24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maki2 Caballo Loco and some Escapees parks have work shops as well that might work for you with proper planning. You might want to check them out sometime if you ever have a building problem you can’t resolve.

Nctry Ben, I don't know if you're at a point where you'd welcome suggestions, or if you've already tried everything and hearing people restate the more obvious advice is just annoying ... so, feel free to ignore this, but --

When I have a super bad headache, I take the max dose of pain pills PLUS a hot washcloth PLUS do slow/deep breathing while listening to Tibetan bells, something like this

I am not big on New Age remedies, but there is something about those bells that works -- at least, if I am doing everything else possible to help it along.

Maybe your job today is to help the helper (aka you).

Feel better!

PS I did not listen to this particular YouTube recording all the way through. The beginning sounded a lot like the MP3 that I have. It should not have any talking or anything, it should be just bells.

Maki2 Caballo Loco and some Escapees parks have work shops as well that might work for you with proper planning. You might want to check them out sometime if you ever have a building problem you can’t resolve.
Thanks for posting the idea. I am well aware of those options but did not need them as I travel with tools.

While I miss having my workshop I am doing fine without one. I am now pretty much done with my build as far as woodworking goes. The little bits of woodwork left, such as permanent counter tops, are something I can make with the tools I will always travel with, which is a jigsaw and a small trim router.

Last edited:
Thanks morgana... I try everything. Sometimes my butt just needs a kicking I guess.
TA... yes on the North Country. I used that since Al invented the internet. Haha. From time to time people call me nice try... 😁
Maki, I may bring lighter. But will likely have similar tools. I plan on building out my trailer I bought this spring. The front section anyways. Windows, and a maxi air. Front counter with sink. Also do some solar. I need to downsize and I’m not sure a smaller truck would handle that campers weight.

Anyways, I’m still hurting, but learned I just can’t throw caution aside and work like I did. Today is a wash for me, but my son is getting quite a bit done. I’m hoping to feel well enough to take them all out to dinner in town tonight. Bitter sweet to see them go tomorrow. I’m going to need some rest.
Granddaughter painted Kira for me on a block of wood. She’s 14.

Attachments

• CC77977F-C4DE-406C-90CE-4B9FE6E593E1.jpeg
    CC77977F-C4DE-406C-90CE-4B9FE6E593E1.jpeg
    144.5 KB · Views: 5
I do not understand why adults can't accept the fact that even an expensive Kodiak tent is no match for the strong winds and torrential rain that can develop from a thunderstorm cell passing through. ...if you do not take the time to put in multiple guy lines and good quality stakes. Plus of course flooding happens if you are in a low spot. That is what is happening to some of the people I am camping near.

Also if you are putting in stakes under trees the soil is unlikely to firmly hold a stake. The leaf litter and needle drop zone under trees decays into very soft topsoil under the tree canopy. Stakes pull right out of any soft soils. Expensive tents or cheap ones the the tent stakes of any type still won't grip firmly into the ground in that kind of terrain.

Last edited:
Son here one more day. No idea how he’ll complete project. I helped more then I should have yesterday. My pain level is off the charts today. I feel like I’m letting him down if I don’t help. So embarrassing when you can’t. So somehow I do... nothing I have touches the pain. What the heck... wish Me luck surviving today. Haha. Literally wake up with tears in my eyes from stupid pain. Insert swear words here!
i don't know if you are in a state that allows medical marijuana or not, but I have terrible pain from a reverse shoulder replacement and the other shoulder is just as bad. I use Mary Jane's cannabis infused salve, 270 mg thc and 90 mg ***. It works fast and lasts 10-12 hours. There are many other cannabis infused salves out there but get one with a higher thc number. I hope you get some help from the pain.

I do not understand why adults can't accept the fact that even an expensive Kodiak tent is no match for the strong winds and torrential rain that can develop from a thunderstorm cell passing through. ...if you do not take the time to put in multiple guy lines and good quality stakes. Plus of course flooding happens if you are in a low spot. That is what is happening to some of the people I am camping near.

