24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Goldengirl, I really, really wanted to start fixing my own bicycle while I was still at the age of having a training wheel on it. So I got my father and older brother to teach me how. As far as making and assembling things, well I just never quit acquiring new skills and see no reason to stop. That photo was taken at Boeing, circa 1980. Taking on a trailer remodel or a van is not beyond my skill set. I have no intention of ever being without projects and as it is my nature to design and make things I always will as long as I am physically able. Got to go, a friend just walked over and invited me to dinner at his trailer.

Attachments

• mechanic.jpg
    mechanic.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 3
Mention of the Camino brought to mind the El Camino del Diablo, its on my list of things to do. Ive seen trip reports from a world class expedition type vehicle, to jeeps, to dirt bikes, and a mini-van. Probably not a big bike and sidecar type trip, but an SUV should be fine.

@maki2 - interesting, about rabbits, but I've never seen or known of any wild rabbits around here. We just have deer, skunks, raccoons, foxes, bears, and mountain lions... maybe the occasional ringtail cat but I've never seen one of those in a neighborhood - I've seen all the others near my home and even on my front porch (except the bear and deer). We have elk in the forest south of here but not nearby. We don't have wolves or coyotes nearby that I've ever known of.

@G0ldengirl68 - Medford is closer than Redding, but I'm most likely to go to Yreka or Cave Junction. Sometimes to Grants Pass, for shopping. But my favorite is to just stay home. I haven't been out of this valley since last October. There is a gym in town owned by the Native Americans here - which I could go to - but I don't right now, because I'm still recovering from plantar fasciitis and when I walk much, it gets painful again. I stay home except one day a week to get mail and shop, and I'm thinking about cutting back on my activities that day. I really want this plantar fasciitis to go away so I can take walks again. Meanwhile the rest of my health has gone downhill because I can't walk much.

@Sovryn - reading books, no substitute for real life? What??? I'm in trouble then...

@abnorm and Paulette - You two sure do get around - all over the continent. Warmer is better until it is too warm. My experience in an uninsulated van in the September 28 snowstorm in North Idaho really made me not want to van travel in cold weather. Last week we had a heat wave here and now it is cool and windy. I never know what to expect. Thanks for the clue on where to park near Crescent City!

Today I'm just happy to have washed my big blanket. I'm sure this sounds like no big thing to most of you, but I am trying very hard to never again use the decrepit laundromat in town. It hasn't been renovated since I used to work there in 2005.. long story. I rented a corner room for an office for my webdesign/news business. Anyhow, ceiling is nearly falling down now, and walls never painted in 17 years... it is really awful and I don't want to be there.

I bought a small washing machine and it is hooked up next to my trailer now. I hang things to dry inside the trailer - just a few things each day. I've washed almost everything but the blankets but today put one in and then dried it by suspending it from the bedroom ceiling. I will be so happy to have clean bedding tonight. Life's getting better.

I also talked to the grandchildren about the benefits of making sure all trash is picked up constantly in our yard. Major issue here lately! I've had some kind of critter tearing things up - snatching trash bags out of my daughter's yard, making messes, and I try to stay on top of the problem but my feet hurt when I walk on them too much. And my stamina these days ... not so good. Anyhow, I think getting the grandchildren to help pick up is the best solution. My daughter is busy with baby and cooking and cleaning and her husband has been seriously sick for a few weeks, but finally mowed the lawn, front and back, yesterday. Great improvement when your "lawn" actually consists of weeds and wildflowers.

So that's my exciting life in trying to be a land owner. I never owned land or a home until I was 68 years old, just a couple years ago when I bought this... so it is a new experience for me.

If I don't find a way to get a house built here I may be kicked off my own property by the county eventually. They have ordinances controlling people "camping" on their own property after disasters. (!!!??) We have a one-year permit, and might get one extension, and then what, if there's no permanent dwelling (ie: house) on this land? So, I'm here for now, waiting for whatever comes next.

Mention of the Camino brought to mind the El Camino del Diablo, its on my list of things to do. Ive seen trip reports from a world class expedition type vehicle, to jeeps, to dirt bikes, and a mini-van. Probably not a big bike and sidecar type trip, but an SUV should be fine.
I don't know where El Camino del Diablo is. Guess I'll have to look it up. I was just talking to my son about his plan to travel the Tahoe-area Rubicon Trail on an off-road motorcycle soon. He kindly suggested that I not go there to do the same, as if I ever would, even in a jeep.

Travelaround...what are you doing for the plantar fasciitis? Now and again I have had it but get very pro active in resolving it. Mostly two things work, good shoes with inserts for preventing it which means heel cups and good quality walking or running shoes. No cheap shoes from Walmart and such. If you are not wearing shoes with excellent heel stability that could be a major contributing factor. So no wearing cheap sandals, loose fitting shoes, slippers or going barefoot in or around the house until the episode is resolved. Sorry but doing the comfy barefoot or sloppy slippers indoors routine is basically the cause of your pain. I have to wear supportive shoes while walking around indoors most of the day. I always choose shoes with built in stability such as New Balance and then add shoe inserts that cup my heels for even more stability. That prevents these truly painfull episodes. I can't wear sandals in the summer the way I did as a kid. It is a bummer but pain is an even bigger bummer.

The second cause is the muscles that go from the heel up the back of your leg are too tight. So you have to stretch them to lengthen them. Yes you can do it lying down or by holding onto the counter and doing various stretches and standing on the edge of a stair or stack of books and dropping you heels lower than your toes. Be pro active with good shoe support plus exercise and it will be over with in a couple of weeks.

