1993 Ford Club Wagon (Juanita born again)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best laid plans and all... it's 28 degrees and I have a horrible cold and don't want to move from my bed... ever... never...

Was right where you are, for all of January and February, had a wicked cold followed by a lung infection... takes the wind right out of your sails.

Feel better!

Wish I had a GREAT update, but alas... I have just a regular update  :-/

Juanita has been licensed and tagged. They registered her with a 12,000 pound truck tag, so I can't go over that weight  ;)

I haven't even started the clean up, but went out and looked around again... here's a few more pics and a couple of questions... I'm going to break this up into two posts so I can get all the pictures in.

DoorLatch.jpg

This is the door latch that is holding the back doors closed right now!

MissingBottomPiece.jpg

Missing bottom piece

MissingDoorPieceUpper.jpg

Missing piece from the middle of the door... Anybody know what these are called so I know what to ask for at a junk yard?

ViewInFromBack.jpg

This is the view in from the back... Probably can't see it, but this is one of those rear A/C heat vans... I'm not even going to be able to have front A/C is as it's the old stuff and I can't afford a kit to upgrade... Should I have the mechanics shut this off from the engine when I get a tune up? I also have to have the A/C compressor replaced/repaired anyway, so would it be fairly easy for them to remove this rear unit?

More pics and questions coming in the next post!!  :huh:

Attachments

• DoorLatch.jpg
    DoorLatch.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 13
  • MissingBottomPiece.jpg
    MissingBottomPiece.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 14
  • MissingDoorPieceUpper.jpg
    MissingDoorPieceUpper.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 12
  • ViewInFromBack.jpg
    ViewInFromBack.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 17
Okay, this post is going to be about that wonderful, delightful fiberglass high top.

CeilingRibsOverall.jpg

ValleyInTheRibs.jpg

SideViewHighTop.jpg

Looking at these pictures, can you tell if those are wooden boards in the ribs? There are a couple of screws in there that I could not get out by hand, but when I can get them out, is there a way I can tell if it's wood? That sure would make my life a dream!!

And finally, as a comedic end to my just regular update, I wanted you to see what the previous owners, a not-for-profit recycling business, left me for my lunch...

ChickenBone.jpg

Yes, that's a chicken bone, and I've driven the van three times and it has not moved from that spot next to the driver's seat...   :-/  :s  :p

Attachments

• CeilingRibsOverall.jpg
    CeilingRibsOverall.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 14
  • ValleyInTheRibs.jpg
    ValleyInTheRibs.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 14
  • SideViewHighTop.jpg
    SideViewHighTop.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 16
  • ChickenBone.jpg
    ChickenBone.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 18
ok the pieces they cut off for the doors are called strikers. you probably going to have to go to the junk yard or the dealer to get them. my guess is there is something wrong with the door lock that kept them from opening the doors so they micky moused it instead of fixing it. before you put the strikers in and close the doors make sure the handle and locks are working. we can walk you through it.

as far as the AC goes if you are not going to fix it why are you going to replace the compressor? yes you can delete the rear unit but it should be done the correct way if you ever want AC again. does it have rear heat? highdesertranger

I know this will be a hard sell for you, :angel:   but going to a wrecking yard with a "helpless granny" ;)   persona might just get the parts actually replaced by people that do it every day, and do not charge $120 an hour. (1/2 hour minimum)  Many places will remove the parts themselves from the salvage for the customers, so swaping it out would not be asking too much.  If you slip the guy doing the work a $10, he will remember you, and the next time you need anything,  :cool: Gold Star Service! 

I have seen it happen at almost every salvage yard I have been at.

highdesertranger said:
ok the pieces they cut off for the doors are called strikers.  you probably going to have to go to the junk yard or the dealer to get them.  my guess is there is something wrong with the door lock that kept them from opening the doors so they micky moused it instead of fixing it.  before you put the strikers in and close the doors make sure the handle and locks are working.  we can walk you through it.

as far as the AC goes if you are not going to fix it why are you going to replace the compressor?  yes you can delete the rear unit but it should be done the correct way if you ever want AC again.  does it have rear heat?  highdesertranger

Duh on the handles and locks, thank you! (slaps forehead) One of the side doors is messed up, too, but it does close. I have to pull a cable to open it. Is this stuff something I can get at the junk yard also, or what's there just needs to be hooked up properly?

Not sure about the unit being a heater, but I'll check that out. As for replacing the compressor, it makes a noise after driving for awhile and I just think that would get very annoying and also might mask any other engine noises I should be listening for. As far as I can tell, it has a belt that has to go around the compressor?? I'll try to take a picture of that configuration from the engine. If I can just bypass the compressor I would certainly go that route for now and look at getting it replaced much later!

GotSmart said:
I know this will be a hard sell for you, :angel:   
Yes... this would be very hard for me to pull off. I'm not exactly the lil ol granny type!!  :p

Should be able to get the shorter belt at any parts place. Just ask for the one for your vehicle without the AC .

^^That is awesome news!! Now I can just concentrate on a tune up and be done with it! Woo hoo!!

GotSmart said:
I know this will be a hard sell for you, :angel:   but going to a wrecking yard with a "helpless granny" ;)  

Hey, if I can do it AbuelaLoca, so can you! Just ask John how much I don't resemble a 'helpless anyone'... :rolleyes:

Being blonde also helps... :D

yeah if you could get a belt that bypasses the compressor, that would be the way to go. if you have the back removed make sure they cap the lines properly so dirt and moister cannot get in. this is very important if you ever want to use the AC again. highdesertranger

Capping lines is the verbiage I couldn't remember, thank you. That's if I remove the rear unit... I will be giving it some thought. I'm back to wanting some sort of indoor shower... I'll be glad when it's done! One thing I've done the past 20 years or so is settle... What's easiest? What's cheapest? I can live without it if it means I'm not inconveniencing anyone... Now I can't make up my own damn mind!

At least you still have a mind! My marbles are rolling away! [emoji3]

Keep in mind that traveling in the southwest without air conditioning, even at speed, is miserable. Your unit may not need to be converted, there is a new type of freon to use in older units. Check with someone you trust that knows about recharging air conditioning before you yank out all the plumbing. Just my opinion but you do want to be comfortable in your travels.

Rob

Gunny said:
Keep in mind that traveling in the southwest without air conditioning, even at speed, is miserable.

That depends on when you're travelling - in the summer, hell yes, you'd need air!

In the winter months, not so  much, actually I've not needed it at all these past two winters.

I had the rear unit removed from my van - it was taking up valuable real estate and it was going to be buried under the bed/cabinets in the layout I wanted.

It's not been missed but then I've not had the a/c fixed in the front either!

If it's too hot to be in the van, I seek a shady spot, preferably by a lake... :D :D in a lawn chair, with a cold drink.

the AC compressor can spew its lubricant if turned on and not hooked upto the AC lines. Perhaps this is why yours is making noise.

My AC compressor in my Dodge has been disconnected for 12 years, just acts as a pulley. I'd need some sort of Idler pulley there to replace it, so since it is quiet, I just leave it. On the dodges, hitting the defrost tries to turn on the AC, so disconnect the electrical connector to the compressor to keep it from possibly purging its lubricant.

I also removed my rear AC unit as all it was doing was taking up valueable space.

While i Do without AC, I do enjoy it when driving other's cars in hot weather. I will never ever consider making mine work again. When mine did work it was pretty ineffective and I hated the feel of the gas pedal when it was on, and it seemed top chop off nearly 2mpg on the highway, so even when it worked I never used it.

I now have a powerful computer fan whose speed controlled by voltage on a gooseneck mounted on engine cover, that makes hot days comfortable enough and works without engine running.

But I never really travel far from Pacific, and it can be 25 degrees hotter 20 miles inland.

Those are wood runners in your fiberglass roof. Mine is similarly designed, but unfortunately uses OSB instead of plywood. It is just under 1/2 inch thick and takes a proper length screw well.

I suppose I should have made it clear I meant in the summer or hot months. I haven't needed the air conditioning once in the 50 degree weather. I should have been more specific.

Rob