Also if you are putting in stakes under trees the soil is unlikely to firmly hold a stake. The leaf litter and needle drop zone under trees decays into very soft topsoil under the tree canopy. Stakes pull right out of any soft soils. Expensive tents or cheap ones the the tent stakes of any type still won't grip firmly into the ground in that kind of terrain.
I recommend folks listen to Maki, she's the voice of experience here. learned the same over 21 years in the Mil. tents do NOT do well in extreme weather conditions (ask me how my military 6 man Hex tent - VERY heavy duty - did in a typhoon in the Philipines a few, uh... OK, MANY years ago 😂
I strongly recommend you pack your stuff up and get it in your vehicle if you're looking at severe weather in a tent.

Cheers!

The reason we built an enclosed cargo trailer to carry our tent and camping equipment so that four 20”x 30” totes could be carried down either side enabling us to use them as bed platforms (80” x 30”) to sleep on with a 14” aisle in bad weather with the trailer loaded. Tents are great most of the time, but the times they aren’t they are really bad as in over 35 mph wind, flooding rains, super cold or super hot temps. The trailer allowed us to cut down expenses on motel rooms and not move as much due to weather. We didn’t have to worry as much about travel through bad weather to get to good weather. As we got older it was just easier to use the trailer as a living space rather than a cargo/ emergency shelter space while primarily living in a tent.

I do not understand why adults can't accept the fact that even an expensive Kodiak tent is no match for the strong winds and torrential rain that can develop from a thunderstorm cell passing through. .... Plus of course flooding happens if you are in a low spot. That is what is happening to some of the people I am camping near.
Ah, memories ... I camped once, on an educational outing, sponsored by a nationally known organization, where the leader said "people who snore, pitch your tents over there" ... "over there" was a dry riverbed, in the desert, not far from the mountains. (Flash flood anyone?) uh, no. who, me? I don't snore.

And another time, with a smaller, more local/regional organization, where our supper entertainment was a park ranger lecturing on bear safety. Then they (the camp leaders, not the ranger) disposed of the supper trash inappropriately (per what we had just learned 10 minutes before). I watched and thought hmmm but said nothing. Woke up in the night to human voices softly saying "shoo -- shoo, bear, shoo." I had pitched my tent a bit off from the others, and they were shooing it straight towards me. (It wandered off before it got there.)

Seems pretty funny now looking back. But you know, even when an "expert" is telling you something, you gotta use your own brain too.

I'm still looking for the
:LOL:

I am sooo curious now, maki2! What do you make with the cardstock? (Sorry, I'd look back on your posts but this is a huge forum!) :)
I have designed a series of very small miniature buildings which I sell as precut kits in sets of 8 buildings. At present there are 47 unique buildings in the series. This is one of those sets of 8.

I do not do any direct sales, all my transactions are handled by a company that is headquartered in Ireland.
Screenshot_20220716-072236.png

Last edited:
And another time, where our supper entertainment was a park ranger lecturing on bear safety. Then they disposed of the supper trash inappropriately.... Woke up in the night to human voices softly saying "shoo -- shoo, bear, shoo." I had pitched my tent a bit off from the others, and they were shooing it straight towards me.

Just softly saying, "Shoo bear, shoo"....and not blood curdling screams? :)

Just softly saying, "Shoo bear, shoo"....and not blood curdling screams?
Well, it wasn't trying to eat them, it was just trying to get into the poorly secured trash. Maybe they didn't want to tick it off? I didn't go over to investigate. At this point I had abandoned any desire to sit at their feet and learn from their woodsmanship ;)

Maki2, it must be funny to watch. I did a lot of back country trips in canoe country. I learned where and how to pitch a tent when I was about twelve. You try to tell people they might want to reconsider where and how they are set up and you get the look... and then after the storm they pack up and leave cause they are embarrassed at their results. Of course, quality of tents and tents made for specific uses are things to consider too. In the Boundary Waters Canoe Area near me there have been some harrowing escapes from down trees and extreme storms a little common sense could have avoided.

Better day today, kids are gone and I rested some. Pain is way down, like about a six. More like I’m used to... sure gets quiet when five kids are no longer here. But plenty of kids at the beach here. I like the sound of kids having fun! 80’s for a few days... muggy too. Good timing on the sealing up the upper ceiling in the loft.

