A Roadtreak tryout

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stargazer

Reaction score
Several months ago, I asked my seven year old grand daughter if she'd like to take a vacation with Grandma. She said, "Yes!"  I asked her what she'd like to do and she replied, "Camping!"  Now my self-built E-150 was not a choice for two and I have since sold it.  So I rented a 2014 Roadtrek 210 Popular and planned out a two week trip.  I have always yearned to own and full-time in one of these (well, an older one because who can afford a new one?) and this will give me the chance to try it out.  So here is my story, so far.

I reserved this one because it has three passenger seats, instead of just the front two.  GD still uses a booster car seat so front seat riding is out of the question.  Yes, the rear sofa has seat belts but it is so far back, I wouldn't be able to hear or see her while driving.

I picked it up on Monday.  The agent took me back into a huge airplane type hanger where various RV's were being prepped: Class C's, A's, TT's.  As we were walking through, I kept looking around for this B and finally, there it was, dwarfed between two big buses.  Freshly washed, shiny, not a dent anywhere, proudly sitting there amongst its big siblings.  I asked the agent, "Is that it?!"  And when he said, "Yes", I gulped and held back tears.  O-M-G!!!  She's beautiful!!  For me?  Remember that TV commercial where two people are running towards each other in slow motion through a field of wild flowers?  That's what it felt like as I approached this van.  I was speechless.

We did a walk through and as I drove it home to load up, through major city downtown rush hour, it was like a dream.  It's on a Chevy 3500 chassis, don't know the engine size yet.  Stopped at daughter's house to show them, they've never seen one.  She was ready to abandon her family to come with me.  Got it home and was surprised at the generous storage space this thing has.  Yes, I am a minimalist but even so, there are lots of empty spaces with stuff for two weeks on the road.  The cabinetry is solid wood, well made with good latches and hinges.  The bathroom doors seem a little iffy and I treat them gently, they're mounted with piano hinges.   There is a closet for hanging clothes and it is large enough for five pants and five tops with room to spare.  Instead of hanging side to side, clothes hang front to back.  A clever use of space and regular hangers fit.  Loaded it up and left the next morning to drive the 300 miles to pick up my little traveling companion for our big adventure.

We loaded up her stuff and left Wednesday morning.  We are driving from west Texas to a primitive camping destination in the high Rockies in Colorado.  This little girl is definitely a flatlander city girl, so I planned short days of 200 miles of driving, staying in RV parks along the way with an outing nearby in the afternoon, with a gradual increase in elevation along the way to hopefully prevent potential of altitude problems for the GD.

Day 1, Roswell NM and the UFO Museum.  She loved it!  It took four hours to drive 150 miles!  We're both figuring out how to use this RV.  Five or six stops along the way.  Once was to move her to the rear sofa.  Then back again to the third front seat because the sofa back was so tight against the wall, the seat belts didn't work properly.  Maybe user error?  Maybe a design problem?  Maybe a manufacturer fault?  Don't know.

The fridge is a 3-way, so far running on either AC or propane.  No problems there.  It's a nice size single door and the freezer is large enough for four ice trays with room to spare, and yes, it's freezing.

There are two fresh water tanks totaling over 20 gals.  A 10 gal black and 20 something gray. The tank level sensors appear to be working.

Day 2:  Alamogordo NM and White Sands National Monument.  Staying at the KOA (full hookups, a pool, game room, etc.).  They loaned us two saucer sleds to play in the dunes and we both had a fun afternoon there. Returned to the park, swam, had supper in the RV, then spent the evening on the playground and in the gameroom.

The van has the small sunroof type windows in the roof, with removable shades.  Even covered, they're a real source of heat entry in this already hot summer weather.  The AC works hard to keep us relatively cool and I also brought a small fan.   The curtain fabric is heavy and high quality, and well mounted.  I would do it differently but they work well enough.  And it screams for reflectix.

Overall, so far, I am impressed with the build and materials quality with this RV.  It has 14,000+ miles on the odometer, FYI.  It drives like a dream and loaded up with full fresh water, gets about 10-12 mpg in mixed hills/flat highway driving.  I checked it once and that's enough info on that.

Today, Albuquerque and the petroglyphs.  So far so good.

I've always liked those, with the exception of ground clearance. I've been in one or two older ones and they were also built well. I especially liked the layout in Kimbopolo's, I think it's a 190 on a chevy chassis.

I had one for a short short time, very well built, but it had mechanical issues I couldn't afford, so it's gone. I wonder if the 210 would work better for me, I'm 5'10" and hit my head on EVERYTHING in the 190.

