24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still in my apartment dreaming, but not standing still. I go to the gym almost every day, usually take weekends off except for bike-rides or just walks. Haven't been around because I felt I was just hoping for something that couldn't be for me, but decided to get ready should the opportunity come up.

I am saving dough each month, and have 2 bills I need to finish paying off. I've built my credit score, which everyone knows doesn't do me much good without an adequate income. The dream is to have a good down-payment for a Van that is ready to live in. If that doesn't happen, I'll have 6000 by end of year to buy something suitable if I can find it (I know my needs now).

As you all know, the other thing will be the price of gasoline. I can pray and hope that changes for the better for all who love living "out there". Even driving around this small town burns it up fast, so, the bicycle ;)

I saw the yack about the winds which was an interesting read. I thought it only blew like hell here on the coast. I was getting frustrated when I first got my bicycle as going south around here was fine, fighting the NNW winds coming home was, well, I guess adding to my strength/endurance training. It's died down in the last week with perfect temps in the 70s. I'm also glad to see that the forum is keepin on since it was sold.

I finally gave into a CT Scan for tomorrow as none of the doctors (neuro, cardio, MD) knew for sure what happened last Aug. 2nd, and wanted me to do another scan since I had one when that happened. I don't like those things because of what I read about them and the damage they can do, but my Neuro says it would be good to find out if it was a stroke. Says a CT scan will show scar tissue if it was. So I'll do it.

I do hope all of you are well, and taking as good a care of yourselves as possible, Denise, Crescent City CA

Apparently I made a complete idiot out of myself because the font on my telephone is too small.

🤣

I mistook a support-only apple thread for a whine and cheez party and was actually singing with the choir

New phone time for me, but I'm an Android Gal, so I have to have it shipped to my friend, who is like God with Android, and then not touch anything at all when it gets here.

But what can you do?

Many apologies and enjoy the internet.

@Ravella re: Camino de Santiago - I hope this happens and I want to hear all about it if it does. I would do that, if I were healthier.

@Goldengirl... I am SO VERY HAPPY to see you posting again here!!! So cool you have a gym to go to there! I used to do that in North Idaho, and I miss it. I'm in the same situation financially - a great credit score but income so low I don't dare charge anything I can't pay for that month. I joined Anytime Fitness while I was in Idaho, but never did figure out how to take a shower in only five minutes. I loved going there to walk on the treadmills.

Life in Happy Camp goes on. Last night something entered my tiny side-yard and snatched one of my tomato plants, so now I have 5 plants instead of 6 and am still wondering what did that. A deer? Today I blockaded the only open entrance ... not very well, but it is a start. I wonder what else I'll have to do to keep my tiny "garden" safe. I planted in cardboard boxes as that's all I had - can't wait to see how long they will last. So far, it is going well. I live in the absolute outback boonies so it is not easy to go get proper planters - there's no store selling them anywhere within about 45 miles, or maybe 70 miles. And with gas prices, I think I'll just stay home a lot.

Today my grandson came to my door to say the kittens got out of the bus and he needed help devising a way to keep them safe and control them until his parents got home. It is great to be able to feel useful to someone else, for a change. Usually I'm by myself... like 95 percent of the time. (That's by choice though, as I'm a loner.)

Apparently I made a complete idiot out of myself because the font on my telephone is too small.

🤣

I mistook a support-only apple thread for a whine and cheez party and was actually singing with the choir

New phone time for me, but I'm an Android Gal, so I have to have it shipped to my friend, who is like God with Android, and then not touch anything at all when it gets here.

But what can you do?

Many apologies and enjoy the internet.
I've been with android too long evidently because the iphones my friends have just confuse me and I am so easily confused in these "senior" years ;)

@Ravella re: Camino de Santiago - I hope this happens and I want to hear all about it if it does. I would do that, if I were healthier.

@Goldengirl... I am SO VERY HAPPY to see you posting again here!!! So cool you have a gym to go to there! I used to do that in North Idaho, and I miss it. I'm in the same situation financially - a great credit score but income so low I don't dare charge anything I can't pay for that month. I joined Anytime Fitness while I was in Idaho, but never did figure out how to take a shower in only five minutes. I loved going there to walk on the treadmills.

Life in Happy Camp goes on. Last night something entered my tiny side-yard and snatched one of my tomato plants, so now I have 5 plants instead of 6 and am still wondering what did that. A deer? Today I blockaded the only open entrance ... not very well, but it is a start. I wonder what else I'll have to do to keep my tiny "garden" safe. I planted in cardboard boxes as that's all I had - can't wait to see how long they will last. So far, it is going well. I live in the absolute outback boonies so it is not easy to go get proper planters - there's no store selling them anywhere within about 45 miles, or maybe 70 miles. And with gas prices, I think I'll just stay home a lot.

Today my grandson came to my door to say the kittens got out of the bus and he needed help devising a way to keep them safe and control them until his parents got home. It is great to be able to feel useful to someone else, for a change. Usually I'm by myself... like 95 percent of the time. (That's by choice though, as I'm a loner.)
have a doc appt this a.m. but I want to get back here and reply to your reply travelaround :) It was nice to see this a.m. and I missed being around here even though I can't get "out there" myself. I think your little niche in Happy Camp sounds wonderful! I'm very much a loner and like my space. I'm really boxed in here but I do have a small apt. that is cozy enough, but zero place for my own, little garden.

More later! Denise

Life in Happy Camp goes on. Last night something entered my tiny side-yard and snatched one of my tomato plants, so now I have 5 plants instead of 6 and am still wondering what did that. A deer? Today I blockaded the only open entrance ... not very well, but it is a start. I wonder what else I'll have to do to keep my tiny "garden" safe. I planted in cardboard boxes as that's all I had - can't wait to see how long they will last.
IME, the only way is to build big cages. For structure, use 2x2s. For covering, chicken wire.

If I still had a garden - which is the only thing I really miss about s&b living - I'd be making or buying cloth bags. Or you could surround the cardboard boxes with hay/straw bales.

@Goldengirl - nice to see your photo!!
@Sovryn - I'm on android too. Never tried mac-anything. PC all the way. The less confusion the better!!
@Maki - Where are you? Did you move again?
@abnorm - heading up the coast?
@jacqueg - I like the cloth bag idea.. will look for some. I have some wood (that was supposed to be part of the van build that didn't happen yet) so if I got some wire I could rig something up. Deer... that's my guess. Can't think of anything else around here that would be interested in eating a tomato plant. Skunks? Raccoons? Foxes? Cats? Dogs? - I'm really perplexed about how a deer could wander into this little alcove I call my "front yard" ... my son thought it was a neighbor's kid thinking he was stealing a marijuana plant. LOL

I also have the Camino on my list of things I would like to do. Hope you get to go and that it is a wonderful experience for you. I have a friend who went, walked the whole thing and then to the ocean as well, and said it was transformative in an amazing and very positive way.

@abnorm - heading up the coast?
Called out.........Now JackieG continued North......She hangs near the Columbia River

TOO COLD for us !......Paulette asked for warmer so we've moved toward Klamath Falls.....in the Forest on 140

Lake-O-The-Woods area........we are comfortable here at what's affectionately known as "BoozeyBearFlats"

And WOW.....we stayed at RubyVanDeventer county park in Crescent City.........REDWOODS right next to the van
No discounts.....$20 + Jackie's extra van $5 made it affordable......right on the Smith River....wished it was warmer !

Last edited:
That's the thing about the coast, we get a lot of sunny days but the wind usually keeps temps too cool for my tastes. I love the area you're in now @abnorm. Grew up camping on the Rogue, and the Umpqua, my two fave Summer-time destinations. Especially loved a campground called Farewell Bend. Happy memories from the 50s and 60s ;)

^The Snake's a long ways away but we'll keep it in mind.........it's dry here but the resort has a cheap day-use lake ...........this year I bought two "float" inner tubes........."Be Prepared"

I went 7 days in a row to start as I wanted to be sure I was going to stick with it. I got hooked, but now I take weekends off, or at least a day. Working upper or lower body every other day. Yes, same boat on the credit score.
You are way up there aren't you. Is Redding closest larger city? Hope you can figure a way to fend off the tomat'er bandits!
I know what you mean about feeling useful ;) Nice to have family around and most of the gals I know have family. While I was still rippin and runnin my bestest buddies were getting married and having babies. Now they have grown kids and grand-kids, and, great grand-kids :)

Most likely candidate for tomato thieving is rabbits. You can order rolls of rabbit fencing and poles delivered to Happy Camp. If it was a deer you would have lost all the plants.

Reminds me of Phenomenon, a movie where the guy knows it's rabbits, so he builds a fence and still, the little bandit (s) continue to munch. He finally realizes the rabbit was already in the garden when he put the fence up! :geek:

Reminds me of Phenomenon, a movie where the guy knows it's rabbits, so he builds a fence and still, the little bandit (s) continue to munch. He finally realizes the rabbit was already in the garden when he put the fence up! :geek:

I'm definitely downloading that, lol. I'm traveling with a bunny and I've never had a bunny before in my life!

She's a character. I wouldn't be surprised at all if one of her cousins was the culprit, but reading books is no substitute for living life.

Great to see you around, Denise. I was going to delete my account, so I stopped at a Starbucks in Fort Bragg.

