1994 ford econoline van better mpg change

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aqua

Reaction score
Hi, free drifters
Haven't introduce myself  from Honolulu , experience 10+years.
been reading and I see ford  ( mine 1994   econoline conversion high top)  van  has a reputation as a gas eater from different owner.
 there  arent wrong, the 351  4 speed over drive has a lot of power but it's also thirsty, 
I came from a Honda civic hybrid ,  so I've been trying my tricks to get better mpg. And  I've found something that does work and I would like to share it.

First I don't fill that tank its too large, but 1 can Judge   By my usual 20 dollar gas  and fuel prices how many days to empty, it's   roughly   11-12  mpg  city not over 50 mph.  About 1-2 mpg short.  Seem to be running tad rich 

This was after  taking out the ac and etc, fender and running board, cupboards ,  seats, bracket, trailer hitch , about 350 weight saving.

Iam very happy with my gas mileage  now,  needle seem to stay in one place after a drive,  and not afraid to idle the engine anymore , we had about 20 cents a gallon added to what I was comparing to , here in Honolulu  regular  is 337 now  so it's seem amazing.

I change the throttle positioner, nope, web info.
Well what made a 1-2 mpg  different  your not going to believe this, because there no true explanation, 
 I was smelling gas by my driver door, and the evaporating canister is mounted right there. Logic say its  charcoal full.  So I change it, about 70-80 buck eBay . And surprise , not expecting this new returned to stock or better gas mileage.

Because the canister is just to filter the extra vapor, I goggle around and think this is the best explanation .   

Rats can't copy. In short the evap valve stuck open cause vacuume  leak so it's lean  out so the ecu go into  safe mode, that is to over rice the mixture.

Something along this line as, as I didn't  change my evap valve  yet. But only my evap cansister  because its smelt  baby of gas fumes. And got better mpg. I did change my Honda evap valve and no change , but nobody change the evap canister because is just a side stand along vapor catcher. 

There is a fast test, but iam not saying, as other would say that not good to do.
 Just wanted to share  what works,  and a tune up and throttle positioner didn't work for me but was my evap canister change that did it.

Hi Aqua and welcome to the forum. That's a very interesting tip, I'm going to check out if it's something that also applies to my vehicle. Best of luck to you!

Wabbit said:
 I'm going to check out if it's something that also applies to my vehicles.
Hi wabbit, here  a tip for ya, what  were after is custom changing the  torque curve lower. It's subtract from peak HP 4,000+ HP but you don't use that on the street anyway 
 My way you leave timing alone, which is bad for hills, pinging
If You got a standard  you gage by 4 gear, the lowers thebmph  you can easily cruze then take of from. Object is your going to lower the speed of doing the same or your going to take of way faster.

Automatic tran you can  gage from letting off the throttle  and the  Coasting  speed  distance will start to  start lessen  as you build torque,  what your trying to do is take up the free slop
And go a bit beyond allowable.  Custom safe tinkering .
Its simple you just do the opposite of  more free flow which  gives more HP at 4 k really 5,343 rpm  where torque and HP are the same, below, that torque move the car above that HP  mover the car.
it's about custom  (junk yard)  tuned  restricting  the inflow and extending the snorkel a bit.
 Find the smallest intake snorkel that fits your engine cube, I know ford when to larger diameter snorkel, go and get the smaller version  you get better torque, 
Or you can custom inflow by using  your same snorkel and added a smaller cut  snorkle size insert  1-3"  the top of the double v to the front and use grabber screw to hold it on place.
 This is safe because it before the air filter .
If not, hight of the snorkel where it bolt to the frame matter too. Add washers  to get higher then see if added or subtracted torque.
There are many trick to get your ride reforming well, ground wires, plug wires not touching etc.

Hi, free drifters

been reading and I see ford  ( mine 1994   econoline conversion high top)  van  has a reputation as a gas eater from different owner,
 there not wrong, the 351  4 speed over drive has a lot of power but it's also thirsty, 
I came from a Honda civic hybrid ,  so I've been trying my tricks to get better mpg. And  I've found something that does work and I would like to share it.

First I don't fill that tank its too large, but 1 can Judge   By my usual 20 dollar gas  and fuel prices how many days to empty, it's   roughly   11-12  mpg  city not over 50 mph.  About 1-2 mpg short.  Seem to be running tad rich 

This was after  taking out the ac and etc, fender and running board, cupboards ,  seats, bracket, trailer hitch , about 350 weight saving.

Iam very happy with my gas malleable now,  needle seem to stay in one place after a drive,  and not afraid to idle the engine anymore , we had about 20 cents a gallon added to what I was comparing to , here in Honolulu  regular  is 337 now  so it's seem amazing.

Well what made a 1-2 mpg  different  your not going to believe this, because there no true explanation, 
 I was smelling gas by my driver door, and the evaporating canister is mounted right there. Logic say its  charcoal full.  So I change it, about 70-80 buck eBay . And surprise , not expecting this new returned to stock or better gas mileage.

Because the canister is just to filter the extra vapor, I goggle around and think this is the best explanation .   

Rats can't copy. In short the evap valve stuck open cause vacuume  leak so it's lean  out so the ecu  go into  safe mode that is to over rice the mixture.

Something along this line as, as I didn't  change my evap valve  yet. But only my evap cansister  because its smelt  baby of gas fumes. And got better mpg. 

There is a fast test, but iam not saying, as other would say that not good to do.
 Just wanted to share  what works,  and a tune up and throttle positioner didn't work for me but was my evap canister change that did it.

this is before the air filter

gsfish said:
Thanks for the tip.

Welcome to the forum.

