2017 RTR in Quartzsite

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
vtwinkicker said:
Hey All,
I made the summer RTR and hope to make the long drive for the winter one. How many of us from the east coast are heading out and when are you getting on the road? I'm thinking right after New Year is when I'll hit the road. Maybe a loose knit caravan can be formed?
Greg0p

Hoping we can go the first of January.
Does anyone know about the roads? Are they usually passable, etc?
Hubby and I worry about these things, and if there is a lot of snow, ice, winter weather that stops the flow of traffic we don't usually travel.
I figured that if we leave WV on Jan. 1st, or there abouts, then we could take our time, check out different sites along the way, and be there with time to spare for the first day, Jan. 10.
May check into your "loose knit caravan." But closer to the leaving time.

Just stay as far south as you can. That'd be I-10, if your traveling the interstates. And watch the weather and be prepared (food and propane) to sit out a storm if it comes to hat. I-10 even gets hit by a rare winter storm, on occasion.

Thanks Cyndi, some good information to listen to, I am sure.
Have never traveled farther west than Ohio, so..... we are truly newbies when it comes to getting out of WV.
We always go prepared, no matter where or when, we are stocked up with Mountain House meals, water, the essentials.
Thanks for the heads up about the rare storms, we will do the weather watching for sure. lol

Depending on what part of WV you're at, east part, run 81 down to Knoxville, take 40 west to Little Rock Ar and pick up I-30 there, 30 dead ends in Dallas, take 20 west out of Dallas and it will dead end into I-10 around Kent Texas, a mere 400 miles or so. Coming from the west side of West by god Virginia just work your way to I-40 and follow it to 30 and still come across I-20. Bring a book or something because after leaving Ft Worth there is not one damn thing to see except for an occasional oil well. Plenty of places to fuel

Just remember Texas only has one salt truck and it's in Amarillo (just kidding, sort of) in bad weather there are plenty of pull offs to wait it out.

Once you get below I-40 weather is much less of a concern. And the speed limit is 80 in some places so just Hammer Down and go.

Rob

Gunny! Nothing to see? You forgot about the windmill west of Big Spring....didn'tcha? Hard to see it but there is also the smell of money coming into Midland. Just fills the air with the sweet odor. :)

I forgot about that.... And there's really good chicken fried steak in Strawn but a mile or so out of the way.

If you want to hook up with others on the way to the RTR, why not put a bumper sticker or something on the back bumper (decent size) that just says RTR? You might end up with some people in the loose caravan who think it means 'Ready to Rumble' or 'Raise the Roof', but you'll probably lose them eventually.

You can get blank bumper stickers (Amazon, for one) and some 4" stick-on letters, or just write on it with a crayon.

Wish I could be there, but my current rig probably wouldn't make it to the state line.

Hmmm, I already wrote CRVL in the dirt on the back of my camper shell LOL

From some of the loaded van campers I've seen here heading south, it might be safer to leave the "or Bust" out of the conversation.

We don't want to attract Fate's attention, or anything like that.

I took this picture as Dave was leaving

dave RTR 2016.jpg

Attachments

• dave RTR 2016.jpg
    dave RTR 2016.jpg
    483.8 KB
I was thinking about attending the RTR this year as I enjoyed my time there last year. However it looks like another cold winter in the West, so I may stay in the Gulf/Caribbean area.

ldmccain said:
Just as soon as my Drivers License arrives I will be headed that way.    
5 weeks and 1 day waiting so far..

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Hi Larry, 

My first time reading and using posts. Found you! Ran into Lisa( hi Lisa) and she told me of your great adventure on Monday. Please take pictures to share and come see me.

Tiki

ArtW said:
Hmmm, I already wrote CRVL in the dirt on the back of my camper shell LOL

;)   I will be on the lookout for this on all the vehicles we pass and follow.  LOL So that being said, I do think the sticker idea is a good one, may have to check into that suggestion, to put one in our vehicles. 
Great idea!!!!!!!!!

Sharon

From Jacksonville to Quartzsite along I-10 is 2170 miles.  If you go to Brownsville, then up the TX/MX border & on to Quartzsite it's 2587 miles. That's about as far away from the winter weather as you're going to get.

I'll bet it's not a bad drive either....

Gunny said:
I plan on coming to meet a few people and say "Hello" but will park away from the crowd as I use my generator a lot. The loose dogs does worry me as I have a cat that is on a ten foot lead and secure holster type restraint. I can envision way too many hurt or hard feelings if someone's animal were to be hurt.

I had considered offering some instruction the care and cleaning of weapons as well as basic self defense using different weapons. Anything I would try and show people would not necessarily apply to your specific laws in different states, there are too many  and I don't want to steer anyone wrong.

If interested let me know , Rob

I am interested, Gunny.  Thanks .

I am hoping that things continue to fall into place and I will be able to make it to the RTR for my very first time.
I SHOULD be picking up my new cargo trailer (Haulmark 6x12) in Waco around mid-december...
I plan to visit my sister in New Braunfels for a few days, and then start heading west toward Ehrenburg.

re: Dogs. Mine are sweetie pies, but I have always leashed them around others that even MIGHT feel uncomfortable. They've always done well in off-leash dog parks around here. But I consider it just courtesy to not make other dog (or cat, ferret, hippo ) owners feel concerned.
Taz will probably find any shade he can and just lay there and pant! :)

Let the games (and learning/fellowship ) begin!

Pat

Hubby and I are planning on being there!
We spent the last few days on BLM land outside Saguaro NP and will slowly make our way up to Quartzsite via Southern AZ in early January.
From what has been said in the thread (finally read all 24 pages) getting a permit will be no issue. I understand the hosts are at the LTVAs, 
but the rangers may be making their way to the location where the RTR is?

We'll be in a 32ft class A and this is our first RTR.
Hubby has been living in a RV he built himself (19ft) for the last plus 9 years and I just started full timing this fall.
We are excited to to meet like minded people.

becida said:
From Jacksonville to Quartzsite along I-10 is 2170 miles.  If you go to Brownsville, then up the TX/MX border & on to Quartzsite it's 2587 miles. That's about as far away from the winter weather as you're going to get.

I'll bet it's not a bad drive either....

Heck, that sounds like a cool drive from Garwood, too, if i had the time