Your impression of Ram Promaster 1500

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katewels

Reaction score
I think the EPA has been squeezing the manufacturers with their MPG. Both the new Dodge and Ford have very small engines, (3.6 and 3.7). A 6 speed transmission helps, but I don't know to what degree. Forget about towing much. A teardrop might be OK. I looked up the Ford a while back, and it only had a 60,000 mile powertrain warranty. That little engine is going to be working pretty hard. If you live in Kansas maybe it will be enough. In the mountains I doubt it.
Just looked up the Dodge gas warranty. looks like 60,000 miles as well. If you turn it into a camper I would say get a 3/4 ton. Batteries, water, food, cabinets, etc. all add up in weight quick.

Katewels said:
I went to see this van today...lots of room inside. I can stand up in it (barely) provided I don't add anything to the roof.  Wondering what your thoughts are.

I would like to make it into a lounging area, kitchen and bathroom, and then use the teardrop for my bedroom. Not sure if that would feel too long when driving.

http://www.registerchevrolet.net/Ve...aster-1500_Low_Roof-Brooksville-FL/2738405383

I have one but mine is the hightop   ,so for i love it . 18 to 20 mpg . here in the pittsburgh,pa area.

george warner said:
I have one but mine is the hightop   ,so for i love it . 18 to 20 mpg . here in the pittsburgh,pa area.

Is it easy to maneuver in the city? Do you carry much weight in it?

Katewels said:
Is it easy to maneuver in the city? Do you carry much weight in it?

It maneuvers really well ,a lot easier than the Ford F150 i traded in on it..  I haven't started my build on it yet. but mine is rated at 4,420# pay load and 5,100# towing.  i tow a 7x14 cargo trailer that i'm converting right now it is at 2650#  it tows really well so far.  i can park in walmart and only take up 2 spaces .   when i'm finished with the trailer and van build  i figured about  1500# in the van and the trailer about 2800 to 2900#....

From everything I have seen, it's just too early to buy a re-badged Fiat. Dodge got squeezed out of the game when they lost the contract to build Sprinters, and the quick answer was to import Fiat Ducatos and slap a Dodge sticker on them. At one time I considered it as a platform because I really liked the squared box, but there was just an over-abundance of very negative experiences both on forums and just striking up conversation with people in HD parking lot.

Be sure to carefully research the forums...it appears Dodge has instituted a buy-back program due to so many lemons...

"Thanks for the replys! I agree for what I want to use it for the Promaster is the best platform out there. Problem is I have just over 4000 miles on it and it's been in the shop over 40 days and scheduled to go back in the shop next week. I have thought about switching to the gasser up until this past weekend. There is a design flaw that allows excessive amounts of water into the rocker pannel area. I don't want a van that I built out for a camper conversion to hold water contribuiting to mold/mildew or rusting out in 4-6 years.

This was a retirement gift to myself and I planned on traveling around in it this next summer. I will be retiring in mid April, so I don't have time to wait the six months for a replacement then do the build. Even with a replacement I feel the same issues will exist.

I don't use it for work, it would strictly be a play vehicle. My plan would be to wait a couple years and look at the options out there again and pick the best option. Yes it would suck not to have a van, but I'd rather wait and see then be stuck with something that will break down/be in the shop, rust out, or mold/mildew.

I've talked with a lawyer already and it seems like going the Lemon Law wouldn't cost me too much at all."

http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87

BradKW said:
Dodge got squeezed out of the game when they lost the contract to build Sprinters, and the quick answer was to import Fiat Ducatos and slap a Dodge sticker on them.

Well they didn't lose the contract really. Mercedes owned them when they sold sprinters, and now that Fiat owns them they are selling re-badged Fiats.

It seems a lot of the new euro style vans are suffering some teething problems at the moment but I think the Ford Transit is getting the best reviews at the moment.

With either the transit or promaster I would stick with a gas engine. The sprinters had tons of problems with their diesel engines.

it was a partnership and Mercedes got fed up with Chrysler and dissolved the partnership. on another note Fiat's North American sales are disappointing and are way below expectations. don't be surprised if Fiat dissolved the partnership and pulls out of North America for the third time. the bigger question I would be asking, can Chrysler stand on it's own two feet. they have been bailed out twice by the tax payers. if Fiat pulls the plug Chrysler will need another bail out pdq. the only saving grace for Chrysler is their truck and van sales, other than that they are bankrupt in a matter of a couple of years. highdesertranger

Maybe it's just me, but I see Dodges, ProMasters, Freightliners, and to some extent Mercedes cargo Van's on my daily commutes in Pittsburgh. Almost everyone of them seems to sporting rust and pre-mature body cancer in places that you shouldn't be seeing rust. I'm not talking about old Van's, but ones that are most likely only 5-6 years old, if not newer. Because of this, I say, " no thanks"...