But it will be so much easier when I get my Samsung that I think I'll wait.

I get mean when they change the rules on me. Guess I'm the proverbial outlaw with a heart of gold that hates the entire human race EXCEPT for the specific individual I interested in at the moment.

Makes an amusing short story/YouTube video/postcard, but not a very fun life, 😂.

I'd rather just listen. Off to watch the surfers surf now. Take care.

Ah the frustrations of doing a totally new interior in a 50 year old, fiberglass travel trailer. Over the years the roof has complied with the law of gravity. The popup top on my trailer is a major influence in creating sags that are not even from front to back. I am adding a 4 foot long by 7.5 inch deep pantry cabinet by approx 24 inches high. It will rest on the countertop. The countertop is level to the floor. The upper outside wall that forms the long sides of the trailer is at a 6 degree slope. Gravity has caused the ceiling at the forward end of the counter to be nearly an inch closer to the counter top compared to the rear which is the rear wall of the trailer. The ceiling was created with a slope from the center line to the outside edge and that outside edge was made with a large radius.

Pattern piece for the upright panels is now made so it is time for a trip to the Home Depot for a 2'x4' plywood panel to cut those end and center upright cabinet pieces from. But that is just the start. Lots of blocking to cut, plus shelves and the face frame. It is going to have sliding doors but those will have to wait a few weeks for the next dispersed camping session near a Home Depot and Amazon Hub Counter. I want to order in the plastic track for the doors to slide in. Using sliding doors means I can open the cabinet while I have things sitting on the counter.

Last edited:
I'm definitely downloading that, lol. I'm traveling with a bunny and I've never had a bunny before in my life!

She's a character. I wouldn't be surprised at all if one of her cousins was the culprit, but reading books is no substitute for living life.

Great to see you around, Denise. I was going to delete my account, so I stopped at a Starbucks in Fort Bragg.

But it will be so much easier when I get my Samsung that I think I'll wait.

I get mean when they change the rules on me. Guess I'm the proverbial outlaw with a heart of gold that hates the entire human race EXCEPT for the specific individual I interested in at the moment.

Makes an amusing short story/YouTube video/postcard, but not a very fun life, 😂.

I'd rather just listen. Off to watch the surfers surf now. Take care.
I relate to much of what you said. I love to help people but yet I'm so hesitant to get "thick" with anyone anymore. I don't know what it's like living out there, but I would bet many feel the same way. As they say in all the British show I love to watch, "they keep themselves to themselves". I am most lonely for intelligent conversation. I should say conversations with folks that are good communicators. Seems everyone around me, at least my age anyway, can talk your ear off but they haven't much for listening skills.

I'm a good listener, and there is a time and place for that yes. Like a lady here just lost her husband. She's in her late 80s, they were together 30 years. I can't begin to imagine what that would be like. I've been alone so long that I have a fear of whether or not I could ever truly share my life again. 24-25 years is a long time to live alone, and also do most activities alone because if I waited for someone that wanted to go with me, I'd never do anything ;)

Well I certainly went on a "talking bender"

PS Your bunny sounds precious, and I have a teenie dog so I'm not totally alone ;)

Ah the frustrations of doing a totally new interior in a 50 year old, fiberglass travel trailer. Over the years the roof has complied with the law of gravity. The popup top on my trailer is a major influence in creating sags that are not even from front to back. I am adding a 4 foot long by 7.5 inch deep pantry cabinet by approx 24 inches high. It will rest on the countertop. The countertop is level to the floor. The upper outside wall that forms the long sides of the trailer is at a 6 degree slope. Gravity has caused the ceiling at the forward end of the counter to be nearly an inch closer to the counter top compared to the rear which is the rear wall of the trailer. The ceiling was created with a slope from the center line to the outside edge and that outside edge was made with a large radius.

Pattern piece for the upright panels is now made so it is time for a trip to the Home Depot for a 2'x4' plywood panel to cut those end and center upright cabinet pieces from. But that is just the start. Lots of blocking to cut, plus shelves and the face frame. It is going to have sliding doors but those will have to wait a few weeks for the next dispersed camping session near a Home Depot and Amazon Hub Counter. I want to order in the plastic track for the doors to slide in. Using sliding doors means I can open the cabinet while I have things sitting on the counter.
Sounds like a lot of work but I realize it's got to be so rewarding to be able to do that kind of thing Maki. I admire that, and have learned to do a lot of things just around home, and it's true that necessity is the mother of invention ;) One thing I've learned is that if I, for example, put my own bicycle together, I get to see and learn how it all works, and, how to get in and fix it myself if need be :)

I think I miss struggling, for me life can be just too easy at times and I'm always happier if I'm on some sort of project.

Reactions: Sky