Our family took a vacation way back when... Canadian Rockies... every night we had beats in whatever campgrounds we were at. Must be a thing in Canada 🇨🇦. One evening I was eating my supper kinda on the front seat of our car with door open and feet outside. I heard something on the other side of my open door and there was a bear checking for something in the garbage can. My favorite though was the night we got into camp near Jasper. Right next to the amphitheater thing. While we ate we watched a black bear walk by us and right behind the people watching some kind of a nature film... something on butterflies or something. The people never saw the bear. Haha!

I'm so sorry to hear you're in pain like that Ben. I pray it is resolved. Very sad.

Maki, you do amazing things with even a limited amount of tools. Your creativity fills in the gaps.

Maki2, it must be funny to watch. I did a lot of back country trips in canoe country. I learned where and how to pitch a tent when I was about twelve. You try to tell people they might want to reconsider where and how they are set up and you get the look... and then after the storm they pack up and leave cause they are embarrassed at their results. Of course, quality of tents and tents made for specific uses are things to consider too. In the Boundary Waters Canoe Area near me there have been some harrowing escapes from down trees and extreme storms a little common sense could have avoided.

Better day today, kids are gone and I rested some. Pain is way down, like about a six. More like I’m used to... sure gets quiet when five kids are no longer here. But plenty of kids at the beach here. I like the sound of kids having fun! 80’s for a few days... muggy too. Good timing on the sealing up the upper ceiling in the loft.

Our family took a vacation way back when... Canadian Rockies... every night we had beats in whatever campgrounds we were at. Must be a thing in Canada 🇨🇦. One evening I was eating my supper kinda on the front seat of our car with door open and feet outside. I heard something on the other side of my open door and there was a bear checking for something in the garbage can. My favorite though was the night we got into camp near Jasper. Right next to the amphitheater thing. While we ate we watched a black bear walk by us and right behind the people watching some kind of a nature film... something on butterflies or something. The peope never saw the bear. Haha!
Reminds me of being in Alaska (Way up in the North at Ft Wainwright) with the USAF. We'd go out onto the training ranges to run practice airstrikes out of the base in Fairbanks. We'd literally go "loaded for (Brown) bear" with Solid Slug and OO Buck loaded 12 gauges during their active season (I carried my own .44). In the winter we'd still carry at least 1 shotgun because of that rare "Winter Bear" that wakes from hibernation too early and is ravenous with no food around. Unbelievably dangerous. Only saw one once, it was literally a skeleton but it had caught a deer and never saw something go through a whole animal in such a short time...

Nature. Don't mess with it.

Cheers!

Waking up hungry and grouchy as a bear..I have been known to resemble that creature now and again. This morning I need a jump starter. Might take 2 cups of coffee to get me moving.

I forgot to purchase a couple of fasteners while at the hardware store yesterday so another trip into town this morning is needed. Plus I need a small section of 1/8" birch plywood and a small can of varnish. Doing my laundry as well on this trip will make good use of the fuel I expend.

If the rain holds off this afternoon and I have the energy and will power I will tackle some sorting, downsizing and repacking of my car. Yesterday right when I got back to camp, a gully washer of a thunderstorm cell blew in complete with hail stones. Fortunately it was less than an hour in duration but it took a while longer for the water took absorb into the soil. The governor of Arizona has called out the National Guard to come to Flagstaff and help fill sandbags to distribute to the neighborhoods just to the north of town to help keep the flash flood waters out of people's homes. Those gully washer rainstorms really do exactly what they are named for. Torrential streams of water, mud and debris comes down the gullies in the mountain slopes after everyone of them. I am not camped by the mountains

Last edited:
So I was innocently walking in the park when I was menaced by geese! They sauntered right up and stuck out their necks, menacingly. I don't know if they wanted to bite me or hoped I would feed them. They've never done that before. I stomped my feet at them ineffectually. They soon lost interest.
attack geese.jpg
Then I got home and heard strange bird noises in the trees out front and poked my head out and there were three parrots flying around.
parrots 0717.jpeg
It's been quite the bird day so far.