Well, price wise it's out of my league....$424 a month for 7 years...ouch...:)

Still the slide door is a turn off....If they had a side barn door side opening it might be more acceptable.

I own two sprinters: an 02 medium wheelbase high top and an 04 long wheelbase. Both single axle rears.

When I was looking at these, the weight rating between the dually wheels and the single light truck tire singles weren't significant enough to consider the extra headaches of dealing with 4 rear tires.

From the earliest sprinter in the US (01 or 02) up to 2007, ALL sprinters were diesel engines. In 2007 the newer body style was introduced and I believe that the new model embraced a gas motor option, which, imo, for a vehicle this size, I'd never consider one with a gas motor.

For the early US Sprinter here's how they "worked":

The units were actually manufactured in Dusseldorf Germany at the Mercedes sprinter plant. From there, the units were loaded onto containers with the drive shafts disconnected so that Chrysler could claim they were importing parts instead of a complete vehicle and paying the tariffs on a complete vehicle.

Once they arrived in the US, the drive shaft was reconnected and voila, a drivable van labeled as a Freightliner or Dodge emerged for sale.

My 2002 has the earlier non CA emissions rated engine. The 2004 has a CA emissions rated engine. There are some slight differences in the two. They use different fuel filters. There's a visible difference in the intake manifold. There's a visible difference in the EGR valve. The non-CA emissions motor has mechanical pumps while the CA emissions rated motor has an electric fuel pump. (Changing the CA rated fuel filter is MUCH easier...You don't even have to prime the new one with fuel. Bump the key a couple times and she fires right up...the non-CA rated fuel filter change? heh...let's just say I've been overdue on changing that one more than once....I have gotten better at it - doesn't mean I like doing the 02 at all though :D)

The 2002 has been through 2 EGR valves so far.

The biggest issues I've had with either truck follow:

- tensioner (2002)
- turbo (2002)
- electrical issue (2004)
- idler pully (2002)

We've done our own conversion on the 2004 for traveling. We do not live in the unit full time at this point.

There's a ton of misinformation out there about OIL for these units.

Many claim that you MUST use a very thin product by Mobil or from the dealer. The owner's manual for these clearly states the MB specification that oil needs to meet in order to not void any warranties.

There were issues with the reassembly of the drivetrains where a fluid leak would emerge at the back of the transmission. Because of the mileage I had on the vehicle when I took it in for this repair (under warranty) I was questioned about the motor oil that had been used. I was prepared for the line of questioning from due dilligence prior to purchase and I answered with "a fluid that meets the proper MB specification." Needless to say they didn't like that answer and I had to take in a quart of oil I had been using.

The 2002 is currently at 270,000 miles and the 2004 is at 173,000. I've used 15W-40 Rotella in both trucks since day one with no issue whatsoever.

Because of the tensioner, idler pulley and belt issues I've had, I started keeping a tensioner, belt and set of idler pulleys underneath the passenger seat. When we travel (usually a number of weeks to a couple of months at a time) I have a set of tools with me so that I'm prepared to service the belt, tensioner and idler pulleys if needed on the side of the road.

Both vans have been used as mobile service vehicles, so, downtime wasn't an option and I have changed the tensioner on the side of the road.

For background sake, I've never liked working under the hood of a vehicle but I actually don't mind working on the Sprinters at all. I've done my own brakes, oil changes, fuel filters, tensioner/belt related repairs since I've owned both. The best advice I could give a sprinter owner is to get a set of external torx sockets. These will make working on your 02-07 sprinter quite easy.

I have had colleagues with 02-07 sprinters that hate them. I've ridden with a couple of them. Prior to starting the business I worked in the transportation sector and for a period drove tractor trailers. In riding with those colleagues, they whaled about crazy repairs that were needed. Well, riding with them made it clear why their truck wasn't treating them well - they were driving it like a gas engine. These trucks have plenty of power at take off and flooring it from a standstill is a surefire way to reduce the vehicle's overall lifespan.

