Dodge ram van with high topper, how high to mount window air conditioner?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tundrawolf

Reaction score
Hi, 

I have a 99 Dodge Ram Van 1500 that I put a tall (About 30") fiberglass topper on. 

I am going to be moving back into the van soon, and I am preparing it for living conditions once again. 

My options to mount the AC unit are, towards the very top of the van in the topper (There is a ledge perfect for it), or, in one of the double-doors in the rear. I may sleep up top again, I cut out the roof of the van and had wooden slats that held a mattress, but it didn't leave me a lot of room up there, and every day I had to fold the mattress up and stack the slats, which was fine at first, but eventually just became tedius. 

I was thinking now, of hanging a hammock inside and using that to sleep in, or possibly a mattress on the floor. If I sleep up top, the air conditioner up top would be a good idea, but possibly not a good idea if I am sleeping in the hammock? Does cool air fall (As hot air rises)? So putting the AC in the rear window would not cool the upper air... 

I am not sure what to do, here...

You are correct, cold air falls. The higher you can mount it the better. Mine vents out right next to the ceiling and the further away from it, the ceiling gets a lot warmer.

I'd be leery of cutting into that fiberglass and maybe weakening that area. If you removed a window from a rear door and boxed it in with plywood or whatever, you can always go back to the way it was if need be.

Maybe not as efficient as up top but shouldn't be a huge difference in that small of a space.

if install it in the rear of the van, aren't you concerned about CO entering while you drive. highdesertranger

Just leave the A/C in the recirculating position and not fresh air while driving. My A/C has that feature and it is a window unit.

I have never seen one that actually seals that well. do they? even the slightly better than cheap ones that we install don't seal well. highdesertranger

I don't remember when they mandated it but vehicles are built for a 10% cabin air exchange even with everything closed op. The amount of air that would come in through that small opening would be mixed with the fresh. I haven't had the yawns from driving with mine (unlike riding in a pack of harley's).

There are also covers that are placed over the outside of the AC. For when they aren't used during the winter.

Those small ACs have a hard time in extreme heat. Place it so it can directly blow on you while sleeping and/or sitting, that way you can stay cool even if it can't keep up with cooling the entire rig.
cold AC.jpg

Attachments

• cold AC.jpg
    cold AC.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 5