I was gone so long. I still feel a commitment to this message board and like the conversations here. I may have been in a bit of depression these past six months - but things are looking better now. I'd like to think that at least! I also haven't made a lot of videos in the past year. With my daughter leaving town I will need someone to talk to and ... that may be you! I don't participate in any other message boards except for a local Facebook group and occasionally in a few Goodreads groups, to talk about books.
It is always nice to have someone such as a daughter, son, good friend, neighbor, etc. to talk with. There are some days that just need someone to talk to, to bounce ideas off of or just talk about nothing in particular.

Welcome back travelaround, some of us have missed you! I wonder how the air quality is where you are now? We have seen the reports of all the smoke.

Reporting from Socal. It's wet. It's kinda windy. That's about it.
Same thing in the area nearbFlagstafff, AZ. The largest amount of rainfall will happen tonight. My camp is not going to flood from the storm as the terrain is not of that type.

Still raining off and on with a total overcast and it will stay like that all day. But my house battery was recharged to 100% by 8am this morning so no household power shortage crisis is happening today. No flooding in the local Flagstaff AZ area happened. That heavy rain from the hurricane was on the western edge of Arizona close to California.

Lobster mushroom season in the Coconino and Kaibab National Forest is just a few weeks away.

Last edited:
I wonder how the air quality is where you are now? We have seen the reports of all the smoke.
Definitely smoky here - but I've seen worse. I much prefer the smoke, overcast, occasional rain type days to the 90-105 degree heat we were having for weeks before this happened. The more it rains, the less fire there will be in the forest... just so long as there are no more lightning strikes. So far this year my town has not had any evacuation warnings. Hope it stays that way.

Last week they lifted the campfire restrictions here in the Coconino National Forest. The two previous summers those restrictions were lifted the first week of July but this year there has been a lot less rainfall so also a lot fewer wildfires started by lightning. The campfire bans do not annoy me as I do not build campfires or use charcoal grills anyway. I am sometimes tempted to buy a folding charcoal/wood grill as I like grilling. But it would be just one more item I really do not have the storage space for.

It is a warm sunny morning so I went outside and washed my hair. I was looking down at the ground while rinsing it and spotted several types of small mushrooms had finally appeared in this open cleared area. Time to go for a walk in the forest and see if I can find any Lobster Mushrooms. They are quite large and very tasty and have a very distinctive appearance so easy to tell which ones they are. They are hidden under the fallen pine needles but easy to spot as when getting mature they push the needles up into big humps that cover over them. This area I am camped in has lots of Lobster mushrooms to hunt.

The other folks I am camped with have all gone into town on errands. I will wait and go to town later as I might as well provide a camp security lookout service. Not that there has been an issue here with theft but now and again strangers who camp nearby have walked into our group area where there are some unsecured items like chairs, tables, gas grills, 5 gallon water jugs and dog beds.

Last edited:
Please note I am not in need of any medical advice from forum members. I already have a doctor for that and I am following her instructions.

First time feeling sick in a couple of years. It is either most likely bad sinus infection (dusty roads) or it’s Covid. Hard to know as the symptoms are identical. I will get a fresh set of at home tests kits tomorrow when I go to town to ship out orders. In the meantime I have knocked back the worst of the symptoms with a prescription medication I always have on hand. My doctor’s instructions are to take it right away if I have a respiratory illness episode including Covid. No matter what the cause of this respiratory episode is it will be take at least a week or two to get through it.

Not much else going on as I am doing self isolation and of course not feeling sociable anyway. But thanks to my friend’s Starlink service I have unlimited streaming with lots of choices of things to watch. I will probably be napping a lot as well.

Pretty, partly cloudy morning. If it stays that way I will sit outside for a while when the day warms up. It is still too cold for that this morning. But at 7:50am my house battery has already almost reached full float mode.

Last edited:
Hope you feel better.
A little better, thankfully not any worse this stuff never goes away overnight so Ian not too worried. My group campsite friends check in on me without overdoing it. I do request they stay six feet back. Good thing I did as a sudden sneeze came up this morning as it was time for another dose of my cold type med.

Get well soon maki! I do enjoy your posts here....as long as you feel up to it, we're 'all ears'.....
Slept a lot the last few days feeling a little more energy today.

Kids are back in school and Flagstaff is a university town. No doubt I should have been doing more sanitary hand cleaner and wipes this last month as all kinds of respiratory virus are on the typical fall upsurge now. After all it is my responsibility to take care of myself by practicing those types of simple preventative health measures as I know respiratory virus is risky for me. But I had just allowed myself to drift into a lazy mode.

Last edited: