1993 Ford Club Wagon (Juanita born again)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Built the little dresser today. I am not sure it's going to work as a kitchen cabinet as I had wanted it to because it's not very deep. However, I could build a larger top for it to store the stove...

finisheddresser.jpg

My daughter and I will be picking out some cute craft papers to mod podge to it... I might paint the frame and then make each drawer a different print. We're also going to make our own steam punk drawer pulls.

bungeedin.jpg

Once I have a floor, it won't have to be bungeed! I will use L-brackets to attach it to the floor. Those drawers are pretty hard to open right now, but I'll probably have to figure out a way to latch them while moving... that might be another excuse for something steam punk!

Now, here's where I'm glad I put this little dresser together... there is a HUGE gap between the back of the dresser and the interior curved wall of the van. I knew it would be there... just didn't realize how HUGE it would be!

bigareabehinddresser.jpg

anotherviewofbigarea.jpg

So... should I leave the gap between the outer wall and the inner wall empty and just insulate over the interior wall? Or leave the gap empty, then reflectix, then polyiso board? Any ideas or suggestions welcome!!

againwiththeoctopus.jpg

I had to show this monstrosity of an A/C unit again... I think I want it gone! My mechanic down the road said it couldn't be done... Ugh! I know it can and has been, just hate to deal with another mechanic!! The porta potty was gifted to me from my sister.

Such a goofy thing to do (build a dresser) for a van that needs a floor and insulation before it can be properly lived in, but it helps to feel even a tiny bit of accomplishment! LOL

Attachments

• finisheddresser.jpg
    finisheddresser.jpg
    253.7 KB
  • bungeedin.jpg
    bungeedin.jpg
    243.8 KB
  • bigareabehinddresser.jpg
    bigareabehinddresser.jpg
    188.9 KB
  • anotherviewofbigarea.jpg
    anotherviewofbigarea.jpg
    307.7 KB
  • againwiththeoctopus.jpg
    againwiththeoctopus.jpg
    419.4 KB
AbuelaLoca said:
helps to feel even a tiny bit of accomplishment! LOL

Congrats! lol  :cool:

I too would get rid of the a/c...man that thing takes a lot of room.

Cute dresser! My son is going to look at my huge blower and and see if he can take it out. Last night long after the interior walls of the van were cooled this black beast was still hot. Ugh. .. It has to go!

AbuelaLoca said:
There are wooden supports in my hightop (at least I think they're wood), but I'm not sure if that's what you mean 
Have you tore out your lining yet ? I posted a pic of the metal bars in my first pages on Building Carmon. I will try to get the link.

I remember that picture! No, I don't have those in my high top... Here's a picture of the inside of mine.

CeilingRibsOverall.jpg

Attachments

• CeilingRibsOverall.jpg
    CeilingRibsOverall.jpg
    83.8 KB
AbuelaLoca said:
I remember that picture! No, I don't have those in my high top... Here's a picture of the inside of mine.

Hmmm. Yours is a 1993?

you CAN remove that AC it just needs to be done the right way. does the shop you use do AC work? for someone that Does AC this is a no brainer. highdesertranger

Yes, Kat, mine is a 1993.

HDR, they really just recharged my air, if I think about it. There was no work to do because it was all fine... I think LOL. In other words, I obviously need a shop that works on A/C! I'll put a feeler out for recommendations on facebook, I'm sure someone around here has had work done!

The freon need to be taken out of the air conditioner.  A shop should be able to take it out with a machine.  Some people I know just release it into the atmosphere, cap off the line to the rear ac unit and recharge the system.  You really need someone that knows what they are doing but it ain't rocket science.  You just need to have gauges to get the correct pressure on the system.

Nice progress!

I was also contemplating about the rear AC. Mine is in the very back on top of the metal roof over the back doors (but still under the fiberglass roof) - not sure if that makes sense. But since it is working, I figured I'll keep it and run the AC when driving. It takes up some space, yes. But an extended body van for one person provides "plenty of space".

I believe mine would work as well, dr_nelson, if it was connected with some wiring?? Right now, tho, it's not and I have no idea what it should even be connected to... however, as things are going in, I'm finding it is taking up prime real estate... I need to be able to store my fresh water, gray water, 20# propane tank, and some house batteries. I also want a fold-away shower, so I need more foot space for that to happen... It's really the windows that take up too much space!!! Because of the windows I can't go vertical like others... Anyone reading this that thinks windows are the cat's meow... they're a PITA, but I wouldn't change it for the world... just the rear A/C unit... I'll change that... LOL

Cover a window (or two or???) with polyiso if you want more vertical space. ;)

The sikaflex and I just had a fight over one of the windows! The sikaflex won, but I've learned some valuable lessons!

1. Cheap pair of rubber/latex gloves!
2. Tape off the van AND the window
3. Don't get WHITE sikaflex for around a black seal

The other three windows will probably look much better and be much easier to caulk. I am not ready to take pictures of the mess I made, but it will be a booger to clean up! This was my "belinda move of the day" and should probably be posted in the YARC thread, but oh well!!

AbuelaLoca said:
The sikaflex and I just had a fight over one of the windows! The sikaflex won, but I've learned some valuable lessons!

1. Cheap pair of rubber/latex gloves!
2. Tape off the van AND the window
3. Don't get WHITE sikaflex for around a black seal

The other three windows will probably look much better and be much easier to caulk. I am not ready to take pictures of the mess I made, but it will be a booger to clean up! This was my "belinda move of the day" and should probably be posted in the YARC thread, but oh well!!
As long as you learn from your mistakes. I hope learn from your mistakes to just bought me a 98'ford E 350 Use to be a handycap bus will be doing the say as you
6e9f8fb1ae21ab47ce94f58edf085cd6.jpg

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

AbuelaLoca, I didn't want to cover any windows in my E350 ext. but honestly I would rather have more storage than saving them would give me.

Rlmarsh, yeah....another E350 to follow. Congrats on your new find!

Rlmarsh1108 said:
As long as you learn from your mistakes. I hope learn from your mistakes to just bought me a 98'ford E 350 Use to be a handycap bus will be doing the say as you

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

She is absolutely stunning!!! Welcome to the big ol' almost a bus club LOL

KatBalouE350 said:
AbuelaLoca, I didn't want to cover any windows in my E350 ext. but honestly I would rather have more storage than saving them would give me.

Rlmarsh, yeah....another E350 to follow. Congrats on your new find!

I am undecided so far, Kat... I really, really, really love those windows. It would take me some time to get used to not having them... BUT... It might just happen that a couple get covered. I don't think it will happen before I am full time though!

Which insulating paint did you choose? I am think about lizard skin for the cab and doghouse in my RV... but, haven't made a final decision yet.

I went with http://www.hytechsales.com/ because it was a lot cheaper when I was buying. I'm not sure if Lizard Skin has dropped in price or not. I remember doing the research and deciding against Lizard Skin, but I sure can't remember why :-D I'll check out my insulation thread and see if I mention why I decided on Hy-Tech...