A Roadtreak tryout

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rvpopeye said:
I think if you are having fun so will your mini me.

I keep thinking what great memories the wee one will get from that trip, I sure remember going camping at that age... although in a smelly canvas tent sans toilet and AC.  :p

Yeah , she will probably always dream of having the life she remembers with you on this trip !

Now you can dream of what HER Roadtrek will look like!

Queen:  I believe Sportsmobile in Austin TX will build one a la carte.  I met a guy who had this done and he was very happy with it (no bathroom, either).  I'm afraid to price one out but I may check into that if I decide to pull the trigger.

Popeye:  lol!  Nothing would surprise me with this little girl!

Day6:  today we are headed to my favorite primitive camping area just south of Silverton.  I have told her about it, no pool, no electricity, no showers.  Last night she said, "Real Camping, huh Gramma?!"  I hope there isn't a burn ban -- she wants a campfire and smores.   

Yesterday, we took the Durango Silverton Narrow Gauge Train.  It was fun but the trip back was long.  It was late leaving Durango because as they pulled out of the station, the concession car slipped off the tracks!  They unhooked and rearranged the cars, luckily we were still in the yard with several tracks, but that took over an hour to do.  It was interesting; I wondered if I was crazy to take GD on it but all worked out in the end.  I didn't tell Mommy and Daddy until we were back last night.

This morning, since our destination is only 50 miles away, I'm letting her sleep in, and I will be getting out the instruction manual to see how the battery system works, dump the tanks and fill fresh water tanks.  I brought the Mr Heater and realized last night I forgot to bring the propane bottles!  I don't want to use the on board propane furnace because the fridge will be using it and don't want to run out using the furnace.

Now MY vacation begins. RV parks with full hookups have their place in the camping community but they're not my thing.  The past five days have been a way to gently get her into this.  She has been amazing!  You'd think she's been doing this all her seven years.  
So no wifi, no phone service, no pool or rec room.  I suspect she'll do fine!

Later ?

Stargazer - I priced out a Sportsmobile... YIKES!!!

Can't wait to see how GD enjoys being a bit more off grid, bet she starts collecting rocks and feathers and all manner of neat stuff!!

We are back to civilization, phone and Internet access.  Sigh.

First, I apologize for the typo in the title of this thread.  Sheesh.

We arrived at Little Molas Campground about noon on Monday, stayed until 9-ish am yesterday (Wed).  It is a USDA primitive camp and top on my list.  About 10 sites, a vault toilet, Little Molas Lake and the Colorado Trail runs through it.  About a mile off the highway down a dirt road, at about 10,000 feet elevation.  And it's free.

Next, the RT has performed as it should all the way.  The house battery disconnects from the engine battery when parked so no problem there.  According to the manual, one option available is an engine generator that will recharge the house battery at idle in about 30 minutes.  I didn't look under the hood to see if this van has it.  The battery charge indicator light showed full when we left, all we used were lights and the fridge and stove on propane.
It was cold at night, in the low 40's at least.  Instead of using the furnace, I used my Mr Heater Little Buddy, concerned about running out of onboard propane, and although the fridge is AC/DC/Propane, I didn't want to run it on DC.  I'm accustomed to using very little of everything, anyway.  Now, we're back to the RV park thing (yuck) and headed back home to Texas.  We would have stayed longer if 1) school didn't start next week for GD, and 2) the daily rental is high.

Would I buy one of these?  Yes and no.  Again, I am impressed with the quality and performance.  And again, it's way more than I want or need.  But for someone who wants all the bells and whistles, I would recommend it.

As for the GD and our vacation, she has been awesome!!  She loved the primitive camping experience and says it was the best part of the trip.  We hiked, explored around the campground, built campfires, and made friends with the chipmunks.  Although I never feed wildlife, I made one exception this trip -- she sat on the ground with a small piece of bread and the chipmunks ate out of her hand.  I had explained to her why we shouldn't feed the animals and that this was a one-time occurrence.  Bad Gramma!  But the thrill it gave her was worth me going to hell over.  She'll remember this forever AND I got it on video.

We are now talking about making this a yearly thing.  She is a mannerly little girl, always please and thank you, and doesn't whine or cry when my answer may be no to something, which isn't very often anyway.  We had a conversation with a young man who was backpacking the Colorado Trail, and I mentioned to him that if I was ten years younger I would take up the sport.  As she and I were walking back to our camp, she asked me, "Grandma, if you could wish for anything in the world, what would it be?"  I thought about it and said, "That's a tough one, Ella.  I have to think about that one."  After a couple of minutes, she said, "You could wish to be ten years younger, Grandma."

I could live for several months on what this trip cost and it will take a year to recoop.  But it was worth every dollar and I will do it again if I can!  She is the eldest of my four grandchildren and the only girl.  What the future holds for us all, I don't have a clue.  In five or six years, when the now nine month old boy is old enough to do something like this, and I am over seventy (!!), what then?  I better take good care of myself until then.

In another thread a few months ago, I wrote about why I'm off the road for now, living in a fifth wheel in an RV park.  It is to be close to these grandkids.  Sometimes I think about getting back out there and wonder if I'm selfish to even consider it again.  I know this trip has made at least a little impact on this child (she knows now what it means to "leave no trace"), and I think about what the future holds for them and what can I do to help them live fuller lives and who do I think I am anyway?  No answers have come to me and I guess I will continue to stumble around this issue and hope for the best.