Last edited:
I've only had it two times and it was when my shoes were worn down badly. I learned the real hard way to buy new shoes more often.

Morning @travelaround, I had to read about your foot issue as I wasn't sure what all that entailed. I do a lot of natural, or alternative methods for my health. Some work, some don't, I'm sort of my own guinea pig but I'd rather try things on myself before I give in to some doctor "trying things out on me" ;)

I don't know if links are allowed but you can let me know if you are interested. I'm in no way affiliated with the site, just share the info with friends that might want to read, sound like you enjoy reading although I only read there if I have a health issue, which, I usually have something going on these days ;) It's called Earth Clinic, and a lot of people list what they've tried that worked for them. Hell of a hard place to navigate but I can help if you need it. It's a .com and you would just search the a-z for the Plantar Fascitas, there's quite a chunk of info on it ;)

Nice to own a piece of property, but I do know all that involves. I'll be hoping the very best for you and family TA, Denise

Last edited:
Travelaround...what are you doing for the plantar fasciitis? Now and again I have had it but get very pro active in resolving it. Mostly two things work, good shoes with inserts for preventing it which means heel cups and good quality walking or running shoes. No cheap shoes from Walmart and such. If you are not wearing shoes with excellent heel stability that could be a major contributing factor. So no wearing cheap sandals, loose fitting shoes, slippers or going barefoot in or around the house until the episode is resolved. Sorry but doing the comfy barefoot or sloppy slippers indoors routine is basically the cause of your pain. I have to wear supportive shoes while walking around indoors most of the day. I always choose shoes with built in stability such as New Balance and then add shoe inserts that cup my heels for even more stability. That prevents these truly painfull episodes. I can't wear sandals in the summer the way I did as a kid. It is a bummer but pain is an even bigger bummer.

The second cause is the muscles that go from the heel up the back of your leg are too tight. So you have to stretch them to lengthen them. Yes you can do it lying down or by holding onto the counter and doing various stretches and standing on the edge of a stair or stack of books and dropping you heels lower than your toes. Be pro active with good shoe support plus exercise and it will be over with in a couple of weeks.
Even here in CA I can still get a good price on New Balance (I see you go for those as well) at our Big 5, usually. The last time I was due for new, they only had my size in the Saucony's so I got those. They are doing good for me too ;)

I like my Tennies in Summer way more than sandals as well. I don't do any of the "cruel shoes" like when I was young. Can't believe I ever wore the high-heels
😬

Birkenstocks allowed me to walk out of the store after stretching and medication wasn’t working. Now I’m able to go back to my old boots with inserts and stretching. You can buy cheap over size shoes and fit the right size Birkenstock insert in them which is much less at around a tenth the cost of the Birkenstock shoes or a third the cost of the sandals. The sandals worked great for me at around a hundred bucks and came with a lifetime guarantee.

I don't know where El Camino del Diablo is. Guess I'll have to look it up. I was just talking to my son about his plan to travel the Tahoe-area Rubicon Trail on an off-road motorcycle soon. He kindly suggested that I not go there to do the same, as if I ever would, even in a jeep.

This was the first thing i saw on it several years ago,

https://www.turtleexpedition.com/adventures/north-america/camino-del-diablo-az/
It piqued my interest, for both the adventure aspect as well as the history. I found other trip reports, most in jeeps I believe, but also other vehicles, its not really mandatory to have an expedition grade vehicle to do it. Seems like a good winter fun adventure. I think a basic 4runner should be OK on it since one couple did it in their mini-van.

These guys did it on motorcycles with sidecars

https://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20965

Here’s a guy thing... I was mowing at the community center which I soon will retire from doing... haha. And going under a tree which they keep Christmas lights on all year because it’s a lot of work to take off and put back on... well a strand was hanging low and I thought just clipped my hat. Went back for my hat and realized I can’t see to good. It had got my glasses too. All I ever found was two little pieces of lens and a small piece of the frame. Guess I’ll have new ones soon. Can’t even order them til Tuesday! I can barely see good enough to type this. Haha!
But I saved my hat! Haha!

Birkenstocks allowed me to walk out of the store after stretching and medication wasn’t working. Now I’m able to go back to my old boots with inserts and stretching. You can buy cheap over size shoes and fit the right size Birkenstock insert in them which is much less at around a tenth the cost of the Birkenstock shoes or a third the cost of the sandals. The sandals worked great for me at around a hundred bucks and came with a lifetime guarantee.
This is good info Bullfrog, that's one shoe/brand I have never tried before. My feet are ok at this point, and my tennies are working well for me but I'll remember this one should I ever need to change up ;)

Been trying to rescue my Gaming PC for going on 4 days now. Never "was not able" to revive any of the computers I've owned, and only had to replace one hard-drive in all that time. I've been getting excellent support from a geek-buddy on a forum but we are down to the last try to reinstall a fresh copy of Windows to the puter. I'm keeping my fingers crossed but it's hard to type that way 😁

I've got my backup laptop I got a couple months ago thank goodness.

Here’s a guy thing... I was mowing at the community center which I soon will retire from doing... haha. And going under a tree which they keep Christmas lights on all year because it’s a lot of work to take off and put back on... well a strand was hanging low and I thought just clipped my hat. Went back for my hat and realized I can’t see to good. It had got my glasses too. All I ever found was two little pieces of lens and a small piece of the frame. Guess I’ll have new ones soon. Can’t even order them til Tuesday! I can barely see good enough to type this. Haha!
But I saved my hat! Haha!
gee wiz, you could have been be-headed!! 😬