1992 Ford Club Wagon E150 5.0L V8

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am looking at a 1992 Ford Club Wagon E150 SPORTS VAN 5.0L V8 FI OHV. It's being sold by a small-time dealer who has a good reputation (reviews) and seems honest, but he bought it at auction and doesn't know a lot about it's condition. I took it for a test drive and it seems to run fine, accelerates pretty well, brakes well, feels very comfortable to drive (I'm sure it will be different when weighed down though). I'm getting it checked out by a mechanic, but just wondering if there is anything I should watch out for. It's 224,128 miles and he's selling it for $1795. The Carfax looks okay but I don't really know what I'm looking for. There was one service recall and that's the only thing that looks like a flag. There are also no records after 2014 which kind of worries me.

I don't need it to be perfect, but I'm hoping for a couple years without major repairs. I guess I'll know more after having the mechanic check it out. TIA for any opinions/advice! 

Here are the known issues:

The windshield is cracked on the passenger side
It seems to be leaking water in the front near the driver's window and on the passenger side
The front fan doesn't blow air, the rear fan blows heat though
Not sure if the A/C works
There's a beeping sound after you remove the key, he said he googled that issue and it might be related to the airbags.
Rear turn signals don't work
There's a trailer hitch but the trailer breaks don't work (wiring? the dealer thought it might be related to someone trying to fix the rear turn signals)
Back door lock is filled with some sort of plug, and doesn't open from the outside (opens from the inside)

Here are the Carfax records:

Exhaust manifold replaced
Exhaust system checked

2005 - 170,830 miles
Recommended maintenance performed
Air filter replaced
Brake rotor(s) resurfaced
Camshaft position sensor replaced
Canister filter replaced
Coolant temperature sensor replaced
Distributor cap replaced
Engine/powertrain computer/module checked
Engine/powertrain computer/module reprogrammed
Fuel filter replaced
Idle control valve/motor replaced
MAP sensor replaced
Spark plug wires replaced
Spark plug(s) replaced
Throttle position sensor replaced
Throttle valve/housing replaced
Transmission serviced
Tune-up performed

2007 - Manufacturer Safety recall issued
NHTSA #05V017000
Recall #05S28 SPEED CONTROL SYSTEM MODIFICATION

2008 - 187,906
Maintenance inspection completed

2009 - 193,467 
Battery/charging system checked
Starter replaced

2010 - 196,617 
Antifreeze/coolant flushed/changed
Body lubricated
Brake fluid flushed/changed
Brakes checked
Drivability/performance checked
Fluids checked
Front brake pads replaced
Oil and filter changed
Serpentine belt replaced
Steering/suspension checked
Thermostat replaced
Tire condition and pressure checked

2010 - 196,647
Battery replaced

2010 - 197,668
Body lubricated
Fluids checked
Front wiper blades/refills replaced
Oil and filter changed
Wiper(s) replaced

2010 - 199,518
Cooling system checked
Oil and filter changed

2012 - 209,256
Vehicle serviced

2012 - 209,345
Cooling system checked
Cooling system serviced
Radiator hose(s) replaced

2014 - 216,166
Battery/charging system checked
Body lubricated
Brake booster replaced/repaired
Cooling system serviced
Fluids checked
Oil and filter changed
Starter replaced

if I said it once I have said it 1,000 times, Car Fax is not 100% accurate. any work preformed at a shop that doesn't report to Car Fax will not show up and there are millions of those shops. it said it was recalled but doesn't say if the problem was fixed. LOL what the hell does "body lubricated" mean. formerly being a shop owner those descriptions of the work done would not fly with BAR(CA bureau of automotive repair). they are not specific at all. like "Brake booster replace/repaired" so what was it replaced or repaired. I could go on and on, "Fluids Checked" what fluids were checked any low, was any fluid added. "Steering/suspension checked", and what was the out come? "Cooling system serviced", what exactly was done. like I said almost all that info means nothing without more specifics. I can't stop laughing at the "Body lubricated". highdesertranger

Mercedes Benz used to want you to remove all the door seals and soak them in liquid silicone as regular maintenance, and that was what the shop charged for, but all ever saw were spray cans of silicone. If I remember correctly you white lubed all hinges and sprayed silicone on all rubber gaskets. "Body Lubricated" was good for about 4 hours flat rate on your time card. You should always use lubrication when you do this to customers!

No way no how you'll go for years without big bills.

I'd mentally prepare for $500 per quarter, and then put 50¢ per mile in a piggy bank. If you end up not needing it then you're saving up for your next one <50K (and not a Ford :cool:

But that's me.

I think carfax only reports what shows up in a public report mostly. If it was in an accident and the police were involved then there would be a public report on it. If it was a fender bender with no police and the two parties just swap insurance then no police report and I don't think it would show up in carfax. I would trust having a qualified mechanic go over the van. I think a little money up front to have it inspected will go a long way in saving money and frustration down the road. I've been driving for 35 years. I have a good idea when a car is running good. But I'm not a mechanic. Something that I might think sounds ok and is probably not a big deal might really be an expensive repair.
The part about the guy saying he "googled" the chime noise and thinks it is part of the airbags sounds like a big red flag. First, he doesn't sound like a mechanic. And second, when I hear airbags I instantly think this could be a very expensive repair.

don't buy, its ready for the breakers. at most worth $500.00. with a cracked WS thats $200.00 alone

carfax is a scam to make money from small dealers. They're bullies and most of the time worthless. The only thing that shows up like highdesertranger said is warranty work done by a dealer.

I love that I posted a great running full out high top camper van loaded with solar for $1800 and not one single person was interested. but 100 posts about standard vans ridiculously over-priced and people chomping at the bits for it. Maybe I should have listed it for $9,800 lmao

Actually there's some truth to that, people see a too-low price and assume it's worth less.

Tack on a few thousand, spend that on marketing, how the whole industry works.

I should have posted a disclaimer. I know carfax can be inaccurate. I was just posting the info I have. Thanks for the warning about the airbag repair.

I am getting it checked out by a mechanic.

The price didn't seem unreasonable to me, as all vans I've seen in this age range have been about the same. So I appreciate the reality check. If the inspection passes, I'll try to negotiate the price down.

John61CT, why "not a Ford 8"?

Bardo, had I seen that and been close enough to make it feasible, I'd have been all over it

Sold my 91 E150 conversion with 160k for $1k...New tires, brakes, etc

I don't even know how a dealer can legally sell a car with out working turn signals. At the very least ethically he shouldn't. Those sort of things should be fixed by him at the very least, including the cracked windshield. He probably got it at auction for about $400 I think that will need another 2k into it in the very near future if not immediately.

I think you can find a better van for $2000 if you're patient.

TheCatsPajamas said:
John61CT, why "not a Ford 8"?
I've just had a bad run with Fords in general.

The 8 is just the glasses on my smiley

:cool:

Every Road Leads Home said:
I don't even know how a dealer can legally sell a car with out working turn signals. At the very least ethically he shouldn't.

In Texas he couldn't, if the buyer knows enough to realize that, unless it's a junk dealer selling 'salvage vehicles'