Always wanted to visit the islands, my dad was a kid there in the 20's.

Guy
You got to visit someday, rent a car and check out the zillion of beach around. You can still have the whole beach to yourself if you take the off beat road beaches. 20s must  have been
so diffrent, I love the 60 deco era.  That my van decor style

Aqua said:
Hi, free drifters
been reading and I see ford  ( mine 1994   econoline conversion high top)  van  has a reputation as a gas eater from different owner.
Hi Aqua- welcome! As an E350 owner, one other MPG tip I can offer is the type of tire you're using. When I recently replaced mine, I had read a Consumer Reports piece on tire style and MPG. And just as they predicted, when I changed from Michelin LTX street tires to Michelin LTX A/T tires, my MPG dropped near 10%. I'm ok with that, but was surprised at the difference. The A/T tire also has a lower mileage warranty, but my tires usually get replaced due to age rather than wearout. So there's just one more little tidbit for you.....

Hi wabbit, here a tip for ya, what were after is custom changing the torque curve lower. It's subtract from peak HP 4,000+ HP but you don't use that on the street anyway
My way you leave timing alone, which is bad for hills, pinging
If You got a standard you gage by 4 gear, the lowers thebmph you can easily cruze then take of from. Object is your going to lower the speed of doing the same or your going to take of way faster.

Automatic tran you can gage from letting off the throttle and the Coasting speed distance will start to start lessen as you build torque, what your trying to do is take up the free slop
And go a bit beyond allowable. Custom safe tinkering .
Its simple you just do the opposite of more free flow which gives more HP at 4 k really 5,343 rpm where torque and HP are the same, below, that torque move the car above that HP mover the car.
it's about custom (junk yard) tuned restricting the inflow and extending the snorkel a bit.
Find the smallest intake snorkel that fits your engine cube, I know ford when to larger diameter snorkel, go and get the smaller version you get better torque,
Or you can custom inflow by using your same snorkel and added a smaller cut snorkle size insert 1-3" the top of the double v to the front and use grabber screw to hold it on place.
This is safe because it before the air filter .
If not, hight of the snorkel where it bolt to the frame matter too. Add washers to get higher then see if added or subtracted torque.
There are many trick to get your ride reforming well, ground wires, plug wires not touching etc.

Hi, free drifters
Haven't introduce myself from Honolulu , experience 10+years.

been reading and I see ford ( mine 1994 econoline conversion high top) van has a reputation as a gas eater from different owner,
there not wrong, the 351 4 speed over drive has a lot of power but it's also thirsty,
I came from a Honda civic hybrid , so I've been trying my tricks to get better mpg. And I've found something that does work and I would like to share it.

First I don't fill that tank its too large, but 1 can Judge By my usual 20 dollar gas and fuel prices how many days to empty, it's roughly 11-12 mpg city not over 50 mph. About 1-2 mpg short. Seem to be running tad rich

This was after taking out the ac and etc, fender and running board, cupboards , seats, bracket, trailer hitch , about 350 weight saving.

Iam very happy with my gas malleable now, needle seem to stay in one place after a drive, and not afraid to idle the engine anymore , we had about 20 cents a gallon added to what I was comparing to , here in Honolulu regular is 337 now so it's seem amazing.

Well what made a 1-2 mpg different your not going to believe this, because there no true explanation,
I was smelling gas by my driver door, and the evaporating canister is mounted right there. Logic say its charcoal full. So I change it, about 70-80 buck eBay . And surprise , not expecting this new returned to stock or better gas mileage.

Rats can't copy. In short the evap valve stuck open cause vacuume leak so it's lean out so the ecu go into safe mode that is to over rice the mixture.

Something along this line as, as I didn't change my evap valve yet. But only my evap cansister because its smelt baby of gas fumes. And got better mpg.

Just wanted to share what works, and a tune up and throttle positioner didn't work for me but was my evap canister change that did it.

this is before the air filter
I know these are old posts, but still info2 B had, but this old gal🙋🏼‍♀️ bout2 go bonkers reading what all sum Ya'll ben thru! Here in Aridzona, my tires have excellent tread, but badly dry rotted! I'm in. '95 e250 club wagon van (shuttle) in former life. Removed chair lift, seat's & brackets but4 1sml bench seat. Require guy under w impact & 1inside to get last seat out or leave it booger up layout. Had NO time to do ANY, thru in a fold a bed frame & watevr pad I cud, a lite, very sml. kitchen island 2put my stove on. So I tried to keep it lite. BUT lucky 2 get 9mi p.g.! Told it ain't gonna get much mor. Worse is, NO GUTS! Evn tho I usually at 60 or les,2go EZ. Dogs on slitest incline. Prone2ovr heat, tho new rad, fan clutch, hoses, therm. Suddenly a psshhh🌫️, semi cold motor. Finally felt hole on BK of coolnt temp sensor? Driv side, top. Wire on plastic clip. But unsure rite tool/way2 replace it, can't afford a garage. Sprayed w liq.wrench but afraid to tackle. PLZ ADVISE! P.S. did have a litle mor pep after 2 tanks w Seafoam added. MUST GET BK out of PHX SOON WIL B 2HOT🥵

Ways to keep it cool are drive late at night til early morning during the coolest hours. Drive like you have a raw egg between your foot and the accelerator at about 55 MPH. Run the vehicle with AC off as well as the defroster off. Run the interior heaters both front and rear if you have them full hot with high fan speed. You can disconnect the windshield washer hose from the squirters and tape or tie it to the front of the grill so you can squirt water on the front of the radiator by working the washer switch on hills if it gets hot. Keep a spray bottle of water to do the same when taking breaks while traveling. Carry extra coolant just in case!