FedEx Step Van Conversion

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great conversion. You've done a good job of making something that works for you.

But, I really just want to know how your toilet is infallible. Isn't its performance rather passive? Wouldn't your role in the relationship be the one contingent upon... regularity? :D

Also, my mom did her bedroom floor with that ripped up bag / Elmer's glue thing when I was a kid. Must have been 12 or 14 years ago. It's held up just fine with normal foot traffic in the house. She did it directly over old, wide, softwood floor boards, with no plywood.

Interesting project.  A few ideas there worth trying.  Adding my +1 to the compressor fridge.  Mine is smaller than most like but suits my needs.

I've considered a greenhouse on top of a large cargo trailer, how do you deal with states that don't allow bringing in plants from other areas? (Arizona/California for example) Unless you avoid those places?

ZoNiE said:
I've considered a greenhouse on top of a large cargo trailer, how do you deal with states that don't allow bringing in plants from other areas? (Arizona/California for example) Unless you avoid those places?

haven't been to either of those states yet. thanks for the heads up, we'll probably try our luck tho.  just growing annual veggies which are shipped across state and national borders all the time so I wouldn't think it would be an issue but I'll have to look into it.  thanks!

They both have agricultural road blocks where they will ask you what you have on board and can check your vehicle . They will make you surrender anything prohibited.

yes they will and not only agriculture products. but firewood too, I have even had them tell me that I need to wash my vehicle and 4 wheeler, so I don't transport weeds. highdesertranger

This would make an interesting XKCD:

Beret: Hi, Officer! I travel the country spreading awareness of invasive species!
Officer: What do you have in your van and trailer?
Beret: All kinds of stuff! From Asian Lady Beetles to Zebra Mussels! And we have a section on plants, too! Purple Loostrife, Garlic Mustard; hey: how about I give you the full presentation?
Officer: "Need backup in lane 4; repeat: backup in Lane 4"

I have a story about one of those checkpoints. I was driving east on 62 I think, that 100 mile stretch of nothing out of SoCal. I passed from California into Arizona and realized I needed gas. There was a gas station on the CA side. Because I just came through 100 miles of emptyness I decided to turn back across the CA border and gas up before going on (turned out I was 17 miles from Parker, but I didn't know that).

Upon hitting the checkpoint at the state line, I was told they would have to perform a full search for moths because my vehicle has plates from the northeast. It didn't matter that I hadn't been in the northeast for several months. I asked if it would take long, but they didn't answer, just going about crawling underneath my van and poking inside the bumpers and et cetera. In conversation I said I was just getting gas anyway and turning around. The guy said, "Oh, it's way cheaper in AZ just a few miles that way..." Okay, so at that point all I wanted to do was pull a u-turn. They still wouldn't let me go without checking my van for moths. I said, "What would happen if you FOUND moths? Would you not let me in CA? Because that's what I want to happen. I don't want to go into CA."

Finally they finished and gave me a certificate that my van is moth free. I told them I would laminate it in case I ever saw them again.

Anyway, I wouldn't try it with a garden.

yep got to justify their job, they do get a bit overzealous. I went through that same checkpoint on the way back from the RTR. what's is almost comical is I know of several ways around the check points, some are even paved. highdesertranger

nice work on the van, I like that you salvaged a whole lot and made it look nice. I keep thinking about this greenhouse on wheels idea, I like the idea however I just see the dirt being moved around so much especially in a trailer, that the plants would be uprooted, or fall over, however as you say they transport plants all the time not sure how they manage.. I am wondering if you watered them heavily before you moved if that would help keep them safe. inside of a car would be no problem but trucks and especially trailers have stiff suspensions.

actually the constant movement and vibration of a moving vehicle would compact the soil. first it would stratify it, the heavy stuff would settle and the lighter stuff would come to the surface. then the soil would compact to a almost concrete like state. ask me how I know. when I transport gold concentrates, this is what happens. all the gold will end up at the bottom of the bucket and you almost need a pick to break up the dirt. highdesertranger

flying kurbmaster said:
nice work on the van, I like that you salvaged a whole lot and made it look nice. I keep thinking about this greenhouse on wheels idea, I like the idea however  I just see the dirt being moved around so much especially in a trailer, that the plants would be uprooted, or fall over, however as you say they transport plants all the time not sure how they manage.. I am wondering if you watered them heavily before you moved if that would help keep them safe. inside of a car would be no problem but trucks and especially trailers have stiff suspensions.

thanks!  haven't had any issues with the soil or plants moving around, or uprooting at all. the trailer and containers sit pretty low, about two ft off the road, maybe the low center of gravity helps. also we tend to drive under the speed limit, especially on bumpy roads. we'll have to see how the tomatoes do once they're producing, I imagine they could bounce off the plant prematurely. but things like lettuce, beets, kale, and cucumbers should be fine i expect. we usually water while stationary, wet soil is actually looser than dry, which is why it's always much nicer to weed your garden after or during a good rain.

Greetings,

I really like your build. I've been super interested in the MT45's as well. I guess, I'm just wondering about the mechanics? Have you had any major issues thus far or any input regarding the reliability of the vehicle? I know it's got the Cummings and the Allison trans which I hear good things about. How are the rest of the components? Thanks.

:cool: