1993 Ford Club Wagon (Juanita born again)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Acetone and automatic trans fluid mixed together is one old secret as well as bee's wax and a propane torch. Since I'm giving up some of my old secrets dipping manifold bolts in Pepto Bismol antacid while assembling keeps them from rusting in high heat situations. God I'm old!

I have used the acetone and tranny fluid works great. I have heard about the bee's wax but never tried it. I have never heard about the Pepto Bismol, got to look that one up. highdesertranger

Took Juanita to the shop today. I asked if they'd be willing to spray something on the screws to help loosen them and two of the guys went out to take a look... they're going to try to take them out when they work on the van. If they can't do it, I'll be resorting to other methods!

In other news, of all the things I've ordered (door cable repair kit, sealant for the high top, etc), my bed arrived today!  :p

Making great progress! Cost wise I'd say you're doing excellent. Anytime I do a project I can estimate all the major stuff down to the dollar before I start, but i'll be damned if I ever add enough in for all that nickel and dime stuff. Few specialty screws here, special tool there, sandpaper, tape, etc etc. By the time i'm done with a simple $200 project I have another $30 or $40 in misc crap. In my construction days I'd build a 30k addition for someone and have a few grand in misc stuff!

It WOULD be nice to have no leaks before the bed arrived though.
At least something showed up.

Ha!!! No leak over the bed would be nice! The sealant is definitely most important, however, getting those striker plates for the rear doors is a very close second! I ordered the bed because I have all the other camping stuff I need to take some much needed trips whether the van is "done" or not.

Did you get the cable that installs in the door or just the striker plates?

I got the cable repair kit which is the ends of the cables that fit into the locking mechanism? Easier to show:

[img=300x171]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81WCBQyfiSL._SL1500_.jpg[/img]

These actually came while I was laughing over the bed being delivered to my front door, these and the sealant were in my mailbox down the street. Kind of exciting to be expecting stuff! Of course, all that's left is the reflectix to cover my windows from nosey neighbors and the foam mattress I'll be adding to the cot I got!

I've watched the video on installing these cable ends, but it's gonna be a real hoot to watch me actually do it... I'm thinking of making it into my debut youtube video!!! ROFL

Could be a hoot for sure...lol Watch for wasp nests. I didn't know there was a commercially made repair kit for the cable. Only makes sense though. Where did you buy it?

These were on Amazon! The college kid has a free Prime membership since he's in college, so he's been ordering everything for me!

Woo hoo!!! A place to sleep! Did u get the leaks fixed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope. She's in the shop getting a tune up and some other stuff!! I'll fix the leak next... when it's dryer... it's still raining here!

On previous searches for cable parts all I found was the $100 cable. The repair kit can change the cost and repair headache of those cables. I wondered what kit you were talking about. Thanks for mentioning it!

:angel:  Big Man Upstairs is still on my side!! Talked to the mechanic today and he said all the plugs, wires, hoses, etc., that a tune-up would address are in great shape so they didn't do it (and I don't have to pay for it) and the air conditioner was already converted to the new freon stuff, so they wanted to leave the rear unit on and just fix it all up nice and neat and charge it up too... YES!! He didn't mention the screws on the handicap plates (strips), but since that was a "we'll see if we can get them out" kind of thing, I'm not gonna push my luck! LOL

AbuelaLoca said:
:angel:  Big Man Upstairs is still on my side!! Talked to the mechanic today and he said all the plugs, wires, hoses, etc., that a tune-up would address are in great shape so they didn't do it (and I don't have to pay for it) and the air conditioner was already converted to the new freon stuff, so they wanted to leave the rear unit on and just fix it all up nice and neat and charge it up too... YES!! He didn't mention the screws on the handicap plates (strips), but since that was a "we'll see if we can get them out" kind of thing, I'm not gonna push my luck! LOL
Nice to hear there are still some honest mech. Out there [EARTH GLOBE ASIA-AUSTRALIA]

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

highdesertranger said:
I have used the acetone and tranny fluid works great.  I have heard about the bee's wax but never tried it.  I have never heard about the Pepto Bismol,  got to look that one up.  highdesertranger
I have never tried any of those.