Thanks for the great report. I love my Chevy 3500 chassis, too! What a dream to drive!

So cool, have fun love that area, grand daughter u are lucky! So cool she wanted to camp:)

Glad to hear a review of a Roadtrek and hope the trip is a permanent fond memory for you both.

Good report, and please continue the comments as your trip progresses. I am looking at used Roadtreks for possible purchase, as they have many attractive features.

IIRC, Roadtrek has covers for the trademark "3 roof windows" to keep the rig cooler. If yours doesn't have the covers, perhaps some cardboard cut outs could be fitted as temporary covers when you are stopped.

Stargazer said:
 I have always yearned to own and full-time in one of these (well, an older one because who can afford a new one?)So far so good.

Can you afford $30,000?  There's a 2004 210 w/126k on the 'clock' here in the Bay Area.  Not sure why the price is so low.  Generally they're $15k - $20k more than that for similar years.  http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/rvd/5716449585.html

I too am interested in the Roadtrek, so it will be interesting to hear your review at the end of your journey.   :)

Day 3:  One concern I had before leaving was the comfort of the bed.  In my previous van, I ordered and cut to fit a 9" memory foam mattress and in my current fifth wheel, I have the tempurpedic that was in my house.  So I am a mattress princess.  In this model Roadtrek, there is the fold down sofa across the back and two "seats" on either side.  It can be made into three different configurations, any one of which your body will be half on the sofa (pretty firm) and half on the seat cushion (sorta soft).  Night One I slept like a dead person, no soreness when I awoke in the morning.  Last night, I just couldn't get comfortable and at 3:30 am, gave up and got up.  Maybe it was too much caffeine, too much bouncing and giggling from my little companion?  We shall see tonight.

We drove 220 miles this morning in five hours, frequent stops, with one long stop at the Valley of Fires Natl Rec Area.  I've camped there before and GD actually found it very cool, Gramma.  She has settled down from her initial excitement of the Roadtrek ("It's like a little house on wheels.") and is actually showing just a tad bit of interest in her natural surroundings, a new thing for her.  This was one of my goals this trip -- to get her away from tablets, phones, games and into nature.  Can this be taught?  We shall see.

Meanwhile, today was the first chance I've had to open her (the van) up and see what she'll do on good highways.  Besides guzzling gas, I'm sure, performance was very satisfactory, even with over 20 gallons of water on board.  And if there is an overdrive, I don't see it.  Steering was great and passing trucks hardly budged me.  It rides and drives very much like the E-150 did.  It's just longer, 21 feet vs 18 feet.

We haven't yet used the shower, and not much use of the toilet so dumping the tanks hasn't happened yet.  Dumping gray and black will be Saturday or Sunday.

One thing...getting in and out isn't as easy as I thought.  You still have to duck to get in.

Tomorrow to Durango, Colorado.  Little GD is being slowly weaned from civilization.

Add: yesterday at White Sands, the visitor center parking lot had a sign "No Motorhomes or RV's". I didn't see any other place for Motorhomes or RV's to park. So we drove right in and fit just fine in a regular parking space. Nobody said a word. This is a big reason why the RT is attractive to me. Yes, low clearance may be a problem. If I can get into Little Molas Lake CG south of Silverton, that will work for me!

Day 4, 5:30 am:

Ok, the bed would have to be modified.  It brings back memories of the fold down bench seat that was in the E150 for a short while.  I'm bottoming out on it.

The 13,500 BTU air conditioner just can't keep up with the heat in the sun.  Reflectix would help a lot.  There is a Home Depot in Durango.  I may stop there this afternoon and get a roll.  A major reason I'm considering this is to have AC when necessary (think kids and dog).  If it was just me in this trip, I would hightail it to the mountains as quick as I could.  And stay there till fall.

Love this thread thanks for sharing. You could make toys thread even better with a couple of pictures ?? :) thanks for sharing!

So jealous lol just to see the world with the help of a little girl would be magical. My 2 sons are far away from getting a family going, San Francisco is not
young family friendly any more, when I was growing up here kids everywhere now it's the 2 boomers working to pay off the 6k mortgage every month
it sucks.

wagoneer said:
So jealous lol just to see the world with the help of a little girl would be magical. My 2 sons are far away from getting a family going, San Francisco is not
young family friendly any more, when I was growing up here kids everywhere now it's the 2 boomers working to pay off the 6k mortgage every month
it sucks.

Holy hell!!!   :huh:

I got in in 93 my payment is only 1500 but a lot of my neighbors paid 1 mil plus, and most are snobs without kids.

