24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My ex husband did not know about cars or boats either.

I had to rescue him from one unscrupulous boatyard who tried to overcharge him and took months longer than initially stated. He was so frustrated he finally asked me to go along with him to confront the boat yard owner. I handled it very differently than a direct verbal confrontation. As I had experience from aircraft factory job managing a large work group to
make sure everything related to the use of chemicals was EPA and fire safety regulations compliant I kept pointing out all the violations in the boatyard as we walked around it. EPA regulation compliance is especially strict for waterfront businesses. There were open containers of solvents and paints on work benches and discarded open quart size containers of various products just left tossed on the ground around the boats in the repair yard and even on the dock. I offered to come in as a consultant and train his crews on what they needed todo to get in compliance for the EPA and hazardous waste disposal regulations.

When the three of us sat down in the office for a discussion all the excessive towing charges disappeared. That boat was properly repaired and ready to pick up a couple of days later for a minimal cost. No yelling or overt threats were made to achieve the goal of fair treatment. He recieved payment for the repair at a realistic rate. The towing charge was covered by our boat towing policy with no additional fees. My ex quit his two month long whining about the situation that had been driving me crazy to listen to multiple times a day.

If you do not know how to negotiate things such as repairs I suggest you find an out of print copy of “You Can Negotiate Anything” by Herb Cohen. It will serve you well if you learn the strategies he teaches as well as when to use which ones at correct stage of negotiation. Plus of course when to compromise.

Last edited:
Good advice! Never never settle just because you are pressured! If you aren't happy go someplace else. If it stinks like poop and it sounds like poop it probably is...
That said it also isn't necessary to be rude or loud or mean, just not stupid about what ever. We got riped off pretty bad with our first boat.

Unfortunately there is still a lot of not so nice mechanics that take advantage of female car owners in particular .....
It's not just females anymore. Young guys aren't as interested in working on cars as they used to. And each iteration of cars are less fixable than the last. Less things are repairable and more remove and replace.

And it is not going to get any better. More computer integration and control means you not only need mechanical knowledge but computer savvy too. And EVs will probably not fixable by 'shade tree' mechanics.

Ironically, just a few days ago I was at my storage for around 12 hours and left the key on. Ended up right at the deadline to leave before the gate was turned off for the night. And boom, car wouldn't start. Ended up needing to use my gooloo jump starter.

Took all of 90 seconds to find it, pop the hood, take it out and connect, and get the car started. Tossed it in the passenger seat and got out. When I got home I took the 30 seconds to put it back in it's case properly and zip it.

So convenient and definitely necessary when needed. I wish I had thought about the key being on so I wouldn't have had to use it. But that's why it's there. To save me from my mistakes or whatever happens.

This is the exact one I use. I had two and one was in my other car that was stolen. My daughter just bought one as well because mine works so well. For the price it's almost silly not to have one in your vehicle. Or at least something similar that's reliable.

https://a.co/d/0NOYNf7

I got the same thoughts in my head this morning..... Birds are singing, flowers in bloom, butterflies flyn' and dog is out giving the squirrels some exercise. Hubby is sleepin', tea is strong, dishes are done. No rain forecast for at least 3 days.

OK day, bring it on I think I am up to your challenges.

Just read an article that there was an RV fire in Tucson. Anyone know if any of our members involved? Hoping everyone is okay.
The news report said it was a mobile home. Which is not the same thing as an RV.

People writing those news reports might not use the words the same way we do.
Here's one news story that says "RV" in the headline and "mobile home" in the text. And you can't actually see which it is. (It's large, but it does seem like it might have vehicle-y windows.)

Headlines often seem to come unmoored from the stories they're supposed to describe. Back in the old days (you know, when we walked barefoot to school in the snow and all?) it took amazing skill because it was much harder to tweak the type size etc. At least one whole book was written about how to write headlines. (I think I still have my copy somewhere.) Nowadays it's easier but they've fired all the copyeditors so \_(**)_/

Whoever it was, looked like they were living pretty far out of town.

Last edited:
Today's journalism is always small j journalism. Most times without any, let alone proper, editing.

Definetly a mobile home. Here is proof it was not an RV. Not saying you did not see it mentioned as being an RV. Just that it was not one, this photo was taken by the Tucson Fire dept. who gave it to the local news stations to be used in articles. IMG_0984.jpeg

Last edited:
It's not just females anymore. Young guys aren't as interested in working on cars as they used to. And each iteration of cars are less fixable than the last. Less things are repairable and more remove and replace.