And next time I see a falling star, maybe I will wish to be ten years younger.

Wow, just wow, what a wonderful trip report!! I love that your GD got to experience it with her grandma, not only will she love the wilderness and no to "leave no trace"; she will know, with certainty, age isn't an issue or barrier, how awesome!

I've enjoyed your report on the RT as well, helps me get it out of my head as an option as I share many of those same "more than I need, too complicated" thoughts. Thanks for sharing.

Great thread and sounds like a great trip. This is certainly something she'll remember all of her life. I think you did a very good thing for the both of you!

All the money in the world couldn't buy the memories you just made...........

rvpopeye said:
All the money in the world couldn't buy the memories you just made...........

Two of the greatest months we had (one each summer) was when we took our grandsons in the rv out west with us. They loved it and so did we. They now have jobs and girlfriends and plans, and those times will not happen, again. But every time we get together, those memories get relived. It was a special time for us and it will be for the OP and her granddaughter, too.

Thank you all for your replies.  What a good group of peeps!

We have been meandering our way home, 200 miles per day.  Today is the last leg and we will be at GDs home this afternoon.  Then I have another day (six hours) of driving tomorrow to get to my home.  Texas is, indeed, a big state and mostly a boring one to drive across. Ten days out for her was about two days too long; she has been missing Mommy and Daddy and I'm ready to get back to my normal routine, where the 31' fifth wheel will seem like a palace.

The AC on the Roadtrek isn't working right but it's cool enough without it and since it isn't mine, no worries about fixing it.  And since last night was the last night in it, not an issue.   But that brought to mind that the windows in this thing are almost worthless.  Only three windows open (not counting the driver and passenger front doors) and then only about an inch.  Even with the vent fan on, not much help.  If the flies weren't so bad here, I would've left the side door open last night.  Or a screen door would've been nice.  I would trade the bathroom for a screen door!

I was informed by my daughter (GD's mommy) last night via text that today, 7-11 is having a special on their slurpees, bring in any container and fill it for $1.99.  I am not a slurpee fan but GD is.  Here we had been discussing how long it would take to drive home from here and the slurpee discussion came up.  GD was really excited (it's the little things) and she got out the gallon water jug and said, "How bout this?"  I said maybe we could pull up next to the door and fill the fresh water tanks!  But then I told her it would probably take twice as long to get home because of all the potty stops we'd have to make.  Hmmm...what a party pooper I am!  All the same, we will be on the lookout for 7-11 stores today.  And places to pull off the road...

Fresh water tanks:  there are two, an "external" and an "internal" tank.  According to the manual, in below freezing weather, one uses the internal tank.  The two tanks are connected.  There is a valve whereby you can switch from one to the other, or run them in series and not bother with the switch.  Interesting setup.

I believe that kids (and adults!) nowadays spend far too much time on electronic gadgets.  TV, tablets, etc.  My experience with this is limited but I am going to say this anyway.  GD has a tablet and a cell phone.  She has used them (offline) for games and reading while on the road and that has been nice for me because it keeps her entertained and quiet while I'm driving.  But I can see a Very Real Difference in her attitudes and behavior when she has been using them.  When we were boondocking, she was calm, interested in her environment, ready to try new things.  When she's been gaming, it seems her brain goes into crazy mode.  Paces back and forth but not interested in outdoor activities.  Even her thought processes are different.  It's like she's not all here.  I have 4-6 hours of driving today to decide whether or not to discuss this with her parents (my daughter and son-in-law).  From what I have seen when I'm visiting there, they do limit time spent on video games, etc., and they spend lots of time doing things together as a family.  But it always seems the kids are counting down to their allotted time with PS4 et al.  I wonder what society will be like in 20 years.  But then, my parents were convinced Elvis and The Beatles would be my downfall!

Time to wake up the GD and head home, hopefully with a stop for slurpees somewhere along the way.  Prolly the highlight of the trip but that's the way it is.

Great trip report! So glad you were able to take this trip and build so many memories for yourself and the grand daughter. And thanks for the great review of the Road Trek.

Stargazer said:
I believe that kids (and adults!) nowadays spend far too much time on electronic gadgets.  TV, tablets, etc.  My experience with this is limited but I am going to say this anyway.  GD has a tablet and a cell phone.  She has used them (offline) for games and reading while on the road and that has been nice for me because it keeps her entertained and quiet while I'm driving.  But I can see a Very Real Difference in her attitudes and behavior when she has been using them.  When we were boondocking, she was calm, interested in her environment, ready to try new things.  When she's been gaming, it seems her brain goes into crazy mode.  Paces back and forth but not interested in outdoor activities.  Even her thought processes are different.  It's like she's not all here.  I have 4-6 hours of driving today to decide whether or not to discuss this with her parents (my daughter and son-in-law).  From what I have seen when I'm visiting there, they do limit time spent on video games, etc., and they spend lots of time doing things together as a family.  But it always seems the kids are counting down to their allotted time with PS4 et al.  I wonder what society will be like in 20 years.  But then, my parents were convinced Elvis and The Beatles would be my downfall!

LOL, I am in my mid-20s and I have this very same issue...with my parents. They're always on some device or another. I do find it concerning and plan to travel the US as a way to get away from the endless onslaught of gadgetry and the internet. I'm sure society will figure out how to use them responsibly eventually, but not any time soon.

Latest posts