Day 5:  Made it to Durango by 2:00 yesterday, with stops at Home Depot for reflectix and City Market for a few groceries.  Only 220 miles, why did it feel like 400?  The RT is really a dream to drive and just as easy to park as the E150 was.  The steering is tighter and it took the hills just fine.

GD is a rip!  When she uses the potty, she now asks, "Is the water pump on, Gramma?"  And she is getting good at the "RV Dance", you know, keeping out of each other's way in this small space.

The design and floor plan of this Roadtrek 210 Popular is actually pretty impressive.  I've owned six various RVs in my lifetime and this is the best built, solid construction, plenty of storage, well thought out.  If it belonged to me, I would make a couple of tweaks (the curtains don't seal completely, and I would close off those small roof windows with something more insulated than what is there now).

I have discovered by trial and error that the bench couch part is ok for sleeping, it's the cushions that extend the sofa to make a larger bed that don't work for me.  If I were alone, I'd sleep on just the couch part, leave it down in bed position.

We haven't used the shower and probably won't.  Strangely, there is a drain in the shower itself AND one in the hall floor.  Shower curtain track allows you to use just the tiny shower stall or extend out into the hallway.  Yeah, sure.  Water water everywhere!  No thanks.  Since we're RV parking it, we just use their showers.  I believe Roadtrek is the only manufacturer that does this.  On RT owners forums, some say they just use a basin to bathe.  Why have a shower if you're not gonna use it?  Oh!  That's where I'm storing the laundry and hanging wet swimsuits.

Last night, I did a dump of the black tank, which we have used only for urinating.  No solid waste, no toilet paper in the tank.  This system is completely different than my other RV's.  The dump station is in a slide open drawer just behind the driver's door outside.  The small (2"?) hose is permanently attached, with a valve that closes it at the distal end that goes into the sewer. You open the tank valve (pull the standard handle), then press a button that is located inside the driver's door frame (so you also have to open the door) that activates the macerater pump.  The business end has a hard rubber stopper-like thing that is supposed to fit into the sewer opening.  But it doesn't.  It's too small!  You don't get a seal.  Maybe there's a fitting you can get?  Don't know.  So emptying the tank was a bit of a trick, and I was very glad it was only urine.  There is a learning curve here.  Maybe I'll get out the instruction manual?!  It was quick and easy but problematic for me the first time. The demo at the rental place wasn't very complete.  I'll figure it out tomorrow morning when I have more time.

So far, my thoughts on this are:

1.  It's a quality RV.  I'm impressed and I'm not easy to impress.

2.  Would I full-time in this?  By myself?  Yes!  Except...all these bells and whistles while on the road complicate my life.  And that is my conundrum.

3.  It's expensive!  All Class B's are expensive, even used.

My self built E150 camper was so simple, no added electrical or plumbing and that worked well for me.  A shower I won't use?  A toilet that I have to read the manual to figure out how to dump (and when that tank is full and the macerater pump fails, what then?)?  Water lines to freeze?  Lots of things that will eventually fail, and always at the most inopportune time!  But if someone wanted a fully equipped RV that is small and easy to drive, this would be a good choice, IMHO.

Meanwhile, today we ride the Durango Silverton train, and tomorrow we head up to my favorite primitive camp!  Where I'll get out the old Mr Heater Little Buddy and the blankets and the graham crackers and marshmallows and Hershey bars, exchange the flip flops for hiking shoes and the real fun begins (at least for me).

Felt the same way about my older RT, beautifully built, well designed... but when push came to shove it had more stuff in it than I needed, and for me personally, it was too cramped with cabinets and doors. Too much ducking and twisting.

I'd love to be able to have one built ala cart. Real bunks in the back, fridge, fantastic fan, wirde for electrical but not plumbing or propane, nice solar set up...

Queen said:
I'd love to be able to have one built ala cart.  Real bunks in the back, fridge, fantastic fan, wired for electrical but not plumbing or propane, nice solar set up...

Unfortunately the entire RV market is geared toward the family of 2 adults, 2.4 kids and the family dog heading off for their 'dream vacation' of two weeks in an RV park with full hookups and a pool/rec center.

They just don't make an RV suitable for one or two that is spacious inside and without the entire range of amenities you'd find in a S&B.

The RT tried to be that, really only sleeps two, has alllll the bells and whistles, but in order to achieve that, it is so completely cramped (for me anyway), and some things like the toilet and shower, are difficult to use.

(Re: the toilet, it was hard for me to use because the closet it's in in the 190 is VERY tight, my shoulders were touching on both walls whenever I sat down... I think the 210 has a different orientation)

Nice report.
I think if you are having fun so will your mini me.

Latest posts