And it is not going to get any better. More computer integration and control means you not only need mechanical knowledge but computer savvy too. And EVs will probably not fixable by 'shade tree' mechanics.

In the 90s I used to go to the dealer and have them run a scan to see what was going on when the check engine or whatever light came on, theyd tell me the flux capacitor or retro encabulator was faulty. I often had no idea what it was but Id go buy one, look around, find it, then replace (sometimes Id ask what/where it was). That worked ok then. Today you can get your own diagnostics device that plugs in under the dash and run it through your phone. The diagnostics are much better today than in the 90s.

I used to despise all the computers and electronics, but theyve improved the lifespan and performance of motors and vehicles quite a lot. You just have to move forward and learn more to work on them, but its not that difficult for the most part. Many vehicles will self diagnose if you know how to ask it, and online usually has answers how to do most things.

For many the "Check engine" light is ominous. When it happened with my 4runner a couple years ago, some checking online suggested some things to try, what fixed it was replacing the gas cap, the seal had gone bad.

Today's journalism is always small j journalism. Most times without any, let alone proper, editing.
I blame it on the change from "Get it ready before print run at 4am" to "Push it out in the next 10 seconds before anyone else does!"

The 24-hour news cycle was not the only change or the most important one. Competition from social media, loss of advertising revenue, consolidation into big chains/loss of local control, poor management decisions (including massive layoffs of copyeditors -- hey, if you skimp on QC you're gonna lose the Q, no surprise there) -- all contributed.

If it was just a question of rising to a new skill or speed challenge, it wouldn't have been a big deal, IMO -- that's what skilled professionals with adequate resources do all the time.

Lydia Polgreen's got a great column on this very topic in today's New York Times, unfortunately behind a paywall (unless you've signed up for a free account and haven't used up your quota yet):
Whatever Happened to Free News
She doesn't mention exactly the same factors I just did off the top of my head, and her ideas are better. Worth reading if you can get to it (and worth getting a NYT free account).

A number of years in the bulk food section in a grocery store I saw some dehydrated refried beans. They were pretty good but I never saw them again until I found a big bag of them at the discount grocery tent in Quartzsite. So I bought that bag. They are much better than canned refried beans, have a better texture and certainly weigh a lot less and take up less storage space as well. Some of the sources for them on Amazon call them dehydrated Pinto Bean flakes.

Cooking amounts to pouring some boiling water over them, cover and let stand for 15 minutes. Works for me, I can just add an extra cup of water to my tea kettle when I make coffee in the morning and rehydrate them to use for huevos rancheros or bag them up and toss in the fridge after they cool for use at other meals. Good to keep on hand for making bean dips or burritos to take to potlucks and such.

Last edited:
A number of years in the bulk food section in a grocery store I saw some dehydrated refried beans. They were pretty good but I never saw them again until I found a big bag of them at the discount grocery tent in Quartzsite. So I bought that bag. They are much better than canned refried beans, have a better texture and certainly weigh a lot less and take up less storage space as well. Some of the sources for them on Amazon call them dehydrated Pinto Bean flakes.

Cooking amounts to pouring some boiling water over them, cover and let stand for 15 minutes. Works for me, I can just add an extra cup of water to my tea kettle when I make coffee in the morning and rehydrate them to use for huevos rancheros or bag them up and toss in the fridge after they cool for use at other meals. Good to keep on hand for making bean dips or burritos to take to potlucks and such.
WinCo usually has them in the bulk foods section if that helps… usually in one of the bins near the potato flakes, cheese powder, or various grains…

I will try to remember that if I am ever near a WinCo store and in need of bulk foods. But in the last 3 years I have never been near one as I typically avoid large cities.

Last edited:

Mexicali Rose
"World's Greatest Instant Mexican Homestyle Refried Beans"
"Instant Fiesta in a Bag!"

Distributed by:
Energy Inc.
PO Box 1934
Anthony, New Mexico 88021
575-882-3355

They also make a "black bean" variety as well as "fat free".

Pricey at WalMart: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mexicali...d-s-Greatest-Instant-Home-Style-7-Oz/10536109

Home Page: https://mexicalibeans.com/

Highly recommended!
You'll never eat canned beans again. The taste and texture of these is "almost" home-made IMHO.
Very easy/light to transport (perfect for hiking). If you can boil water and have 5 minutes, you can "cook" these.
Easy-peasy!

Latest posts