My apologies for probably the most boring read you've ever read about a sprinter. I hope it's helpful....

Bringing it back to the ProMaster topic - In my business I'm around a variety of delivery people including many that drove the same era of sprinter I have, ragged 'em out, then were given ProMaster vans.

There is a consistent point I hear about visibility: The rear edge of the door on the ProMaster has a limited view compared to the sprinter. The windshield is also shorter in height. I've also heard this: The ProMaster isn't immune to driver fatigue like the sprinter seems to be. I can attest to this as well. The whole time I've had/driven sprinters, I can say with certainty that I have never felt "driver fatigue" regardless of how far I've driven it. I have felt tired from being up a long time, working/playing hard but I have never felt driver fatigue in the sprinter at all. Quite a few of those delivery folks I know have mentioned feeling driver fatigue that they never felt in the sprinter as well.

DannyB1954 said:
I think the EPA has been squeezing the manufacturers with their MPG. Both the new Dodge and Ford have very small engines, (3.6 and 3.7).  A 6 speed transmission helps, but I don't know to what degree. Forget about towing much. A teardrop might be OK. I looked up the Ford a while back, and it only had a 60,000 mile powertrain warranty. That little engine is going to be working pretty hard. If you live in Kansas maybe it will be enough. In the mountains I doubt it.
Just looked up the Dodge gas warranty. looks like 60,000 miles as well. If you turn it into a camper I would say get a 3/4 ton. Batteries, water, food, cabinets, etc. all add up in weight quick.

I just weighed ALL of my add on gear and it came in right under 500 #, so lets say 500# of add on gear.
The converson van bed and 2 rear bucket seats that I removed weighed at least 300#.
So my van is only loaded with 200# + what ever weight my high top is over what weight it was when it came from the factory. 
So if you bought the 3/4 ton van wouldn't that be more weight in itself that the engine would have to pull around. 
Anybody know a more accurate weight for 1 conversion van bed and 2 conversion van bucket seats?

Mobilesport said:
I just weighed ALL of my add on gear and it came in right under 500 #, so lets say 500# of add on gear.
The converson van bed and 2 rear bucket seats that I removed weighed at least 300#.
So my van is only loaded with 200# + what ever weight my high top is over what weight it was when it came from the factory. 
So if you bought the 3/4 ton van wouldn't that be more weight in itself that the engine would have to pull around. 
Anybody know a more accurate weight for 1 conversion van bed and 2 conversion van bucket seats?

How much do you weigh? Add that to the list. A passenger, add that too. Water is 8 lb a gallon, want to take 10 gallons. 80lb. Going to add solar later? figure a couple of hundred, (most batteries are heavy). 
So sometimes you have to choose the lesser of two evils. Overload a half ton, or suffer lower gas mileage with 3/4 ton. The rear end ratio is usually different between 1/2 and 3/4 ton, so I don't know if the engine would have to work harder. 

I have since been reading on the ford engine. It actually makes more power than the V8.

I haven't done any research or heard any reliability reports (either good or bad) on the promasters yet, but as far as European style vans go I think they are the best looking. Every time I'm behind one on the highway or at a red light I start thinking the big boxy shape would be a great platform for a conversion.

+1 on "run away!"

Fiat USA is in the midst of some serious reliability issues along with several recalls.
The little '500' model occupies last place in Consumer Reports ratings. The Promaster vans are being pummeled by lemon law complaints.
There's a huge recall of Jeeps, Dodges, and Chryslers due to transmissions not going into 'Park' properly....the actor who played 'Chekov' in the new Star Trek movies was killed by his 2015 Jeep Cherokee that rolled down his driveway and pinned him against his brick mailbox....ironically his recall notice came to that mailbox 1 week AFTER his death....his parents just filed a wrongful death suit.
BTW...the new Jeep Cherokee introduced in 2014 is nothing but a rebadged Alpha Romeo model (Fiat owns them too). Alpha didn't survive in the USA either, even with the free advertising from "The Graduate" movie.

This is Fiat's 3rd attempt at life in America....I say 3 strikes and yer out!   :mad:

They are enticing because of the excellent gas mileage and they look good, but the folks at Enterprise told me their Promasters were in the shop frequently and it was hard to get parts for them. They had stopped carrying them a couple of months earlier. The Chevy's and the Ford's they didn't have much trouble with.